Has anyone tried the oatmeal diet?

Options
So I started it five days ago, and I was sick of it on day three. I still eat oatmeal for breakfast and luch, but eat a healthy dinner and I could not believe my eyes, but the scale says I have lost 7lbs. Anyone else get fast results from this diet????

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Generally when you start a new diet, you drop a lot of lbs in the first week. Unfortunately, it's also almost always water weight at first. If you are eating less calories than you're taking in, then you'll lose, but that much weight in a week is probably just gonna come back :(

I love my oatmeal, and eat it frequently, but that much of it would be just too carb intensive for me. I need some protein in there :)

I wish you the best of luck!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Any diet that is based on one food is just bad for you. You will not get all the nutrients you need and you get sick of eating the same food, so you are more likely to give up and eat back your weight.

Just eat varied. As long as you are eating less calories, you will lose weight.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was an oatmeal diet but I eat oatmeal with apples every day for breakfast and oatmeal with pumpkin every day for lunch. I'm in maintenance but I've been doing good on the scale.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Any diet where you (insert food here) isn't going to work and is going to be boring. I have no idea why it's so hard for people to figure out that losing weight comes down to simple calories in/calories out. You only have to eat use more calories in a day than what you eat to lose weight. It can be carrots, oatmeal or Twinkies, there's no magic food that makes you thin.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Any diet where you (insert food here) isn't going to work and is going to be boring. I have no idea why it's so hard for people to figure out that losing weight comes down to simple calories in/calories out. You only have to eat use more calories in a day than what you eat to lose weight. It can be carrots, oatmeal or Twinkies, there's no magic food that makes you thin.

Amen! Unless you have a medical condition that limits your intake of certain food groups (Celiac disease, diabetes, PCOS, etc), just a diet of moderation with a calorie deficit. Try to get most of your calories from nutritious foods and then have some of your calories for "treats." It really is that simple.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Seems like an awesome way to be deficient in protein and fats and your micros
    Phase One

Dieters eat nothing but oatmeal for the first week.
    You can eat ½ cup of oatmeal for each meal, which may be combined with ½ cup of skim milk if desired.
    Only whole oatmeal is allowed.
    Instant oatmeal and granola bars should be avoided for the first seven days.
    Calorie consumption for the first seven days should be between 900-1200 calories per day.

Phase Two

For the next 30 days dieters continue having ½ cup of oatmeal three times a day in addition to their regular diet.
    Instant oatmeal is now permitted.
    Calories may now be increased slightly to 1000-1300 per day.
    A morning snack of ½ cup of fruit and an afternoon snack of ½ cup raw vegetables are allowed.

Phase Three

After 30 days you may begin to eat your normal diet while continuing with one meal and one snack of oatmeal daily.
    Dieters are advised to limit their intake of fats when returning to normal eating.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I could never do this I hate oatmeal
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Phase One

Dieters eat nothing but oatmeal for the first week.
    You can eat ½ cup of oatmeal for each meal, which may be combined with ½ cup of skim milk if desired.
    Only whole oatmeal is allowed.
    Instant oatmeal and granola bars should be avoided for the first seven days.
    Calorie consumption for the first seven days should be between 900-1200 calories per day.

Phase Two

For the next 30 days dieters continue having ½ cup of oatmeal three times a day in addition to their regular diet.
    Instant oatmeal is now permitted.
    Calories may now be increased slightly to 1000-1300 per day.
    A morning snack of ½ cup of fruit and an afternoon snack of ½ cup raw vegetables are allowed.

Phase Three

After 30 days you may begin to eat your normal diet while continuing with one meal and one snack of oatmeal daily.
    Dieters are advised to limit their intake of fats when returning to normal eating.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you can eat ice cream and cheese poofs at 900 calories and lose weight too, does it mean it's healthy for you? No!! Stop fad dieting and find out your bmr and tdee and eat accordingly.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    There's nothing special about the oatmeal that makes you lose. It's just another way of restricting your calories, like the Special K diet, or slimfast. They make it easy to restrict your calories because you don't have to make actual choices about what to eat. They might work to drop some pounds, but at some point you're going to have to go back to eating a more varied diet and, faced with the usual temptations, have to make those choices again. These diets don't teach you any good habits for sustainable weight loss, and eating only (or mostly) oatmeal is not going to get you all the nutrients your body needs.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You'll either get sick of lack of nutrients by the end of it or just get sick because you are sick of oatmeal.

I like oatmeal and I get tired just from having it a few days in a row for breakfast. How on earth do they expect anyone to survive when it's their only meal?

This borders on being dangerous and anyone actually following it must be completely nuts!
  • maryannevitt
    maryannevitt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but that diet even the thought of it sorta makes me sick to think about it. i centainly dont know the answer to losing weight but thats not for me!
  • 256Sept12
    Options
    like others have said, diets where you eat just one food for the most part...don't work in the long run. Its only a quick fix.
    Youll get sick of it and when you go back to eating a variety of foods..youll gain weight back.

Eat a variety of foods, watch your calorie and carb intake...and exercise often.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and eat it for breakfast several times a week, but with nothing but skim milk? *gag* And who wants to eat oatmeal 2 or 3 times a day for the rest of their life to lose or maintain weight? Pass! :tongue:

I load my oatmeal up with goodness - 1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt, walnuts, honey, cinnamon, and some fruit - raisins, fresh peaches, pears, bananas - whatever I've got on hand. Filling and delicious, and not boring! Although it could be if that's all I ate every day. I alternate my oatmeal mornings with eggs & wheat toast, and sometimes go wild and add bacon or pancakes! And the fat is still coming off.

Down with fad diets! Sustainable lifestyle change for the win!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Any diet that is based on one food is just bad for you. You will not get all the nutrients you need and you get sick of eating the same food, so you are more likely to give up and eat back your weight.

Just eat varied. As long as you are eating less calories, you will lose weight.

^^^^This!!!!!
  • lalalove4
    lalalove4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    no duh! all i wanted to know was whether anyone else tried it. i know it leaves you pretty deficient in a lot of nutrients, but i also take vitamins and i actually am more energized and still work out everyday. i just read about people dropping about 15lbs in two weeks and losing that much weight in a week just seemed outrageous, so i wanted to know if anyone here had a success story from that diet.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and eat it 6 days a week, but I dont want it twice a day with nothing else in it, bland, boring and not very nutritious
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I usually eat baked oatmeal every day for breakfast, but that's plenty for me, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    no duh! all i wanted to know was whether anyone else tried it. i know it leaves you pretty deficient in a lot of nutrients, but i also take vitamins and i actually am more energized and still work out everyday. i just read about people dropping about 15lbs in two weeks and losing that much weight in a week just seemed outrageous, so i wanted to know if anyone here had a success story from that diet.
    I honestly wouldn't consider losing 15 lbs in 2 weeks a "success story". You're not going to lose 15lbs of fat in that time.

As far as nutrients go, it's more than just micronutrients you need to think about, you need a good balance of protein/carbs/fat. Also, the body doesn't absorb vitamins and minerals from pills as well as it does from real food, so they're definitely not a substitute for a balanced diet.

Bottom line is, people will lose weight on this diet because of the calorie deficit, not because there's anything special about oatmeal. People here are just suggesting that you create that deficit with a varied, balanced diet. Up to you though.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    No duh, really?!?!?! People are telling you it is a bad idea, whether you take vitamins are not.

And how are you getting 1200 calories from what is 1.5 cups of oatmeal and 1.5 cups of skim milk??

And I call bs on being more energized. This is a stupid diet.
  • lalalove4
    lalalove4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Again, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on why I shouldn't eat freakin oatmeal! All I asked is whether anyone did it, no one here lives with me to call my statement "bs". The straight oatmeal is only for a week and the rest is 1300/day including oatmeal and other healthy choices.