Why do MFP Men suggest Heavy Weight Lifting for Women?

Options

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Is this a troll post or are you just ignorant about the effects and benefits of lifting weights?

I can't tell either. At any rate, women who lift heavy don't get the bulky body builder muscles you are picturing.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I saw a dead horse a few miles back... Lets go beat the **** out of it!

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

^^^HA HA!!! My favorite one!

Please, OP, tell me you're not serious!?
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I was just thinking the same thing...
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    then leave it for us ladies to deadlift and then clean and press it

Poor dead horse... Guess I should go see if the local football team is looking for a new tightend... cuz I have one from heavy lifting :tongue:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL

My wife started lifting weights. few months later she could squat 185.

here's a recent photo.

She_Hulk_3_by_Jebriodo.jpg

I can squat 160 and I promise I don't look like this ;)

Lifting heavy rocks and if you want to see fat melt away I would suggest trying it! Lifting helped me lose 50+ pounds!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    They suggest it because .....

it.is.awesome.

Women do not get bulky like football players.

Heavy is diff for every person. Please educate yourself.

I suggest heading over to www.nerdfitness.com. Read Staci's story.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    <---- You mean this woman looks like a football player to you??? Sorry but I've been squatting, lunging and deadlifting 135lb. barbell & lift a min of 30lb. dumbbells for my upper body but i only ended up having a shapely body.

Are you really that stupid or you're just trolling around? Geez do some research first before you make a fool out of yourself by creating such a stupid thread as this.
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My wife lifts heavy and MOST of the people recommending heavy lifting for women are....other women. Resistance training will convince your body (males and females) that your muscles are necessary. Eating in a calorie deficit without it can lead to loss of lean body mass. Which looks great on the scale but is not great for body composition. This leads to people getting to their weight loss goal and being disappointed in how their bodies look.

Pretty much. :)

That being said, I don't lift "heavy", but I was doing p90x (so a lot of using my own body weight for certain exercises and weights) and I am much happier with how my body looks now than I was when I started and I am not much lighter on the scale. It doesn't bother me THAT much because I am happy with how my body looks and I am healthy even if the scale says I am overweight. :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Actually you are right.. from what I see they don't. Their women are in great shape and very fit though.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Shouldn't a joke thread be in the chit-chat forum? :laugh:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Is it alright if the MFP WOMEN suggest it. Because they will (me included).
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I hope you're joking; if not you need some serious education. No linebacker here and my husband is more than pleased with my body and loves lifting with me. ;)
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    lame thread is lame.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    then leave it for us ladies to deadlift and then clean and press it

WRONG! it is your job to clean and COOK it!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Right??? *high five*
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    <
    looks like a football player to you?

What on earth are you talking about?

No, but I'll tackle you anyways! :tongue:
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Because It works!
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yeah me and kealambert will do the lifting and eating!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Um, its way more of us ladies advocating it than men. since mfp is 90% women