The Gym Etiquette Paradox

Options

Replies

• KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Your argument is that puppies think I'm cute? You say that to all the boys.
    Well, yes, but that's beside the point.

Actually, my argument is that your argument isn't quite correct. You may be the big, tough guy, but not everybody is terrified of you. There are some of us out there that would gladly get in your face if need be. There are people who grew up in an area where the "average" high school kid is over 6' tall and looks like they spend all day in the gym lifting weights.

The scary ones are the little bitty wiry people. It's like magic - you can't SEE the strength, but you KNOW it's there.
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If another meathead were to approach me in the gym and very politely ask if he may use the dumbells whenever I finish doing curls, I'd instinctively have a burning desire to punch him in the face, then pee in every corner of the weight-room, just so he'd know that everything in there is mine.
    Thanks for making me literally laugh out loud!!!
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    competition. meathead(ball)s=competition for you. you want to make them look bad. little old lady=adore the ground you walk on. you have to keep that **** around to make you feel good.
    Actually, most old ladies... and most people... are absolutely terrified of me. Not kidding. In fact, ironically, the only living things that are not initially scared of me are puppies and babies. I make adults cry... yet I can't peel puppies and infants off of me. I have no idea why.

...suddenly i feel like i've accepted a challenge. my dog and i will take you on......translation: your post did it's job!!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Haha--I guess I'm a people pleaser and nobody really aggravates me at the gym. My husband on the other hand, is annoyed by tons of the guys--esp the ones that grunt loudly and are cheese monkeys. There is one girl that is bizarre--she does all these CRAZY exercises, looks like she is pole dancing with the treadmill--dancing and swinging her legs up high. But I don't get annoyed--I just stare like it's a car accident haha! But I've always had the problem of wanting to like everyone and have everyone like me! Sigh!!

Ugh. Treadmill dancing. A lot of ballet dancers I know do this. It helps with speed and footwork. They will do floorwork at running speeds, and it is crazy to watch, but effective if you need to work foot turnover and coordination. I tried it once and face planted. Good thing my professional career ended years ago!

OK. You are appropriately named.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I can't take the poser guys. Lift 1 weight. Grunt, pose, look over pleased... Pick that weight back up, repeat.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    ...suddenly i feel like i've accepted a challenge. my dog and i will take you on......translation: your post did it's job!!
    I get that a lot.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Nothing bothers me at the gym
    Except guys on the next treadmill. D'oh.

Oh them yea. And the girl that comes in with full make up and perfect hair ( the one that never breaks a sweat even after an hour of working out)..Oh and the two girl-friends that workout together and dont shut the f*** up the whole time, there is no loud enough music that helps me with that.

But other than that, nothing bothers me
  • TallyFlores
    TallyFlores Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like your feelings about other guys, who to your own (ironic) admission are similar to yourself, and the way it makes you devolve into a primate ("I'd instinctively have a burning desire to punch him in the face, then pee in every corner of the weight-room, just so he'd know that everything in there is mine") aren't about your own feelings of sexual competition.
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym at 4 am so its mostly the older working class, but if I go back for a class later in the day...mostly douchy meathead types. I enjoy my early morning "family" same people every day.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    My tolerance and patience appear to be declining with each passing year lol. It's not any particularly group of people though (other than one of my neighbours!)
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Like your feelings about other guys, who to your own (ironic) admission are similar to yourself, and the way it makes you devolve into a primate ("I'd instinctively have a burning desire to punch him in the face, then pee in every corner of the weight-room, just so he'd know that everything in there is mine") aren't about your own feelings of sexual competition.
    Thus, the "natural selection" line in the original post. But, thanks for repeating everything I said.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I am annoyed by people that get in my way or otherwise slow me down.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Oh them yea. And the girl that comes in with full make up and perfect hair ( the one that never breaks a sweat even after an hour of working out)..Oh and the two girl-friends that workout together and dont shut the f*** up the whole time, there is no loud enough music that helps me with that.

hahaha....I love that! Maybe we´ll find something more ;)

I just hate smelly people :)
  • Aimeebird1
    Aimeebird1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bahahahahah that just made my day. Sooo funny :) except i was eating at the time of reading this and had to stop lol.

Have a good day :)
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    competition. meathead(ball)s=competition for you. you want to make them look bad. little old lady=adore the ground you walk on. you have to keep that **** around to make you feel good.
    Actually, most old ladies... and most people... are absolutely terrified of me. Not kidding. In fact, ironically, the only living things that are not initially scared of me are puppies and babies. I make adults cry... yet I can't peel puppies and infants off of me. I have no idea why.

I could tell you that you wouldn't be able to peel me off of you, if given the chance *wink*...you don't scare me a bit...
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options

You mean I'm not supposed to wear the same workout clothes for 6 months?
  • Carrie3B
    Carrie3B Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Ugh. Treadmill dancing. A lot of ballet dancers I know do this. It helps with speed and footwork. They will do floorwork at running speeds, and it is crazy to watch, but effective if you need to work foot turnover and coordination. I tried it once and face planted. Good thing my professional career ended years ago!

Haha--that explains it! I figured she was either a ballet dancer, a stripper or just really mentally challenged!

Oh, and to the guy who got annoyed when the other runner turned up his treadmill. Sadly, that is me sometimes. What is that quote... "If you’re on the treadmill next to me, the answer is yes, we are racing.". Sorry, I try not to make it obvious but I can't help myself LOL!!!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I am annoyed by people that get in my way or otherwise slow me down.

This!

I've switched to a cheaper gym that is mainly used by government workers and older people to get away from the crowds. I also wanted to get away from princesses and meat heads, they only get in my way. Most of the time, in the morning, we are 4-5 total in the gym.
    I have nothing against anyone, but don't get in my way when I try to workout.

There was this meat head guy that use to work in my building that was training there. I knew him well, he was annoying me, all in the body, nothing in the head. He was my only aggravation out of the 4-5 people in the morning.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I can't take the poser guys. Lift 1 weight. Grunt, pose, look over pleased... Pick that weight back up, repeat.

I lift things up and put them down.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Haha that is right. I quit a Zumba class because someone had BO.