Has anyone tried the oatmeal diet?

Options

Replies

• endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    By the way, I don't think cheese puffs and twinkies can do this folks. Nothing special about oatmeal?

1. Lowers Cholesterol

Oatmeal contains a special strand of fiber called beta-glucan that studies have shown reduces levels of bad cholesterol—and as high cholesterol is a major risk factor associated with heart disease and strokes, a daily bowl of oatmeal could be a life saver! A daily dose of three grams of fiber, the amount found in one bowl of oatmeal, can lower cholesterol by up to 23 percent and reduce the risk of heat disease by almost half.

2. Boosts Immune System

Oatmeal’s beta-gluten fiber does more than protect your heart. Beta-gluten can also amp up our immune systems and help fight bacterial infections by helping non-specific immune cells called neutrophils (our body’s first line of defense against pathogens) quickly locate and heal infected tissues.

3. Special Antioxidants for Heart Protection

Oatmeal not only lowers bad cholesterol but protects good cholesterol! Oatmeal contains special antioxidants called avenanthramides that prevent free radicals from attacking good cholesterol, which also helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

4. Stabilizes Blood Sugar

Because oatmeal is so rich in fiber, eating it in the morning will help stabilize your blood sugar throughout the day and prevent those mid-morning or mid-afternoon “crashes” that results from eating refined sugars and carbs.

5. Lowers Risk of Diabetes

Speaking of blood sugar, eating oatmeal can also help reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Oatmeal contains high amounts of magnesium, which help the body to properly use glucose and secrete insulin. An eight-year trial showed a 19 percent decrease in type 2 diabetes risk in women with a magnesium-rich diet and a 31 percent risk decrease in women who regularly ate whole grains. Like to enjoy your oatmeal with milk? Eating low-fat dairy products reduces the risk of diabetes by 13 percent.

6. Prevents Breast Cancer

Studies have shown that a diet rich in fiber can protect against breast cancer, particularly if the fiber comes from whole grains. A UK Women’s Cohort Study found that pre-menopausal women who ate fiber from whole grains had a 41 percent less risk of developing breast cancer, while fiber sourced from fruit only offer a 29 percent reduction rate.

7. Gluten-Friendly

Although oatmeal contains a small amount of gluten, studies have shown that oatmeal is well tolerated by both adults and children with celiac disease.

This MAY be true but true but I don't think that they meant it as an only food diet. It"s meant to be eaten in a balanced diet.
    It sounds like you don't really want to hear any advise, and look people are only trying to be helpful. Google is your friend, read, research.
  • SycReid
    SycReid Posts: 14
    Options
    Oatmeal? Just plain oatmeal? Blah. I didnt last for a week. So I changed mine to some protein diet and lots of fibers. Super minimal rice/pasta intake. That really worked for me. I was even 180 lbs before (like 1 1/2 month ago). But Ive kind of like lost my way so I was back to eating again. And 6 days ago Ive checked my weight and I'm on 173. Now. I'm 168 since using MFP.

So really the point is, more protein and fibers. C: Vegetables and fruits is your best bet. C:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    cannot comprehend eating oats with nothing else in it???!!!:huh:
  • LexDiamond973
    Options
    Yes, girl! I am currently on this oatmeal diet. I kinda just stumbled upon it because of its consistency. I cant seem to tolerate solid foods since I got my last lapband fill (i'm probably too tight) however it does work! I too take multivitamins and I've been on it for 2 weeks and currently down 13lbs. Who said excitement needs to come from food, lol? Im only eating to curve my hunger. And if im feeling froggy for some variety, i may sip on some soup lol but all in all OATMEAL ROCKS!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Yes, girl! I am currently on this oatmeal diet. I kinda just stumbled upon it because of its consistency. I cant seem to tolerate solid foods since I got my last lapband fill (i'm probably too tight) however it does work! I too take multivitamins and I've been on it for 2 weeks and currently down 13lbs. Who said excitement needs to come from food, lol? Im only eating to curve my hunger. And if im feeling froggy for some variety, i may sip on some soup lol but all in all OATMEAL ROCKS!

where do you get your P&F and various other micronutrients that are not contained in oats?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would like to see the "Oatmeal Diet" in it's entirety. It can't possibly be only oatmeal.

Oh my mistake, found it on the previous page and it is!

The only way I would do this diet is if I started in Phase 3. Kinda like my relationships, I like to skip steps and get to the good part.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Just Oatmeal?
    tumblr_mgwnqyZXYi1r5s3klo2_250.gif
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    This site is not the place to come for support if you are looking to lose weight through fad diets, very low calorie diets, drugs, or proana. Why? Because this site is about being HEALTHY and FIT. It is not just about losing weight. So yes, if you come on here and ask about a stupid diet like this people will call you out on it. They should. It is for your health.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    no duh! all i wanted to know was whether anyone else tried it. i know it leaves you pretty deficient in a lot of nutrients, but i also take vitamins and i actually am more energized and still work out everyday. i just read about people dropping about 15lbs in two weeks and losing that much weight in a week just seemed outrageous, so i wanted to know if anyone here had a success story from that diet.

Oh yayyyyyy. Another post where the OP only wants to hear how the fad diet worked and not actual useful advice on a healthy lifestyle. :yawn:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    -1000 points for whoever bumped this thread.
  • skinnyga1973
    Options
    Currently trying brown rice porridge with chia seeds for breakfast and lunch with a multi-vitamin.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

-1000 for the most recent bumper or does the penalty double for the second bump?
  • skinnyga1973
    Options
    No but I tried my own Asian diet where you eat rice porridge for breakfast, stirfrys of lean meats, lots of veggies, white rice and dessert is fruit And only that. Lots of different spices, sauces, favors can be added to the meats, fish, chicken, rice, veggies for variation and you will never be bored or hungry and you will lose lots of weight. Also eat non creamy soup 1 c before lunch and dinner.
  • vicmazur84
    Options
    Great results! Could you share your complete meal plan for a day?
  • ranmini90
    ranmini90 Posts: 10
    Options
    hey,my uncle did this for like..i dont know..a month or so and he lost alot of weight.he had high cholesterol and blood pressure and at the end of the diet everything was back to normal.he found a nice girl and even got married.:drinker:
    my auntie just had a baby and she ate nothing but oatmeal.she..omg...looks thinner than me :)
    and now me...:blushing:
    im gonna start this diet from tomorrow.after years of dieting and i learnt that low carb **** doesnt work for me.so now my main priority is to lose weight and gain better health.so lets do this together. and booo you all....she just asked you if you've done it before or not.if you havent do not reply please.if you have then please no advices cuz none of you are docs or dietitians.... thanx!:smile:
  • lncb47
    lncb47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have steel-cut oatmeal everyday for breakfast (1/4 cup dry) with a few chipped walnuts, agave syrup, cinnamon, fat-free coconut milk; I am diabetic and since I've been doing this my diabetes A1C is in the normal range. I plan to continue eating it regularly for breakfast. It is a great way to set yourself up for success for the balance of the day,
  • RoniWins
    Options
    I went through most of the replys to your simple question and I feel your pain honey! It is so ridiculous how people feel they need to preach to you instead of answering the question. You didn't ask if anyone thought it was a good idea or why, you asked about people's results-if they have tried it. If they have not heard of the diet or tried it then they shouldn't post anything.
    There is this one person who keeps saying you are 'defending' it and I don't see where you are being defensive, but just asking a very simple question. I was hoping to find to find a sensible answer to your question as well.
    Wow...So sorry....
    I like oatmeal. I will be substituting 2 meals per day with it. It is a very healthy food option. :-)
  • RoniWins
    Options
    Thanks for simply answering her question!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

-1000 for the most recent bumper or does the penalty double for the second bump?

x3
  • fitbitlori
    fitbitlori Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents. I agree with the others about fad diets but, oatmeal may be the exception... I am typically very hungry on a 1200 calorie diet but, I have found that eating oatmeal (1 cup) twice daily w/coconut milk for a total of 150 calories each meal - I experience no hunger beyond that. 300 calories (daily total) with oatmeal and maybe an apple or two, or a chicken breast for dinner and I am not hungry at all - not in the least. So forget about fad's - this is about what keeps you FULL, add nutrients as desired. Sure beats eating 1200 calories of whatever and feeling miserable! Personally, I'm hooked. Feeling full at 300 calories - leaves a lot of wiggle room for additional protein and fruits & vegetables.