Why do MFP Men suggest Heavy Weight Lifting for Women?

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    superherostaci.jpg

Yeah, she totally looks like a football player... She deadlifts more than I do.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    <
    looks like a football player to you?

What on earth are you talking about?

No, but I'll tackle you anyways! :tongue:

Maybe I'll let you catch me :blushing:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's awesome! I'm glad I learned the "big secret" early in my journey. I am currently doing 5 pound chest presses with Jillian and trying to do pushups. :love:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Lift heavy, then you don't have to take *kitten* from anybody.

yeah-i-ll-make-you-a-sammich.jpg
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    superherostaci.jpg

someone needs to wipe my drool from my keyboard.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    LOL what? No really... What?

If there's one thing I'll never be mistaken for, it's a football player!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    there is no reason to NOT lift heavy weights when you are a girl. You won't get huge unless you take steroids. Sorry but the guys are right and I also suggest that on here too!

And, btw I weigh 105 and when i do leg press i press 210 (just as an example). But I also eat a lot of protein. I am not huge.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you are smarter than this. REALLY. Goodness gracious.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    hahaha! I like being lifted. ;)
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that someone could pay attention to the first half of a frequent suggestion, to "lift heavy", whilst completely ignoring the equally frequent disclaimer that is included in with that advice, which is "I swear, it won't make you look like a guy."
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Because it works and you are a better woman for doing so on so many levels. We don't bulk like crazy so it will make women nice and shapely. Cardio alone is dead.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I saw a dead horse a few miles back... Lets go beat the **** out of it!

Precisely what I was thinking.

I honestly just cannot fathom how so many people are still ignorant of the benefits of weight lifting for women. That garbage was debunked before it even got started.

This whole thing is yet another marketing victory for pseudoscience and piss poor assumptions.

Those freakish women you see that have pecs that would make Arnold jealous? They're doping. Women don't produce enough test to get a build like that without it, except in some very rare cases of huge hormonal imbalances.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Why do the guys on MFP often advise HEAVY WEIGHT LIFTING for Women? And I'm pretty sure their wives/girlfriends do NOT look like look like football players! A little hypocritcal, don't you think?!!! I'm just sayin...LOL

Probably because men are the ones who have traditionally lifted weights and seem to know more about it. Even now, as it's picking up for women the free weights area is dominated by men because girls are intimidated. That is changing at the gym I workout at because women are seeing that you can be strong and lift heavy and you won't get "big" as a girl because you don't have the hormones for it. Women who do steroids have scared other women into thinking lifting will make them look like men, when it's not the lifting, it's the steroids and other abuses of hormones that mainly make women look masculine.

I advise women to lift heavy. Why? Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Young women, start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories. I learned this the hard way.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    We have been trying and trying to prove that women lifting heavy will cause their uterus to fall out. It hasn't worked yet, so we're just going to keep trying.

ETA: Did I mention that a woman that can deadlift or squat her own body weight is hot as hell?
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    ...Cardio alone is dead.

This!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    superherostaci.jpg

If that is looking like a football player then I am sure glad I started lifting!!! I want to look like one too :drinker:
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    what is insulting about this misconception is that it belittles the years of effort and rigorous training those who lift and bodybuild professionally. if it was so easy that just lifting without consciously trying to get huge?
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<Linebacker, surely. Squats 180, Deadlifts 220 for reps. Lifts in skirts. Rocks heels.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    We have been trying and trying to prove that women lifting heavy will cause their uterus to fall out. It hasn't worked yet, so we're just going to keep trying.

I have heard about this happening to a number of female friends... Obviously they stopped lifting and resumed more feminine activities like they should have stuck to in the first place.