I gained 18 pounds overnight

Options

Replies

• NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Did you look down and check if your cat was sitting on it with you??
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I would check the scale but I would also just weigh myself in the morning after ur first void. It could also be a lot of other factors. What time did you stop eating, what did you eat, tom... 18 pounds seems like a lot.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I would say that I would check the scale, but if it wee me that scale would have been shattered against my concrete porch.

Dr Oz, who I don't like, briefly addresses the issue: http://www.sharecare.com/question/possible-gain-weight-overnight
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yeah... that doesn't sound right. Make sure your scale is level or has new batteries. I know that if my scale is not level, it will fluctuate dramatically. I always keep it in the exact same place every day to ensure an accurate result. Good luck!
  • cindyredmond65
    Options
    I am not a nurse but work in an er and I can tell you if you really gained that much over night thats a sign of water retention which could be sign of heart problems, try another scale say at a Publix if you have one or stop by your dr just to weigh and if it is that big of a change you need to see your dr.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I had yesterday that im not to proud of is 1 serving of a canned soup
    Was it an 18lb can of soup?
  • leolin6
    leolin6 Posts: 57
    Options
    If it was 18 lbs of fluid, I'm thinking you would probably be dead by now. Put your scale in the same place everytime you weigh and may need to purchase a new one if it continues to fluculate!!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I lot 15 lbs overnight once....Changed the batteries in my scale and gained in back....ugh!
  • maelunoc
    Options
    Whoa now people... lets not rule out an alien parasite. Did you see how quickly that alien baby grew in 'Prometheus?' :P
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I had yesterday that im not to proud of is 1 serving of a canned soup
    Was it an 18lb can of soup?

:laugh: That's hilarious.

I disagree with others that have suggested your scale is 'broke' unless it recently lost it's job. Broken, yes.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    That's not biologically possible under any scenario that I can imagine so this is either a scale error or a user error.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    I had that issue once... I learned that you're not supposed to store your scale sideways.

Seriously. I wondered WTF was up with my scale. I can step on three times in a row and it'll be three different readings.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ummm...I couldn't stand to read all the posts because this is just silly for you to actually believe that you GAINED WEIGHT WHILE SLEEPING. Not gonna happen, at least not 18 pounds worth. Perhaps you have a monkey on your back that you are unaware of.

Please tell me this was all just a joke.

And I totally agree with the comment of scales being 'broke'. I'm glad I'm not the only word Nazi on MFP.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yeah your scale. One time I lost 84lbs overnight. That was quite an accomplishment. Except that it was my broken scale.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    did you check to see if your pillows were still on the bed when you woke? not sure how many cals in 2 pillows, but that might be the culprit if they are missing
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I had that issue once... I learned that you're not supposed to store your scale sideways. If you do, you need to put it down, and not touch it for a couple of minutes before you use it. Apparently, if you move your scale around and then step on it, it's likely to be inaccurate. I've now plunked my scale down in a spot in my room and am no longer moving it around. My numbers are much more stable.

This is interesting. I have always stored mine leaning up against the wall. I'll have to try leaving it on the floor.

I do know that some scales have a slight memory in them. If your weight does not change by at least 1 pound, it will give you the same reading as you last had. I always put my scale down and step on it lightly with just one leg. After it reads that weight, I let it zero out again and then step onto it properly. This way it will give me the daily little ups and downs.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There's 2 possibilities:

1. Your scale isn't functioning properly, you moved it to another spot and weighed yourself... uneven flooring.. combination of variables ...

2. You MISREAD the scale the night before .. weighed 181 lbs .. and LOST 2 lbs overnight and weighed 179 lbs in the morning.

You typically weigh less in the mornings than you do at night ..
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your cat today???
    LMAO ...... ROFLMAO...... PIMPL
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    did you check to see if your pillows were still on the bed when you woke? not sure how many cals in 2 pillows, but that might be the culprit if they are missing

She would have to check and see if part of the mattress was missing too if that was the case.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You had an immaculate conception