Gluten is the Devil

Options
GorillaEsq
GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
About once a week, the media upchucks something new that's "bad for you." Fat, carbs, tigers, bears, wtf-ever...

Thus, when the Mrs. (who's a nutty-crunchy-semi-vegitarian-whole-food-doctor) approached me with yet another thing that was going to kill me by next Wednesday, I was less than impressed. In fact, my initial response was something to-the-effect of, "Sweet. Let me go drag in a dead horse. You beat it, whilst I make it feel small, humiliated and question the choices its made in its life up to this point."

The catalyst for this newest onslaught on my dietary awesomeness was a book she recently devoured called Wheat Belly (I'll provide a link below). The very-short-Cliff's-Notes summary of the book is basically this, "Gluten, bad."

Now, this notion flies directly in the face of the FDA food-dodecahedron, or pyramid, or whatever f**king shape it is this month. We've always been taught that "wheat good... WHEAT... GOOOOOD." William Davis, author of Wheat Belly summarily says in the book that wheat, more specially genetically engineered wheat that contains icky gluten, is basically turning everyone on the planet into squishy, achy, diabetes-riddled Michelin Men.

Reluctantly, I agreed to try a little experiment, mostly because my wife keeps both my spine and testicles in her nightstand, and she said I could have them back for a few hours, if I agreed. Excited at the prospect of being allowed to be a man for a brief stay, I went gluten-free for three (3) days.

In my profession we have a legal term that epitomizes the results... "holy *kitten*."

Within forty-eight (48) hours, every joint in my body stopped hurting, I stopped having headaches, my 4 year old graduated college, I cured cancer and my farts began to smell like freshly baked cupcakes.

Ok, so some of that was an exaggeration. But... My joints and back really did stop aching, entirely.

I have long attributed my terrible back and joint pain to years of martial arts / combatives training, and the fact that I'm quickly growing older than dirt. I was wrong. (Which is very painful for me to type, by the way, as I have never been wrong about anything, ever. Just ask me.)

I continued going gluten-free for another week, and I remained pain-free the entire time.

My chiropractor even noticed a difference. Before the experiment, I was visiting him 1-3 times a week, and each time my joints would crackle like a movie theater popcorn machine. I'm down to seeing him once every two weeks, for "maintenance" only. He's a bit pissed, because he's having a hard time making the payments on his summer home, since I cutout gluten.

To further drive-home the results, this past weekend we went camping with the kids. As it was a special trip, I basically opened-up a giant bag of wheat-based whoop@*kitten*, that we will affectionately call "Gluten-Palooza." Hotdog buns, hamburger buns, crackers, etc, etc. I think at one point I actually rolled angel-hair pasta into a joint, and smoked it.

We started camping on Friday morning, and by Saturday evening, my knees, elbows and back felt as though they were on fire, they hurt so badly.

Sunday, I went back to gluten-free and by Tuesday morning, I felt awesome, once again.

Just something to ponder, as you drudge through your Friday towards the weekend.

Now quick... minimize the screen... your boss is coming.

Happy Friday.
Keep being awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543

Replies

• juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Gluten isn't everyone's devil though, I went gluten free for a couple of weeks and noticed no change in anything so I started eating it again (admittedly I probably have less than I used to cause I don't have much bread or pasta anymore) cause well it's in a lot of tasty stuff!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I read wheat belly....and I was intrigued at what the author had to say....

i went gluten free for my daughter...(I don't eat bread based carbs anyways...for other reasons) and she's been sick less...and less achy in her arms (four breaks total in two years...so she already gets achy in the arms)....

so yeah...i'm actually keeping an eye on this gluten free thing...
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Maybe you felt better because it was in your head that you were doing a good thing? I don't believe gluten is a bad thing and if I don't have a medical reason, I see no reason to cut it from my diet personally. Until I do, if I do, I won't be gutting it out. I don't eat much pasta or breads anymore because of it being high in carbs and all, I wish I felt better from doing so, but I don't. To each his own.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Funny read, but It's hard to tell whether all of this is BS or some of it is actually true.

I was gluten free for three months (because I was low carb, Atkins style). Started working out again, have allowed myself to eat a little bit of bread and even some sugar (although I'm still not sure I like the taste of chocolate milk anymore, I keep going to the fridge, pouring a glass, drinking it, and trying to decide if it's icky or tasty). But anyway, no extra joint or back pain that I've noticed yet, and I have a bad back and creaky knees.

Of course, it could be different for everyone, and if any part of your post is serious, I'll keep a closer eye on how my joints feel on days I do eat bread.

Cheers!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to ponder this, but I'm not quite sure if you're being serious or not. My sarcasm meter isn't working yet this morning :)
  • Aimeebird1
    Aimeebird1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You make my day :flowerforyou:
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I watched that documentary Fathead the other day (I know came out in 2009, not sure where I've been) but the point of this is they talked about how grain is pushed on us to lose weight when it's what farmers/ranchers use to fatten up their livestock.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the following:

We started camping on Friday morning, and by Saturday evening, my knees, elbows and back felt as though they were on fire, they hurt so badly.

Could be attributed to sleeping on the ground, couldn't it?
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Gluten intolerance maybe?

Just like lactose intolerance.

Another book you might want to read is 'The Paleo Solution' by Robb Wolfe.

I'm not saying go caveman-ish in any sense of the word, but it's actually an entertaining book and goes along similar lines... I'm about to buy 'Wheat Belly' myself, and hope to have some good reading for next week :)
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Oh, and the following:

Could be attributed to sleeping on the ground, couldn't it?
    Possibly, but unlikely as we slept on an air mattress that was nearly as comfortable as our bed.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Gluten intolerance maybe?

Just like lactose intolerance.

Another book you might want to read is 'The Paleo Solution' by Robb Wolfe.

I'm not saying go caveman-ish in any sense of the word, but it's actually an entertaining book and goes along similar lines... I'm about to buy 'Wheat Belly' myself, and hope to have some good reading for next week :)
    I'm no doctor, but that's what my wife thinks. Everyone's body handles things differently, and apparently mine hates gluten.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that any benefits you may or may not garner from going gluten free is going to be vastly and wildly overshadowed from the pain that is your better half saying "I told you so" for the next 20 years =)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Gluten isn't everyone's devil though, I went gluten free for a couple of weeks and noticed no change in anything so I started eating it again (admittedly I probably have less than I used to cause I don't have much bread or pasta anymore) cause well it's in a lot of tasty stuff!

QFT
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Gluten allergies are much more prevalent than what is diagnosed. You probably are one of the many who have a slight intolerance. I've been tested because of IBS symptoms gluten is not my trigger.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I just want to point out that any benefits you may or may not garner from going gluten free is going to be vastly and wildly overshadowed from the pain that is your better half saying "I told you so" for the next 20 years =)
    Amen brotha. Amen.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    you're wife is ALWAYS right ! :wink:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Funny read, but It's hard to tell whether all of this is BS or some of it is actually true.
    Ok, you got me. My farts don't smell like cupcakes.

The joint / back pain parts are completely true.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I would discuss with your doctor about being tested for coeliac . Join pain is one of the symptoms and its worth ruling out - from experience as I had severe arthritis at 16 due to undiagnosed coeliac.. For the blood test you will need to eat gluten for a few weeks before hand but if you are wanting to go down that path its worth getting the test out of the way.

I also know quite a few people who have tested negative but have seen a positive result when cutting out gluten. There is now research into non-coeliac auto immune responses to gluten which gives the same symptoms as coeliacs.

Good luck with the diet - it is very easy to find stuff in this day and age.

PS wish my farts smelt of cupcakes!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Good for you on being prepared to experiment, and find out how YOUR body responds.

Gluten is certainly a big culprit for may people - but not all (as has been pointed out)

And thank you for your entertaining style :laugh:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The Wheat Belly book: Worst pseudo-science EVER

comicbookguy.gif