MFP Friending 101

Options

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like knowing where you found me in the forums, or through a mutual friend or what not but I would rather add any requests then delete if needed. I think everyone deserves a chance to be part of a fun and supportive network on this journey.

I guess I don't really have criteria for adding, but I do for deleting. If you haven't been on in a month or so, or have never interacted with me but collect friends I may delete. I have only ever deleted one person for pro-ed behaviour though supposedly several years into recovery. I don't like being criticized for the glass of Malbec that fits my cals because I'll never get a thigh gap lol.

I hope that answered your question OP
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just want to know you are literate and have some sense of humor. Bonus if you're a sarcastic person. I don't think I ask for much.

LOVE this...

I just want to know:

1) how you found me
    or
    2) why you thought it would be a good idea for us to be friends.

That's it. I'm not friend collecting, and I REALLY mean it when I say I want to be supportive to my friends, and that I want my friends to be supportive of me, too.

Pretty much both of these....I did accept a blank one today though, more out of curiosity than anything else.

1) Found you on MFP - Stating the obvious

2) Ever thought that people invite you as a friend to follow your posts for advice, or to be inspired by your dedication and discipline...

I noticed a ton of these people who shed the weight has gained it back in arrogance...

Probably half of my friends that requested me did not send a message but I still added them. I have never declined someone. I just PREFER a little "hello message". :smile: None required though...
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! :drinker:. I mean, it's right there in my profile *Please send a message with your FR. If you do not send a message, I will not accept*. IF they do not send a message I would assume that they either can't read, don't read, or are just creepy stalker people!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't accept friend requests, because I am anti-social and weird.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    a message is nice, I always send one. it feels weird not too. no message is still a message "I am a totally random person that somehow thinks you would be cool to get to know but I can't find the words to express it to you".

I've added non-messagers. but honestly it's great to know if we have something in common.

I want to know people who are give and take with support and humor is a bonus. it's nice if we are around the same age or following similar lifestyles or activities but it's not really criteria. I start deleting when people haven't logged in for months (sorry people! I'm sure there's a good reason) or if you literally added me but have never said one word to me even if I write on your wall or respond to your status messages. Aren't we all here for support or am I at the wrong place??
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Some of the people in this post are absolutely not the kind of friends I'd want anyway. If they somehow snuck through my filter, there would be a race between us to delete. Thin skin need not apply.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    that's cool, at least you are honest! but are you here to get support? do you post mostly in the forums then?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to be friends with someone who doesn't care enough to even say hello?

That's what seems weird to me.

Personally, I deny people every day for this simple breach of etiquette. I also clean out my FL a couple of times a week to keep it to people who are supportive, active, and awesome. *GASP*

For everyone else, there's sarahwhynacht.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    sum form literassy ? ....I'm out
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    Options
    Why would you want to be friends with someone who doesn't care enough to even say hello?

Personally, I deny people every day for this simple breach of etiquette. I also clean out my FL a couple of times a week to keep it to people who are supportive, active, and awesome. *GASP*

Excuse me?
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

What's your requirement in a friend request?

[/quote]

How you doin? lol
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Excuse me?

Well, you did say you don't decline anyone....
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    Options

Excuse me?

Well, you did say you don't decline anyone....

Yes, I did say that. HOWEVER, I do clean out my FL quite often and seem to follow similar rules as you. Don't worry, no FR coming your way from me - not that you will care anyway.
  • ahart78
    ahart78 Posts: 28
    Options
    Why concern yourself over such menial things? I am just glad I am able to inspire others and be inspired, I don't need a message or a justification for a friendship.

exactly!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    that's cool, at least you are honest! but are you here to get support? do you post mostly in the forums then?
    I post in the forums, but am not really looking for support.
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    Folks, we all know it's just good common sense to include a message with your friend request. So, please, stop sending me and my friends blank requests. There WILL be a test on this later. Class dismissed.

2rzs4ro.jpg

What's your requirement in a friend request? Do they have to mention something you stated in your profile? Share a favorite exercise or similar diet? I know at least one person that requires answers to 3 random questions. I'm considering implementing a personality test.

I honestly Like this a lot:):) I agree totally:):)

Personally, I just want to know you are literate and have some sense of humor. Bonus if you're a sarcastic *kitten*. I don't think I ask for much.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I post in the forums, but am not really looking for support.

Off topic..

Thanks for your valuable input on the forum as I enjoy reading your posts
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    OP you are one of my friend favorites because you make me giggle.

Seriously though, I don't know why it is a big deal.

Let us play the scenario real quick

"Friend Request from Zachatta: No message"

Hmmm, ok ill chance this: add.

"Message from Zachatta: Hi I am a creeper insert 10000 inappropriate comments here without even saying hello first"

Oh wow that was a terrible idea;

"Delete; Block"

Can't be that scary can it?
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    Options
    OP you are one of my friend favorites because you make me giggle.

Seriously though, I don't know why it is a big deal.

Let us play the scenario real quick

"Friend Request from Zachatta: No message"

Hmmm, ok ill chance this: add.

"Message from Zachatta: Hi I am a creeper insert 10000 inappropriate comments here without even saying hello first"

Oh wow that was a terrible idea;

"Delete; Block"

Can't be that scary can it?

EXACTLY!!!
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i dont get friend requests :(