Why do MFP Men suggest Heavy Weight Lifting for Women?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Okay.

Am I the only one who is annoyed at the implication that only men play football?

^^^ !!!

I played in high school. They called it "powder puff football" (:laugh:) and it the juniors vs. the seniors every year. Class of 92 won the game both junior and senior years. I was linebacker on both offense and defense, and not a soul got past me. :wink:

I also played football in the backyard with my brother and the neighborhood kids. There were no fans in the stands in those times, but we had a lot of fun!
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    y'all need to play nice, we all started at different places! Some just need to educated a bit more! No such thing as a stupid question....
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We have been trying and trying to prove that women lifting heavy will cause their uterus to fall out. It hasn't worked yet, so we're just going to keep trying.

I have heard about this happening to a number of female friends... Obviously they stopped lifting and resumed more feminine activities like they should have stuck to in the first place.

I call BS. I lifted heavy for months before I got prego. My uterus went into overdrive!

I think you may have missed the sarcasm....

No, I didn't.

Then why on Earth did you feel the need to call BS on an obviously sarcastic response instead of LOL as I did? :huh:

Sarcasm? Me? No way...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Euphoria+1.bmp
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Because: "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow... I totally did not mean to offend anyone. I know all about the benefits of weightlifting (agility, strong bones, better blood sugar control ect)...I'm a huge kettlebell fan and most of my workouts involves weights/resistance, more than cardio. When I would tell male friends of mine (outside MFP) that I workout with weights...that's the kind of annoying comment I would get. Just wanted to get feedback for MFP men so I could back that up to my male friends. And to the lady that benches 180 lbs...I admire you!

Another benefit of weight lifting - looking damn good. Next time one of your friends makes such an ignorant comment, tell them to stop being such asshats
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm not an MFP Man...

Don't be afraid to lift heavy! It works big time
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL

My wife started lifting weights. few months later she could squat 185.

here's a recent photo.

She_Hulk_3_by_Jebriodo.jpg

I've seen her at the gym man.........killer dude
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    strong enough to do well being a playground superstar, I can climb trees , do handstands and sprint quite quickly.....I will lift heavy when I want and do yoga at other times....I prefer to be fit. I don't need to show muscles to do that. The topic? Men here just want women to look their best without wasting time on cardio, IMO. I really don't care what they say as I already look good and I'm happy.
  • margieparkins
    margieparkins Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    nice six pack but where is the v? lol
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    nice six pack but where is the v? lol

sigh.....still there...and I'm a girl. Will send you a pic if you need.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    We have been trying and trying to prove that women lifting heavy will cause their uterus to fall out. It hasn't worked yet, so we're just going to keep trying.

I have heard about this happening to a number of female friends... Obviously they stopped lifting and resumed more feminine activities like they should have stuck to in the first place.

I call BS. I lifted heavy for months before I got prego. My uterus went into overdrive!

No, I didn't.

Then why on Earth did you feel the need to call BS on an obviously sarcastic response instead of LOL as I did? :huh:

:headdesk:
  • blakejohn
    Options
    Because: "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

and make better lovers
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Because heavy lifting doesn't make women bulk up and look like football players. Shocking, I know.

I was lifting heavy for months. The only reason I stopped is because I no longer have access to a gym. I was the slimmest I have ever been in my life and was not bulky in the least. Women do not have the proper amount of testosterone to bulk up like men do, so unless you're abusing steroids and lifting heavy for years, you'll be fine. Not to mention strength training, especially with heavy weights has been shown to help ward off osteoporosis in women.

Ladies, lift some weights- it's good for you!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL
    Women recommend it as well, not just men, and heavy lifting does not equal a football player body. I'm just sayin...LOL
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options

No, I didn't.

:headdesk:

Have to agree! Quite Special!!!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options

My wife started lifting weights. few months later she could squat 185.

here's a recent photo.

She_Hulk_3_by_Jebriodo.jpg

*deep breath* PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Rugby is way cooler than football anyway.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The women on here who have bodies closest to my goal weight always talk about lifting heavy--and I'm not into looking like a football player. Plus, it won't happen on accident. If you find yourself looking bulky, back off a bit. It'll be gone in no time. It's doubtful that would even happen though.
  • blakejohn
    Options
    Rugby is way cooler than football anyway.

chicks playing rugby now thats tough