Why do MFP Men suggest Heavy Weight Lifting for Women?

Options
Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL

Replies

• SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy does not equal big/bulky/hulk'ish/manly body!!! Lifting heavy gives great definition and lowers body fat. My husband has yet to complain about my lifting - while it may not be super heavy - its not cute pink weights either.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL

My wife started lifting weights. few months later she could squat 185.

here's a recent photo.

She_Hulk_3_by_Jebriodo.jpg
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

here's a recent photo.

She_Hulk_3_by_Jebriodo.jpg

I think something is wrong with her diet - she's all green and stuff. :/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Because it works? And I promise, the women won't end up looking like football players. Doesn't happen
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

My wife lifts heavy squats 175 and deadlifts 185
    2026342_60be_625x1000.jpg
    isn't she beautiful?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i know you are trying to be funny but in case someone really is wondering about this....its because women who do heavy lfting look the best.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Is this a troll post or are you just ignorant about the effects and benefits of lifting weights?
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I saw a dead horse a few miles back... Lets go beat the **** out of it!
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy does not equal big/bulky/hulk'ish/manly body!!! Lifting heavy gives great definition and lowers body fat. My husband has yet to complain about my lifting - while it may not be super heavy - its not cute pink weights either.

What she said!! Just because you are throwing some heavy weight around doesn't mean you look like "a football player"....You can have muscles and curves. It all depend on how you train.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" lifting means "heavy" for you. And, by the way, women don't bulk up like me do as we have minute amounts of testosterone vs men.
    The way heavy lifting was defined for me was being able to lift weights, with good form, until fatigue. As an example, if I press 30# (fill in any number here) for 3 sets of 12 reps, I may struggle at rep # 9 or 10, but I can finish. I think what most guys might mean is don't go to the gym & lift 5# weights forever. Work your way up gradually in weights and reps.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    <
    looks like a football player to you?

What on earth are you talking about?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    then leave it for us ladies to deadlift and then clean and press it
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Why? Because it makes you look awesome. The end.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

brilliant!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My wife lifts heavy and MOST of the people recommending heavy lifting for women are....other women. Resistance training will convince your body (males and females) that your muscles are necessary. Eating in a calorie deficit without it can lead to loss of lean body mass. Which looks great on the scale but is not great for body composition. This leads to people getting to their weight loss goal and being disappointed in how their bodies look.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Bless.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It's not just the men. There's a lot of women who will tell you the same thing. You will not wake up one morning looking like a body builder. Just doesn't work that way. Lifting helps you retain lean body mass, which means you will have to lose less weight to get to your ideal body. Besides, strength is sexy. ;)
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options

No no no... You leave the deadlifting and clean and pressing to the men. We wouldn't want you fragile little flowers turning into football players or anything like that...