The Gym Etiquette Paradox

Options

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks for the nice laugh early in the morning. I like the fact that you at least love the little old ladies.

I get self-conscious in the gym, so I usually try to go when it's empty -- or nearly empty. And, when it's not empty, I try to just stay to myself. I guess I would probably be the type of person people would hate because they think I am a snob. Who knows.
    I get some of that too. For me, the gym is "work time."
    -- It's not "social time."
    -- It's not "hey, did you see Dr. Phil / the game / that awesome show time."

I'm there to work and train.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    All of the above is the reason why I don't go to the gym.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have a few folks I want to quash under the leg press machine.

1. Loathe the gigolos. They float from machine to machine chatting up the women trying to exercise while their eyes scan up and down with each rep. Most women seem to tolerate, and at least be polite. I don't know how they do it. If I were female I'd think this would be maddening, if I were really there to get in shape.

2. Probably even more annoying are the men who BM and whiz in the locker room. Then don't wash. .........eh........
    Usually the same goons are the ones who don't wipe down benches and machines with the sanitary wipes provided by the gym and just leave their funk puddled up on the equipment. Absolutely disgusting. Don't you people know anything about SARS?
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm the same sexy young girls I just wanna shave there heads an feed them cake even if they look at me or walk near my section!!! But men can stand next to me all daylong if they want ahha x

I have never laughed and agreed more at anything lol
    I'll keep this in mind next time I casually smile at a girl my age because we make eye contact walking towards each other and they just blankly stare at me. That irritates me, I've wondered why they seem to hate me.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I can only think of one explanation... you have issues.

I treat everyone with equal dignity UNTIL they've proven they deserve less.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of the semesters that I took a weight training class in college the teacher was also a trainer for the football team. There were a dozen guys in that class that were there just trying to impress the teacher so they would have an in for walk-on try outs for the football team. They thought they were so special and they weren't. All they ever did was show off to each other, compairing how many pull ups they could do. It was annoying. Well,there was the one kid that benched like 350 pounds. I hope he made the team. Then there was this one kid that always came in during our class. First of all, he wasn't in the class so he shouldn't have been in that weight room at the time. Other students weren't allowed to use the weight room during classes so that the students in the class had full access to all of the equipment. Anyway, he would come in and only work out his arms. It was ridiculous. He had massive biceps and super scrawny legs. He looked like a freak of nature. I really wanted to punch that guy in the face every time I saw him walk into the gym.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My gym has lots of cardio machines so I am never waiting for one. I don't hog the squat rack because I don't know what it is. I am mildly intimidated by girls at the gym that have a better shaped booty than I . But what I can not stand are the teenagers that borrow their parents memberships at the gym. They hog up all the mats because they cant do a pushup so they are on their backs texting all their friends. If not that then they are texting on the equipment and using the machine reaalllllll slowly. And lastly they stand around the weight machines (arm curl, leg extensions,standing calf, etc) in a group talking and feeling their barely there pecks when you really need to use the machine.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that your tolerance and patience for others in the gym is directly related to your personal feelings for that particular "type" or "group" of individuals?

I find my tolerance and patience with others is directly related to whether I am in rugby season or not. When I'm playing or training, it's very hard for anyone to annoy me, and when I'm not, I'm annoyed by everyone. I don't think there's one particular group that stands out for me at my gym.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

Hmm. I'm curious. Do you realize that your first sentence actually nullified your second sentence, as pure manifested hokum?

I'm guessing, no.

It's hard being this awesome.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I'm curious. Do you realize that your first sentence actually nullified your second sentence, as pure manifested hokum?

I'm guessing, no.

oh snap!!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Fo, shizzle.
  • penrbrown
    Options

I'm guessing, no.

:) We've had dealings before. My mind is made up about you. :P
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    You clearly love me. Sadly, I have no memory of you. Was it good for me too?
  • penrbrown
    Options
    You clearly love me. Sadly, I have no memory of you. Was it good for me too?

Oh you used smileys too so I'm assuming it was. But seriously, you might try ignoring your instincts and just treating strangers with equal dignity. You can start pissing on their stuff once you've figured out they've actually earned such behavior.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Oh you used smileys too so I'm assuming it was. But seriously, you might try ignoring your instincts and just treating strangers with equal dignity. You can start pissing on their stuff once you've figured out they've actually earned such behavior.
    Actually, I'm the exact opposite. I assume everyone is a narcissistic, egocentric, self-serving individual, until they prove otherwise. Some people prove otherwise very quickly. Some people take much longer. Some people I forget about almost instantaneously.

;)
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Actually, I'm the exact opposite. I assume everyone is a narcissistic, egocentric, self-serving individual, until they prove otherwise. Some people prove otherwise very quickly. Some people take much longer. Some people I forget about almost instantaneously.

;)

Oh well. Fair enough. I'm amazed you held on long enough to continue this brief exchange but I'm going to move on to bigger and better discussions now. I mean, it might be difficult to continue if you're just going to forget what's going on. Namaste!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Oh well. Fair enough. I'm amazed you held on long enough to continue this brief exchange but I'm going to move on to bigger and better discussions now. I mean, it might be difficult to continue if you're just going to forget what's going on. Namaste!
    I think I made a friend.
  • nisha0612
    nisha0612 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have this girl in step class who has her step to the highest level, stands in the front row.. and cant keep up... so she pretty much does her own thing... so annoying...!!!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    one of the things that kinda annoys me is bad form. someone with a weight that is obviously a little more than they can handle and they're swinging and rocking away with terrible form and look like they're so pleased with what they're doing/:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    one of the things that kinda annoys me is bad form. someone with a weight that is obviously a little more than they can handle and they're swinging and rocking away with terrible form and look like they're so pleased with what they're doing/:
    So, for you.. it's not so much about the size, and more how they use it?