Halloween~ My children are not happy!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I'll be handing out raisins and protein shakes and ezekiel bread with sweet potato spread.

Then, I'll move to another state because my house would get burned down.

Honestly, I'll be handing out candy bars and when it nears the end of the night some lucky kid will be getting a buttload of candy. This solves the leftover candy issue and it makes one kid really freakin' happy.

I do the same thing. Unfortunately, it's always some teenager who shouldn't be out there. C'est la vie.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My son's 1st grade class is having a thing where we can bring in candy to send to the deployed troops. My husband is in the military and he always appreciated stuff like this when deployed, so this does two things for us.

1. Gets rid of all that extra candy!!

2. We get to do something nice for the deployed troops & show our appreciation.

My son is OK with this as well :) Win win situation.

I didn't think military people would want candy. This sounds like a win-win thing to do. Is there a specific program for this?

Unfortunately there are men/women that are deployed, who never get a care package. So anything that is sent, they love and they love candy lol. No specific program, just something his class is doing. We live on an Air Force Base, so the area is very military oriented. Although, there are many programs out there like Soldier's Angel, for sending stuff to deployed troops. :)
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Buy the mini candy bars & hand those out. When there's left overs, buy the sugar cookie dough in the fridge section, slice off a piece and wrap the individual snickers etc and bake like a cookie. Gooey candy centers like Milky Way & 3 Muskateers are my fav- then I give them to my co-workers for something different at the office instead of everyone's leftovers.

You could also do the little individual packets of trail mix, but that gets expensive.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually get a couple hundred trick or treaters by my house. Long ago, I started a tradition of buying bubble gum.....the kids love it (sorry Moms!) and I am not tempted to eat all the candy before Halloween! There usually is none left, but if there is, I add it to my Operation Christmas Child boxes!

Thank goodness my kids are all pretty much too old to trick or treat. I used to figure out I could pilfer a certain amount of candy from each of their buckets wtihout being detected! :-)
  • lilvicvic
    lilvicvic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lock the gates and leave the dogs on the loose, they sound vicious but wouldn't bite the kids... they don't know that though! :laugh: I've not had to buy candy for years :tongue:

:heart:
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I get hundreds of tricker treaters, our neighborhood shuts the streets down and people of all ages dress up and roam the streets we have a haunted trail and guys in chainsaws scaring all the little kids. its so much fun. The 1st year we spent 500 dollars on candy and it was all gone by 9pm.

The next year we went to the movies instead.

Now I roam the neighborhood and dont really give out candy, or will give it out for about an hour then roam the neighborhood. =)

If its gotten that insane, idthink about putting out word that next year, the neighborhood will be charging a small fee to help offset the cost of candy. If you make it free to attend, but say, two bucks a kid to go trick or treating, that'd probably keep it fun whil offsetting expenses somewhat for the street. Have wristbands to show who's paid up, and give them to all the neighbor kids (and maybe one each to share with a friend. they can buy them at the first house they visit, neighbors can divide the money up afterward, or put it into a fund for candy the following year (which you then buy wholesale).

I love Halloween, love trick or treaters, but I think this trend of taking your kids to another neighborhood is ridiculous. I get maybe two dozen kids all night, whil area kids go to the cool neighborhood. To me, it's one more lost opportunity to know the people you live near, which is important for safety and community. Neighbors I'd only met trick or treating myself sometimes ended up helping me out when I had a bike accident, or that time a stranger did try and talk me into his car. Knowing the neighbors, even by sight, gave me a bit more comfort handling a few rough situations as a kid. I think if these neighborhoods charged strangers for the privilege, the crowds would think bit, the costs of buying chocolate for the whole zip code would be offset, and kids wild spend more of their time gathering chocolate closer to home.