Has anyone tried the oatmeal diet?

Options

Replies

• ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Seems like an awesome way to be deficient in protein and fats and your micros
    Phase One

Dieters eat nothing but oatmeal for the first week.
    You can eat ½ cup of oatmeal for each meal, which may be combined with ½ cup of skim milk if desired.
    Only whole oatmeal is allowed.
    Instant oatmeal and granola bars should be avoided for the first seven days.
    Calorie consumption for the first seven days should be between 900-1200 calories per day.

Phase Two

For the next 30 days dieters continue having ½ cup of oatmeal three times a day in addition to their regular diet.
    Instant oatmeal is now permitted.
    Calories may now be increased slightly to 1000-1300 per day.
    A morning snack of ½ cup of fruit and an afternoon snack of ½ cup raw vegetables are allowed.

Phase Three

After 30 days you may begin to eat your normal diet while continuing with one meal and one snack of oatmeal daily.
    Dieters are advised to limit their intake of fats when returning to normal eating.

Seems legit.

Not really.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Now that I've read the whole thread here...OP, I'm just wondering WHY you would want to do this when you could get better, sustainable results from eating all sorts of foods. I get that the oatmeal three times a day only lasts for a week - but why would you even want to do that?
  • STLMel
    STLMel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the oatmeal diet, but I eat it for breakfast at least 5 days a week. I like it because it because it's filling and stays with you. You just have to change it up, I prepare it most of the time 2 and 3 days ahead, put in the fridge and microwave it in the morning. I put various things in it, greek yogurt, fresh or frozen fruit, peanut butter, chia seeds, pumpkin puree or protein powder.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have dropped my lbs and changed my body significantly eating oatmeal almost every day for the last 6mo. Would I eat it more than once a day? Hellz no. I dress it up with fruit, or poached eggs and hot sauce, or peanut butter and cocoa, or pumpkin and vanilla protein powder....the possibilities for a nutritious cheap meal are virtually endless with oatmeal. Don't make yourself so sick of it that you never want it again by trying this nonsense. Oatmeal is awesome.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    This "diet" sounds bland and boring to me. No thank you. I will stick to food choices......I like oatmeal.....but twice a day every day........eek.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Why would I eat just oatmeal when I can eat whatever I want if I'm sensible about it?
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Hisssssssss at the word "diet" Just EAT and be sensible....every meal, all day, as long as it fits in you allowance.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal and I eat it at least twice a day and sometimes more but NOT b/c of some diet (this is the first I have heard of this one). I am someone who eats the same things each and every day for months or even longer at a time. So, I am not knocking this diet by any means b/c oatmeal is good for you but if you don't somehow get extra nutrients besides this then it doesn't seem like it would be good for your health overall. But as often as I eat oatmeal I definitely cannot say that you would get sick of it b/c I haven't yet and yes I have lost weight since eating oatmeal more often. Not sure if that is why I am losing though but I do know I am not gaining and that makes me happy. I will definitely be eating my oatmeal daily at least once but probably more times a day.

So OP, to answer your question - No, I have not tried this particular diet but I do believe that eating oatmeal has many benefits and to me it does seem to help with the weight. That could be b/c it is so filling that I don't get hungry very soon after eating it. Either way, Good luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought...Change your mindset on what a DIET is, for it not a a fad short-term function of eating...

is though - The usual food and drink of a person or animal

In other words, it is your REGULAR regimen of nutritional intake. Make the complete change for a healthier DIET and skip the fads.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I ate a bunch of oatmeal in college.....but that's because I was desperately broke. I have no idea why any one would do that on purpose. It sucked soooooo hard.

PS: malnutrition does all sorts of horrible things to your body. Hair loss for one....

EDIT: This is coming from someone who has done every single fad diet you can imagine. It never works. It always makes you miserable.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yikes, you're a nurse?? You sound so angry, I feel bad for your patients. But what does you being a nurse have to do with anything? Does that mean you automatically know about weight loss and the best way to do it?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just so we're clear, we're talking about whole wheat oatmeal, right?
  • CocaDragonfly
    CocaDragonfly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :) I am sooo done with these hateful comments. I thought this site was for encouragement and support, not criticism and bullying. I hope all you have a blessed day and reach your weightloss goals.

Don't worry, hun! I'm on your side! People need to keep their mouths shut, negative opinions to themselves, and lay off! Yeah, people, that's RIGHT. I said this... So, I say this to YOU people, WANNA lay off of her, HUH?! That's what I THOUGHT.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't tried that one, but I have tried other diets that restrict the food you can have. Yup, lost weight fast. Regained it even faster. That's how diets are: diet ends, weight returns.

Best of luck to you, but I am happier changing my eating habits based on the way I want to eat for the rest of my life.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Just so we're clear, we're talking about whole wheat oatmeal, right?
    :

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    :) I am sooo done with these hateful comments. I thought this site was for encouragement and support, not criticism and bullying. I hope all you have a blessed day and reach your weightloss goals.

Don't worry, hun! I'm on your side! People need to keep their mouths shut, negative opinions to themselves, and lay off! Yeah, people, that's RIGHT. I said this... So, I say this to YOU people, WANNA lay off of her, HUH?! That's what I THOUGHT.

LOL. You're so intimidating!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I once ate nothing but donuts for a few days while moving and lost weight.. Smart idea.. hell no!... Tasty ..hell yes!.. Would I call it a "diet" because I lost 3 ponds in three days and advise others to do it or try it ..HELL NO!
    Helthy eating with balance nutrition is what gives long term results!

Sandi!!!! Do you like money? Yes? I like money, and you like money, so let's make some money together! We're gonna publish "The 30 Day Donut Diet: A No Holes Barred Way to Lose Weight Fast!" and we're gonna make ****ing mint!!!! I got my publisher on the line now, trying to get us an advance. Or at least at $2000 store credit at Winchells.

You wit me?

HAHAHA hellz ya!
  • scoilcolm
    scoilcolm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    big fat fad diet - never going to work. Tried the three day diet myself lost 10lbs by the following week gained 10lbs good if your going some where and want to drop a few pounds, but definitely not a long term solution
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    ...what's the point of that?

Why can't you replace the second oatmeal with a healthy, low calorie lunch instead?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    ...what's the point of that?

Why can't you replace the second oatmeal with a healthy, low calorie lunch instead?

the point is simple silly...so you can call it the oatmeal diet....DUH