Has anyone tried the oatmeal diet?

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Again, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on why I shouldn't eat freakin oatmeal! All I asked is whether anyone did it, no one here lives with me to call my statement "bs". The straight oatmeal is only for a week and the rest is 1300/day including oatmeal and other healthy choices.

Clearly you haven't posted on the boards to realize that questions like this are going to bring a stream of people who will call you an idiot, moron, etc. etc. etc. just for asking.

Personally I have never tried any diet where I was allowed to eat only one thing for a certain amount of time and then "add back" other items. IMO it's going to lead to you (and by you I mean the person trying this) being hungry, irritable and just plain miserable all around. Not only that but I'd get bored of eating the same food daily. While I'm sure people have lost weight on the diet it could very well be because the calories are so incredibly limited in the beginning.

I say skip the "diet" and just eat healthy and balanced meals.
  • lalalove4
    lalalove4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    By the way, I don't think cheese puffs and twinkies can do this folks. Nothing special about oatmeal?

1. Lowers Cholesterol

Oatmeal contains a special strand of fiber called beta-glucan that studies have shown reduces levels of bad cholesterol—and as high cholesterol is a major risk factor associated with heart disease and strokes, a daily bowl of oatmeal could be a life saver! A daily dose of three grams of fiber, the amount found in one bowl of oatmeal, can lower cholesterol by up to 23 percent and reduce the risk of heat disease by almost half.

2. Boosts Immune System

Oatmeal’s beta-gluten fiber does more than protect your heart. Beta-gluten can also amp up our immune systems and help fight bacterial infections by helping non-specific immune cells called neutrophils (our body’s first line of defense against pathogens) quickly locate and heal infected tissues.

3. Special Antioxidants for Heart Protection

Oatmeal not only lowers bad cholesterol but protects good cholesterol! Oatmeal contains special antioxidants called avenanthramides that prevent free radicals from attacking good cholesterol, which also helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

4. Stabilizes Blood Sugar

Because oatmeal is so rich in fiber, eating it in the morning will help stabilize your blood sugar throughout the day and prevent those mid-morning or mid-afternoon “crashes” that results from eating refined sugars and carbs.

5. Lowers Risk of Diabetes

Speaking of blood sugar, eating oatmeal can also help reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Oatmeal contains high amounts of magnesium, which help the body to properly use glucose and secrete insulin. An eight-year trial showed a 19 percent decrease in type 2 diabetes risk in women with a magnesium-rich diet and a 31 percent risk decrease in women who regularly ate whole grains. Like to enjoy your oatmeal with milk? Eating low-fat dairy products reduces the risk of diabetes by 13 percent.

6. Prevents Breast Cancer

Studies have shown that a diet rich in fiber can protect against breast cancer, particularly if the fiber comes from whole grains. A UK Women’s Cohort Study found that pre-menopausal women who ate fiber from whole grains had a 41 percent less risk of developing breast cancer, while fiber sourced from fruit only offer a 29 percent reduction rate.

7. Gluten-Friendly

Although oatmeal contains a small amount of gluten, studies have shown that oatmeal is well tolerated by both adults and children with celiac disease.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Again, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on why I shouldn't eat freakin oatmeal! All I asked is whether anyone did it, no one here lives with me to call my statement "bs". The straight oatmeal is only for a week and the rest is 1300/day including oatmeal and other healthy choices.
    I could be wrong, but having looked at the posts, I don't think anyone's telling you not to eat oatmeal. Personally, I love it and have it for breakfast 3 or 4 days a week. People are just giving their opinions that it's not very healthy to have a diet of just one food, and that you'd probably be better off eating a more balanced diet. It kind of seems like you're looking for someone to tell you it's a good idea. It's your choice though, so if eating the oatmeal diet works for you, go for it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    By the way, I don't think cheese puffs and twinkies can do this folks. Nothing special about oatmeal?

1. Lowers Cholesterol

Oatmeal contains a special strand of fiber called beta-glucan that studies have shown reduces levels of bad cholesterol—and as high cholesterol is a major risk factor associated with heart disease and strokes, a daily bowl of oatmeal could be a life saver! A daily dose of three grams of fiber, the amount found in one bowl of oatmeal, can lower cholesterol by up to 23 percent and reduce the risk of heat disease by almost half.

2. Boosts Immune System

Oatmeal’s beta-gluten fiber does more than protect your heart. Beta-gluten can also amp up our immune systems and help fight bacterial infections by helping non-specific immune cells called neutrophils (our body’s first line of defense against pathogens) quickly locate and heal infected tissues.

3. Special Antioxidants for Heart Protection

Oatmeal not only lowers bad cholesterol but protects good cholesterol! Oatmeal contains special antioxidants called avenanthramides that prevent free radicals from attacking good cholesterol, which also helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

4. Stabilizes Blood Sugar

Because oatmeal is so rich in fiber, eating it in the morning will help stabilize your blood sugar throughout the day and prevent those mid-morning or mid-afternoon “crashes” that results from eating refined sugars and carbs.

5. Lowers Risk of Diabetes

Speaking of blood sugar, eating oatmeal can also help reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Oatmeal contains high amounts of magnesium, which help the body to properly use glucose and secrete insulin. An eight-year trial showed a 19 percent decrease in type 2 diabetes risk in women with a magnesium-rich diet and a 31 percent risk decrease in women who regularly ate whole grains. Like to enjoy your oatmeal with milk? Eating low-fat dairy products reduces the risk of diabetes by 13 percent.

6. Prevents Breast Cancer

Studies have shown that a diet rich in fiber can protect against breast cancer, particularly if the fiber comes from whole grains. A UK Women’s Cohort Study found that pre-menopausal women who ate fiber from whole grains had a 41 percent less risk of developing breast cancer, while fiber sourced from fruit only offer a 29 percent reduction rate.

7. Gluten-Friendly

Although oatmeal contains a small amount of gluten, studies have shown that oatmeal is well tolerated by both adults and children with celiac disease.

So you should undereat and only eat oatmeal, sounds like an awesome plan, best of luck
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    What about the eat whatever you want in moderation while in a deficit and lose weight diet?
    I hear it works wonders!
  • lalalove4
    Options
    Apparently you didn't read the diet plan that you posted! Straight oatmeal was only for a week!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    no duh! all i wanted to know was whether anyone else tried it. i know it leaves you pretty deficient in a lot of nutrients, but i also take vitamins and i actually am more energized and still work out everyday. i just read about people dropping about 15lbs in two weeks and losing that much weight in a week just seemed outrageous, so i wanted to know if anyone here had a success story from that diet.

So you know it's not good for you, but you are promoting it (by bringing it to people's attention). Not sure what you are going for here.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Even though you are offended by some of the replies, please do not discard the advice because it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Weight loss is largely a function of energy balance. There's ZERO reason to create an energy deficit using only 1 food.

I would urge you to learn some basics about nutrition. I am saying this to help you, not to hurt you.

Your choice what you do with the information.
  • lalalove4
    Options
    I never said it was bad for me and I am not asking anyone to do it. I just asked if anyone has done it!? I don't know what the point to your stament is.:smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and eat it 6 days a week, but I dont want it twice a day with nothing else in it, bland, boring and not very nutritious

my thoughts exactly!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    d30dd_ORIG-Popcorn_02_Stephen_Colbert_zpsca3b54f7.gif
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal in panfakes, meatloaf, cookies and cake.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    LMAO! So there is an oatmeal diet? This is a new one.

Can someone please pass the popcorn?:glasses:
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I don't blame ya for getting annoyed! :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord! I know about nutrition, I am a freakin nurse! All I did was try a diet and ask if anyone had done it! Do you not know how to read!?

Yet you admit that you know it robs your body of many nutrients and you proceed to defend it anyway..

You could lose the same amount of weight by eating 1,200 calories of anything else.
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    d30dd_ORIG-Popcorn_02_Stephen_Colbert_zpsca3b54f7.gif

bahahaha! and a nurse huh? thought BSN or a LPN? cause participating in fad dieting isnt exactuly a well educated plan! LMAO
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal in the mornings before I exercise. It can be bland at times so sometimes i switch and eat the Kashi honey one. Tastes yummy :)
  • lalalove4
    Options
    i am done with the 7 day thing and moved on to the 1300 calories a day with oatmeal included in the diet! If you are sooo concerened about my health, then I guess I'll keep you all updated on my daily calorie intake!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Seems like an awesome way to be deficient in protein and fats and your micros
    Phase One

Dieters eat nothing but oatmeal for the first week.
    You can eat ½ cup of oatmeal for each meal, which may be combined with ½ cup of skim milk if desired.
    Only whole oatmeal is allowed.
    Instant oatmeal and granola bars should be avoided for the first seven days.
    Calorie consumption for the first seven days should be between 900-1200 calories per day.

Phase Two

For the next 30 days dieters continue having ½ cup of oatmeal three times a day in addition to their regular diet.
    Instant oatmeal is now permitted.
    Calories may now be increased slightly to 1000-1300 per day.
    A morning snack of ½ cup of fruit and an afternoon snack of ½ cup raw vegetables are allowed.

Phase Three

After 30 days you may begin to eat your normal diet while continuing with one meal and one snack of oatmeal daily.
    Dieters are advised to limit their intake of fats when returning to normal eating.

I would get sick of oatmeal real fast and I love the stuff. I could eat it everyday for breakfast, but not like this for the rest of my life. So, then after 30 days I might gain the weight back :sad:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord! I know about nutrition, I am a freakin nurse! All I did was try a diet and ask if anyone had done it! Do you not know how to read!?

it is truly sad that a "nurse" would even consider eating only oatmeal for a week