Women - are you walking or jogging at 4mph?

Options

Replies

• Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I am jogging at 3.7ish... I just figured it was because of my height.
  • asilmot123
    asilmot123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is walking for me as well. I'm 5'5" and I don't start running until 4.8 on the treadmill - I have always been a fast walker.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    walking until 4.8, then jogging
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    That's a really fast walk for me.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Im a big fatty so it is jogging for me.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Too awkward to jog at that speed. I find that 4.7 is when I start to jog , My slow-moderate jogs are 5.0-6.0mph.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    4mph is really awkward for me. and I am really tall. If I'm going to walk, I'd rather it be 3.5 or so and if I'm jogging, I'd rather it be closer to 5...
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Im a big fatty so it is jogging for me.

Please do't talk about yourself this way. There are enough folks out there willing to cut us down for not being cookie-cutter stick figures. We don't need to do it for ourselves.
    BTW... love that haircut!
  • adenajoy
    adenajoy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5 and have short legs. 4mph = too fast to walk comfortably, too slow to jog comfortably. I'm usually at 4.2mph for a steady jog, 5mph is getting into sprint land, and the fatest i've tried is 7.2mph which is a serious-about-to-fall-off-the-machine sprint. I am walking briskly at 3 - 3.5 mph.
  • Sh5073a
    Sh5073a Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar question this morning. I go for a walk/jog a few times a week. I jog most of it, but I'm certainly not running like the track and field kids that pass me by! Either way, I've calculated I'm walking/jogging at about 3.8 mph. I'm 5.6 and 206 lbs so even though 3.8 mph is not a full sprint, I still sweat and feel my heart rate is higher than when I walk fast.

The following is a copy of a response with a link I found very helpful. I think jogging burns more cals than walking the same distance if you are jogging below a certain speed. Check it out.

****************** Response copy****************
    Tue 11/27/12 12:05 PM

If you're jogging is approaching the 10 min mile (or even a 12 min mile) that's 5-6 mph which would make for very fast walking.

In general your net calorie burn (ie additional calories burned as a result of exercise) will be approx .63 x your body weight per mile for running and .30 x your body weight per mile for walking.

Here's an article you may want to read....

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single

QUOTE:

In fact, I had read years ago that fast walking burns more calories than running at the same speed. Now was the time to test this hypothesis. Wearing a heart-rate monitor, I ran on a treadmill for two minutes at 3.0 mph (20 minutes per mile), and at 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, and 5.5 mph (10:55 per mile). After a 10-minute rest to allow my heart rate to return to normal, I repeated the same thing walking. Here's my running vs. walking heart rate at the end of each two-minute stint: 3.0 (99/81), 3.5 (104/85), 4.0 (109/94), 4.5 (114/107), 5.0 (120/126), 5.5 (122/145). My conclusion: Running is harder than walking at paces slower than 12-minutes-per-mile. At faster paces, walking is harder than running.

Edited by BrianSharpe on Tue 11/27/12 12:06 PM
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Jogging at 4.0- I'm 5'3" and 129 lbs.
  • Sh5073a
    Sh5073a Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oops! forgot to also say (and I'm definitely no expert) that how many calories you burn probably also depends on whether you're walking/jogging outdoors vs a threamill.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I was jogging at 4mph. Last week, I decided to see if I would do better at 5mph and I did pretty good. Glad I'm not the only one who is jogging at 4mph
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I do both depends on my mood.. I'm 5'3
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and 4.5 is about my limit for walking. It is more comfortable for me to jog than walk above that, even though my jogging is pretty slow.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I jog at around 4.5 mph (jogging in place), walking at around 5 mph, outside jogging at around 5.5 mph and moderate running at 6 mph. =)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.2 mph
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I am just under 5'2".
    When I started, it was a tough walk at 3.0 for me. Now, my walk is regularly about 3.7.
    4.0 used to be a run, now it is a walk/ jog. When I do jog sprints now, if it is for a longer period it is in the 4.3 range, sprints in the 4.7 - 5.0 range.

One of my long term fitness goals is to average better than a 10 minute mile (6.0) for three miles - a 5K in 30 minutes or less.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    walking. the more you run the faster you can walk.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm new in my exercise lifestyle, so a walk for me is 3.2 mph on the treadmill.