The Gym Etiquette Paradox

Options

Replies

• CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The heavy breathing grunters in bootcamp drive me crazy. We are all doing the same exercise, yet that one guy feels the need to "OOOOOoooo Owwwwww UGHHH" Darth Vader breathing grunt during the duration of every interval. Distracting and annoying. THe things that bring you gym rage at 5AM... smirk.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    hmm... weird, I have somewhat the opposite. The more time I spend at the gym, the more affinity I have with the "serious crowd" - I find myself getting involved in the casual conversations, noting how they do their excercises, posture, weight, amount of reps that sort of thing. At the same time I very much like "that fat girl" doing her best on the treadmill as I recognise myself in her...

On the other hand, I heavily dislike the "somewhat overweight girl" and the "ooh look at my new gym clothes and I'm so thin" girl that are half-heartedly doing some strenght excercise. I suppose what annoys me most is bad posture and lack of oomph. Seriously, they don't even bother standing correctly... obviously it's sooo hard that way... Stop complaining and do it right!
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The talkers absolutely tick me off!!!! Shut up and work dammit! If you can carry on a full blown conversation you're not working hard enough and wasting the machine. The other poster was right - my music doesn't go up load enough either when they get next to me!

I basically just run at the gym because the "weight section" people scare me too much; although they are fun to watch. I get so annoyed when someone gets on the treadmill right next to me when there is a whole empty row. And yes, it is a race if you're next to me. I don't care if you have 0% BF and look like you were born running marathons, I will run until I face plant just to "prove" I can keep up with you. And if you're slower than me, I'm secretly gloating through my sprints. I can’t help it; it keeps me from being bored senseless while running in place. I always wonder if this insane competitiveness is WHY my parents never encouraged me to play sports.
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The ultra slim, 'teehee we're so gorgeous, watch us prance around with awful form and hog the machines while texting and chatting lazily to each other and doing outrageous stretches whenever male attention gravitates within a half inch radius of our saintly selves' ladies tend to tick me off.

It's less so because of their physical appearance, but more so for the utter lack of respect they have for other gym goers. Even with headphones in, if you're going to shriek with laughter (that shrill, nasal, not a braincell to rub together kind of cackle) and not take things seriously you risk facing the almighty wrath of Zeus (a.k.a me looking ultra pissed in a pair of grey and blue yoga pants).
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    There are a couple types that drive me bonkers -

In a class - the close-talker version of exercisers - MOVE AWAY (yes Im angry like that)

In the weight room - there is one particular dude that HOGS the squat rack - while walking back and forth talking to the girls and "coaching" the younger kids on form etc - I seriously want to throat punch him - OH and he doesnt re-rack his weights....
  • SavanahM
    SavanahM Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed when people take a silly post very, very, VERY seriously ;P
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Nothing bothers me at the gym
    Except guys on the next treadmill. D'oh.

Oh them yea. And the girl that comes in with full make up and perfect hair ( the one that never breaks a sweat even after an hour of working out)..Oh and the two girl-friends that workout together and dont shut the f*** up the whole time, there is no loud enough music that helps me with that.

But other than that, nothing bothers me

yep - these are the ones that do it for me - the perfect girls and the chatterboxes - the only other ones that irritate the crap out of me are the onces that feel the insatiable need to use the treadmill right beside me when the other 52 are free
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The only thing that drives me nuts is the girls who use their cellphones on the treadmill or, worse, while they hold up a machine. It's just so rude.
  • MStanford336
    MStanford336 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just something to ponder this morning, while you sit at your desk and try to fool your boss into thinking your actually working.

I was doing a pretty good job of "pretending" to work until I just started laughing insanely at my desk. Thanks!
  • andidom
    Options
    Recently joined a new gym in my area that is a lot more "meathead" than my last. I used to go to a YMCA but lost interest, easy to do when theres kids and teens hogging up machines and babies pooping in pools. I was never bothered by much of anything at the gym until I joined this new one that is mostly fit(ish) people under 65 years old. Some thinks that annoy me:

Dirty needles/syringes: Seen 2 in the parking lot already. I know anybody with a chronic illnes(diabetes, etc) that require the use of injection would not leave dirty needles around. I suspect people injcting sterioids which in turn makes me dislike the meatheads inside the gym. I glare around thinking "who's on roids and who's not". I'll get over it.

Those fit stay at home moms/trophy wives: Plain jealous that the gym is their oyster. If I did not have to work 40-50 hours a week I would spend a lot of time at the gym too. Good for them really. Also wish I had a sugar daddy to buy me a gym wordrobe of Lululemon. ;-)

People who don't clean cardio machines AND weight equipment. Just plain gross. Tells a lot about the kind of person you are.

I think that's all for now. Maybe I should find a new gym lol
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Nothing bothers me at the gym
    Except guys on the next treadmill. D'oh.

Oh them yea. And the girl that comes in with full make up and perfect hair ( the one that never breaks a sweat even after an hour of working out)..Oh and the two girl-friends that workout together and dont shut the f*** up the whole time, there is no loud enough music that helps me with that.

But other than that, nothing bothers me

yep - these are the ones that do it for me - the perfect girls and the chatterboxes -

thats not what I said. Nothing wrong with perfect girls. I am perfect ( in and out), I just dont have perfect hair at the gym
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Gorilla, my guess is that you're from the Northeast (so am I, btw) where there is definitely a strong competitive vibe. Since living in Texas for the last 10 years I've grown more patient and tolerant of others. I think maybe it has to do with people being more polite and friendlier or maybe I'm just older. Anyway, I'm the one who's benefited from this because I'm not angry or on edge all the time.
    Southern born-and-raised. Though your hypothesis is a common misconception about me. I don't have an accident, and I articulate as though my parents were Sheldon Cooper and the Oracle from the Matrix. In other words, I don't sound like a redneck, even though I am proudly just that.

I like to think of myself more as a hillbilly, with a grad degree.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    Perfect Monday morning post. Thank you for the smile.

I am very lucky at my gym. It is new, well-appointed, and in a small town, so I have it to myself most of the time, which is excellent barring when I need a spot whilst I bench press. But, I believe I shall start checking the corners of the weight room for the evidence of meatheads and territory marking.

I have a beautiful picture of Mabel in my head.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    First off, I've never really found your posts humorous till now. This was amusing.

Secondly, you don't like other meathead because you are an overcompetitive alpha-male. And you don't mind the little old ladies because, as you said, empathy and they are all someone's grandma.
    I'm very fungal in my approach to growing on people.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I'm the same sexy young girls I just wanna shave there heads an feed them cake even if they look at me or walk near my section!!! But men can stand next to me all daylong if they want ahha x

I have never laughed and agreed more at anything lol
    So... I'm a tad confused. I do shave my head, and if it were legal, I would marry cake. Are these punishments of some nature?
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I'm real fat and I always feel like I'm 'that girl' at the gym, I work out as hard as I can and try and build a sweat up but it feels like I'm nowhere near good enough to be there...
    Now, one thing you'll NEVER hear/see me complain about is "fat" people at the gym. I just wanna run up and give each one of them a high-five and buy them a pony. They're there, working their @sses off, literally. That's honorable. That's how you effectuate change.

So for all my plus-sized brothers and sisters making a change for the better... you take all the time you need, and use whatever equipment you want... Gorilla's got yer back.

That said, if you're physically fused to your couch and have a Ruffles Potato Chip bag stuffed into your iv drip, YET complain that "no diets seem to work for you... wwaaaaaah..." ...I'm done with you, immediately thereafter.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    To suggest that Gorilla doesn't like himself is to admit that you don't know him at all ;)
    I'm shy. I'm trying to come out of my shell and love myse... hahaha... Yeah, I can't finish that with a straight face.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    GREAT post! As for the puppies/babies bit...your cover is blown. You're like a soft boiled egg: hard shell on the outside, all mushy and warm inside. Puppies and babies instinctively get that. ;)
    Slander. (Though, technically it's called libel. "Slander" sounds funnier.)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    There's one cage and one squat rack at my gym. The only people who really annoy me are the ones that are using both of those at the same time on squat day.
  • BalletBadass
    Options
    Haha--that explains it! I figured she was either a ballet dancer, a stripper or just really mentally challenged!

Most likely, all of the above. Maybe not stripper, but I do know dancers that have done an open stage night, just for kicks. Stripping is harder than it looks.