Why do MFP Men suggest Heavy Weight Lifting for Women?

Options

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    ...Cardio alone is dead.

This!

yep
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    We have been trying and trying to prove that women lifting heavy will cause their uterus to fall out. It hasn't worked yet, so we're just going to keep trying.

I have heard about this happening to a number of female friends... Obviously they stopped lifting and resumed more feminine activities like they should have stuck to in the first place.

I call BS. I lifted heavy for months before I got prego. My uterus went into overdrive!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Okay.

Am I the only one who is annoyed at the implication that only men play football?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    We have been trying and trying to prove that women lifting heavy will cause their uterus to fall out. It hasn't worked yet, so we're just going to keep trying.

ETA: Did I mention that a woman that can deadlift or squat her own body weight is hot as hell?

even if we skipping around the weight room like little girls and giggling, jumping up and down and telling everyone at the weight who's ever offered to spot? cus that's what i did and afterwards i realized i probably looked like an 8 year old who just got to pet a pony :laugh:
  • Vnm77
    Vnm77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow... I totally did not mean to offend anyone. I know all about the benefits of weightlifting (agility, strong bones, better blood sugar control ect)...I'm a huge kettlebell fan and most of my workouts involves weights/resistance, more than cardio. When I would tell male friends of mine (outside MFP) that I workout with weights...that's the kind of annoying comment I would get. Just wanted to get feedback for MFP men so I could back that up to my male friends. And to the lady that benches 180 lbs...I admire you!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

I have heard about this happening to a number of female friends... Obviously they stopped lifting and resumed more feminine activities like they should have stuck to in the first place.

I call BS. I lifted heavy for months before I got prego. My uterus went into overdrive!

I think you may have missed the sarcasm....
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I saw a dead horse a few miles back... Lets go beat the **** out of it!

seconded.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

No, I didn't.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Uh, because it's not going to make you look like a linebacker?
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL

My wife started lifting weights. few months later she could squat 185.

here's a recent photo.

She_Hulk_3_by_Jebriodo.jpg

I think something is wrong with her diet - she's all green and stuff. :/

I just laughed more than I have in months!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think lifting heavy is what *caused* me to get pregnant. :wink:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

No, I didn't.

Then why on Earth did you feel the need to call BS on an obviously sarcastic response instead of LOL as I did? :huh:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Wow... I totally did not mean to offend anyone. I know all about the benefits of weightlifting (agility, strong bones, better blood sugar control ect)...I'm a huge kettlebell fan and most of my workouts involves weights/resistance, more than cardio. When I would tell male friends of mine (outside MFP) that I workout with weights...that's the kind of annoying comment I would get. Just wanted to get feedback for MFP men so I could back that up to my male friends. And to the lady that benches 180 lbs...I admire you!

I would go ahead and make fun of them for having such feeble masculinity that they're scuuurrrred of a strong woman.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL

Have you seen the girls on my FL? Do your research before you post..... Please!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Trolls be trolls.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

IME, the only guys who've ever been intimidated by women who could lift a lot of weight were guys who were in bad shape strength-wise. the guys who were into lifting were supportive and those guys knew that it was impossible for a woman to look all beefcakey without some steroids.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    ohhh damn it.... gues i will never look awesome :cry: :sad: :sad:
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Definitely getting drafted. I was red shirted for a season so I can lift heavier and get BIGGER!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    ehhhh....stupid thread.
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Look up Staci from Nerd Fitness. She did Starting Strength 3x5 and can probably lift more than most of the guys I know, and she looks damn good.

The "girls will get bulky" conception stems from female bodybuilders who dope with so many anabolic steroids that they develop highly masculinized qualities.

Women should train the same as men if they want to develop a shapely physique.