Halloween~ My children are not happy!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    PS We do not buy candy that we like...

That would be a good idea, but I would have to find a candy that I didn't like. :ohwell:
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    After trick or treating, we take inventory and keep only a small portion of their favorite candies. Most of the fun is in the actual trick or treating anyway, so they don't mind too much. Funny thing is, the best treats that my kids remember are not candy. It's stuff like toys and coloring supplies. Makes sense, since candy is gone quickly and the toys last longer.

When I was a kid, my favorite treat to get was money. Not like people were giving out dollar bills or anything, but the pennies and nickels added up by the end of the night. Nowadays I don't see anyone passing out coins. Too bad for the kiddos.
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    My problem is not the candy going out, but the candy coming in. We never buy candy because we are out with our daughter getting candy.
    Please pray for me, because Reese Cups :love: will be the death of me oneday!:explode:
  • 20tulipgirl20
    Options
    Hate to say it, but that would bug me too if I were a kid on Halloween. For me, I would think it would be a great season of challenging my own will power. By having that candy in the house and resisting the urge and temptation to not eat it would help in future seasons.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    PS We do not buy candy that we like...

That would be a good idea, but I would have to find a candy that I didn't like. :ohwell:

LOL. I've bought candy I didn't like only to find out that when a chocoholic like me is desperate, anything with cocoa in it starts to look kind of good.
  • ixiHemlock
    ixiHemlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    WTF? Rice Crispies are delicious, your kids are brats. Why can't they just Trick or Treat for the extra junk they want and leave you out of it?
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Just thought of something to maybe satisfy everyone....Let the kids keep the candy they get, but keep the bags in a hard to get to place (like the garage or car trunk). Same goes for bags of halloween candy to pass out, bought in advance.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My son's 1st grade class is having a thing where we can bring in candy to send to the deployed troops. My husband is in the military and he always appreciated stuff like this when deployed, so this does two things for us.

1. Gets rid of all that extra candy!!

2. We get to do something nice for the deployed troops & show our appreciation.

My son is OK with this as well :) Win win situation.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Give it away to anyone. I don't understand why your children's moods have anything to do with this. Let them know who is boss.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Self control. Eat just one. Log it and see what it's worth. That ususally stops me.

Actually I still have a few mini bars from last Halloween in my desk drawer!
  • ajburroughs
    ajburroughs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and our neighborhood is great for trick or treating so we get a LOT of candy! We have to buy a lot too, though, because we probably have a couple hundred kids come through. People will bring whole trailer-loads of kids to our neighborhood. Love it though because I grew up not being able to trick or treat too much. And all the neighbors are out and talking to each other. We leave our candy in a big bin out in the driveway and let the kids get their own. Most of the kids will only take one or two pieces so it works out. 3 of my kids have birthdays within a few months of Halloween so we use the leftover candy to fill pinatas. That works great!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We usually start out handing 2 treats to each trick-or-treater, but if we still have LOTS after an hour or so, we double up on what we hand out. When the crowd as really thinned out, we'll give out a handful to each child, although it's usually older teens by the end of the night, and most of the time they aren't even wearing a costume. I'm happy to get rid of it; nobody here these days but husband and I. He doesn't mind taking a few in his lunch box each day; he always buys candy for that. I pretend it's black licorice and won't go near it.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I purchased Rice Crispy Treats!
    Why? They're much cheaper to make than to buy, they're really easy to make and really fun! Get the kids involved in making the treats, it always make them taste nicer, plus gives you something to do as a family.

Most parents would never let their kid eat home baked foods. i wouldn't... my mom wouldn't... it's like...candy rule #1 of safety!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    whoever is the last stragler of the night gets the whole lot of it! lol.

Last kid that appears to be under 10 yrs old gets the rest of the bowl. Kid thinks Christmas was 2 months early, and I don't have 3k empty calories staring at me. Win/Win.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I handle this two ways:

1) I don't buy candy until the weekend before Halloween. That way my husband doesn't steal any and I don't have it around long enough to eat it myself.
    2) I buy just enough candy to last me. I actually usually run out 15 minutes before the 2 hour window. If I notice I have a lot towards the last half hour, then those lucky kids get extra. I've even given some to my neighbors because I don't want it my house.

I'm going to be that annoying parent who lets thier kids only keep some of their candy then they give the rest to a dentist for cash.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    My son's 1st grade class is having a thing where we can bring in candy to send to the deployed troops. My husband is in the military and he always appreciated stuff like this when deployed, so this does two things for us.

1. Gets rid of all that extra candy!!

2. We get to do something nice for the deployed troops & show our appreciation.

My son is OK with this as well :) Win win situation.

I didn't think military people would want candy. This sounds like a win-win thing to do. Is there a specific program for this?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I purchased Rice Crispy Treats!
    Why? They're much cheaper to make than to buy, they're really easy to make and really fun! Get the kids involved in making the treats, it always make them taste nicer, plus gives you something to do as a family. Practically every kid I've ever met would rather make rice Crispy treats than buy sweets, it's something they've made and can be proud of, plus they have fun and can lick the bowl. Now personally I don't like them, but I was always happy to make them.

Most parents would immediately throw out any food item that is not commercially made and sealed. Basic Halloween safety.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    any candy left over goes either to my kids or the lucky last kid tocome to the door
    i buy candy i dont really like anyway
    and luckily, im not a big candy person anyway
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I lock the gates and leave the dogs on the loose, they sound vicious but wouldn't bite the kids... they don't know that though! :laugh: I've not had to buy candy for years :tongue:

How mean :sad: Your yard would be full of eggs in my area. egg covered dogs :tongue:
  • rjhoughton
    Options
    Last year, we didn't buy candy at all. We bought the Costco "mini-playdoh" 1 oz bags (there were 80 mini cans in each bag).

it was a huge hit! We even ran out, and had to turn off our lights because we had no candy as a backup. We looked for the playdoh again, but didn't see it this year.

I think we are not doing trick or treating this year - just keep the lights off and hibernating upstairs watching tv (and working out).