Has anyone tried the oatmeal diet?

Options

Replies

• Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Oh Lord! I know about nutrition, I am a freakin nurse! All I did was try a diet and ask if anyone had done it! Do you not know how to read!?

it is truly sad that a "nurse" would even consider eating only oatmeal for a week

I'm making sure to keep up with my vitamins now =)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What about the eat whatever you want in moderation while in a deficit and lose weight diet?
    I hear it works wonders!

Here's to that! 44lbs gone thanks to pizza, pasta, ice cream, chocolate, you name it.....including healthy food.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    no duh! all i wanted to know was whether anyone else tried it. i know it leaves you pretty deficient in a lot of nutrients, but i also take vitamins and i actually am more energized and still work out everyday. i just read about people dropping about 15lbs in two weeks and losing that much weight in a week just seemed outrageous, so i wanted to know if anyone here had a success story from that diet.

Duh!!!

Eat less than 900 calories of any food and you'll lose weight.

We know how to read. Do you know "burn more calories than you take in and you'll lose weight"? Your initial weight loss was just water, not fat.
  • lalalove4
    lalalove4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :) I am sooo done with these hateful comments. I thought this site was for encouragement and support, not criticism and bullying. I hope all you have a blessed day and reach your weightloss goals.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Eat sensibly and exercise. That's the only "diet" I believe in.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    lol
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Seems like an awesome way to be deficient in protein and fats and your micros
    Phase One

Dieters eat nothing but oatmeal for the first week.
    You can eat ½ cup of oatmeal for each meal, which may be combined with ½ cup of skim milk if desired.
    Only whole oatmeal is allowed.
    Instant oatmeal and granola bars should be avoided for the first seven days.
    Calorie consumption for the first seven days should be between 900-1200 calories per day.

Phase Two

For the next 30 days dieters continue having ½ cup of oatmeal three times a day in addition to their regular diet.
    Instant oatmeal is now permitted.
    Calories may now be increased slightly to 1000-1300 per day.
    A morning snack of ½ cup of fruit and an afternoon snack of ½ cup raw vegetables are allowed.

Phase Three

After 30 days you may begin to eat your normal diet while continuing with one meal and one snack of oatmeal daily.
    Dieters are advised to limit their intake of fats when returning to normal eating.

QFT, this is the dumbest crap ever.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    :) I am sooo done with these hateful comments. I thought this site was for encouragement and support, not criticism and bullying. I hope all you have a blessed day and reach your weightloss goals.

Nobody is intentionally trying to put you down, but you cannot expect anybody to support you when you are harming your body. People are offering their advice and informing you of the risks you're taking. Instead of accepting it and moving on, you're defending it like crazy and assuming that everybody here is against you which is clearly not the case.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

You weren't criticized or bullied. People gave you sound advice you didn't want to hear. You are a nurse. You know how bad fad/crash dieting is for you. Don't come to an open forum asking about a crash diet and expect to get encouragement.

Also, you attacked people, not the other way around.. Own your comments.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options

Look I do admit you are getting a hard time here so let me give you some honest advice. I have tried every single fad diet out there, no matter how crazy. I lost weight and gained it back, lost and gained, lost and gained. Fad diets are short term fixes only, even a week on this can just come back on once you resume a normal diet. The only way to do this and keep it off is healthy eating and exercise. I've lost over 50lbs though doing it this way so pretty sure it works.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I get tired of oatmeal pretty quickly. I once thought I was going to follow the suggestions of someone on how they lost weight; the 'oatmeal diet' and Dance Dance Revolution. The guy lost a LOT of weight! But I realized I don't like plain oatmeal and I have the coordination of an elephant wearing stilettos.

I think it may have been this video, but I forget, this was years ago when I was looking for a quick fix. My Fitness Pal and counting your calories works better than any one 'diet'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vX7bKE1hho
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Its sad to see that they are hateful and not helpful. Constructive criticism instead of personal attacking. I personally eat oatmeal for breakfast 6-7 days but hey I lost 81lbs...what do I know :happy:
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Phase One

You can eat ½ cup of oatmeal for each meal, which may be combined with ½ cup of skim milk if desired.
    Calorie consumption for the first seven days should be between 900-1200 calories per day.

Phase Two

For the next 30 days dieters continue having ½ cup of oatmeal three times a day in addition to their regular diet.
    A morning snack of ½ cup of fruit and an afternoon snack of ½ cup raw vegetables are allowed.

Phase Three

After 30 days you may begin to eat your normal diet while continuing with one meal and one snack of oatmeal daily.
    Dieters are advised to limit their intake of fats when returning to normal eating.

That diet would make me cranky. Very cranky.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

No one is criticizing you, hating you or bullying. We are just trying to tell you that eating like this just isn't healthy and we are trying to give you advice on what is a better way to lose weight.
    Also bare in mind that there are (young) people out there that are easily triggered by these type of diets and could end up dieting in a very unhealthy way and end up with an ED. That's part of the reason why people are making sure it is know that this isn't a healthy way to eat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord! I know about nutrition, I am a freakin nurse! All I did was try a diet and ask if anyone had done it! Do you not know how to read!?

it is truly sad that a "nurse" would even consider eating only oatmeal for a week

I second this statement.
    Just goes to show that nutrition isnt really taught to doctors and nurses.
    Even some nutritionists and their 120 question certifications can get it wrong.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Sarcastic font ON:

I eat all I want and then purge. I've lost lot's of weight this way. Has anyone else tried this?

I'm only asking if you've tried this and don't want to hear anything else.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Its sad to see that they are hateful and not helpful. Constructive criticism instead of personal attacking. I personally eat oatmeal for breakfast 6-7 days but hey I lost 81lbs...what do I know :happy:
    What personal attacks? The ones from the OP?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Phase One

Phase Two

Phase Three

This sounds horrible.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I once ate nothing but donuts for a few days while moving and lost weight.. Smart idea.. hell no!... Tasty ..hell yes!.. Would I call it a "diet" because I lost 3 ponds in three days and advise others to do it or try it ..HELL NO!
    Helthy eating with balance nutrition is what gives long term results!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I once ate nothing but donuts for a few days while moving and lost weight.. Smart idea.. hell no!... Tasty ..hell yes!.. Would I call it a "diet" because I lost 3 ponds in three days and advise others to do it or try it ..HELL NO!
    Helthy eating with balance nutrition is what gives long term results!

Sandi!!!! Do you like money? Yes? I like money, and you like money, so let's make some money together! We're gonna publish "The 30 Day Donut Diet: A No Holes Barred Way to Lose Weight Fast!" and we're gonna make ****ing mint!!!! I got my publisher on the line now, trying to get us an advance. Or at least at $2000 store credit at Winchells.

You wit me?