Fat and curves are NOT the same thing

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I understand how Christina must have felt. It's just strange the way in which people focus on women's bodies. A woman is an inspiration because of something she has accomplished or done, not because of her body shape. It doesn't feel good to a woman when she feels like people are always eyeing her body and judging and measuring and making comparisons. It's just pitting women against each other. People act like we as women have so much control over our body type. We constantly are being asked to defend our body types and prove that we fit the words that describe our bodies. It's so absurd, really. People post threads like this and end up in fights and competitions about who is curvier or whatever. We all have different body types and yes curvy can have many different meanings. By some definitions I'm not curvy. But, I do have a curvy figure (there is a 10 inch difference in my waist to hip ratio). I have a woman's body, just overall smaller in size because I have a curvy, but very small frame. But, woman want to love and enjoy their bodies. I am all for that! I just think that we can do that without making comparisons about how other bodies are bad. We can talk about what we love about ourselves without saying it's better than...or I love my body because I would never want to look like... Or all bodies are good except for... It's just ignorance really. None of what I am saying is directed at the person that posted this link, it's just my general response from having seen this interview previously and from these general types of forum topics on mfp.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I understand how Christina must have felt. It's just strange the way in which people focus on women's bodies. A women is an inspiration because of something she has accomplished or done, not because of her body shape. It doesn't feel good to a woman when she feels like people are always eyeing her body and judging and measuring and making comparisons. It's just pitting women against each other. People act like we as women have so much control over our body type. We constantly are being asked to defend our body types and prove that we fit the words that describe our bodies. It's so absurd, really. People post threads like this and end up in fights and competitions about who is curvier or whatever. We all have different body types and yes curvy can have many different meanings. By some definitions I'm not curvy. But, I do have a curvy figure (there is a 10 inch difference in my waist to hip ratio). I have a woman's body, just overall smaller in size because I have a curvy, but very small frame. But, woman want to love and enjoy their bodies. I am all for that! I just think that we can do that without making comparisons about how other bodies are bad. We can talk about what we love about ourselves without saying it's better than...or I love my body because I would never want to look like... Or all bodies are good except for... It's just ignorance really. None of what I am saying is directed at the person that posted this link, it's just my general response from having seen this interview previously and from these general types of forum topics on mfp.

its not just women. its everyone about everything. we do it to all types of people everyday about everything.

reminds me of that guy from extreme make over who was wrongfully imprisoned because "he looked like a criminal". Then later they found out it was not him, he lost years from being judged. i have not ever met the person who does not do it on some level.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I'm glad we cleared this up once and for all. It's a revelation.

Now we can move on to more pressing issues, such as whether or not muscle weighs more than fat.
  • TinyDancer0691
    TinyDancer0691 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    she would have to learn how to type / spell / punctuate properly first :bigsmile:

Wow. Just - wow. The post may not be typed perfectly, so what?! I think its YOU who needs to learn a few things, MANNERS being top of the list. Growing up might be another priority.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have backwards curves. ( ) Not ) (

Actually, more of a sideways m for a few rolls.

lol, i just saw that...fun stuff!
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Id consider myself curvy....not fat....and there is a difference....smooth nice curves that dont jiggle all over :P haha
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Exactly! At my heaviest, I had curves. Now, at 152(was 149, but my body is being stupid or my scale lied last time), I STILL have those curves, only they're smaller. lol.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    God knows my boobs haven't gone anywhere. Still a 36D. They could go down a little if they wanted too after all I dont use them to their advantage like I used to. But I'm still curvy and beautiful.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to attack the OP for bringing up a sensitive topic. Some might consider that the use of the term "curves" and "curvy" has been hijacked for politically correct purposes. The definition of "curvy" seems ot have changed over the years.

In short, I don't think "vanity labels" do any of us any good either.
  • MyCornerOnline
    MyCornerOnline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ..... having babies widens the hips.......

..................just say'in :laugh:
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think every woman here wants to be healthy and thinner. And I'd like to lose weight for curves as well! :)

However, some of us aren't obsessed with the idea of having flat bellies and looking like a woman on the cover of Shape magazine. All power to those who are, but I'd be happy to be a normal, healthy size.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    You can be curvy and thin and curvy and fat. Curvy comes in all shapes and sizes.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I think every woman here wants to be healthy and thinner. And I'd like to lose weight for curves as well! :)

However, some of us aren't obsessed with the idea of having flat bellies and looking like a woman on the cover of Shape magazine. All power to those who are, but I'd be happy to be a normal, healthy size.
    "normal" is a relative term, really.
    I think if you talked to 100 different women, they'd have 100 different ideas of "normal".
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    she would have to learn how to type / spell / punctuate properly first :bigsmile:

Wow. Just - wow. The post may not be typed perfectly, so what?! I think its YOU who needs to learn a few things, MANNERS being top of the list. Growing up might be another priority.

Thanks sweetie! I mean realky, this is mfp not English class lol
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Since I've never been thin, I'm just worried I won't be able to recognize myself if I get too thin and that my bf won't think I'm attractive anymore. Basically, curvy is the only flattering word that applies to my figure at the moment, if I can't use that I guess I'll just go back to using "fatty mcfat-fat." :(
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

Who says flat bellies arent normal? I actually think they are, but most ppl these days are overweight so its become abnormal. Fit=heealthy imo
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    But which weighs more...curves or fat?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    But which weighs more...curves or fat?

Muscle... duh! *wink*
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So inform me of this:

How does this immediately impact your life? Are you not able to make it to work because of this revelation? Are you going to write a book?

LMAO!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'm boy shaped...but with boobs and butt...just not a very hour-glass figure.

I like my butt and boobs...but I'm proportionate. When I lose weight, i lose all over. So you can't really tell I lost my boobs and butt.