Gluten is the Devil

Options

Replies

• Babicam
    Babicam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been Gluten-Free (ok for the most part) for a year now. Only because I have Celiac disease and it is unhealthy and harmful to my body if I eat it.

It is one of the most difficult things I have had to do. I have to be very careful.

Good Luck in your Gluten-Free endeavor!

Have a slice of "real" pizza for me :smile:
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    by the way....you're hilarious.
    I try.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Can't say that gluten affects me the same way it affects you - but I loved your post. I think you need to be nominated for "MFP post of they year!"
    Thanks. I could give an acceptance speech in the form of a post... that the mods would then delete. ;)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You got me with the aches and pains, of which I have many from strenuous workouts. I ordered the book and will keep an open mind. Also one of the few looong posts I've read to the end. Thanks.

p.s. Can your wife write a book about the nightstand drawer thing? I have yet to perfect that...
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    A lot of asian cultures eat high-carb diets (lot of yummy rice), but are virtually gluten-free.

Sometimes people think low-carb diets work because they are low-carb when actually, it's because they are cutting out gluten (pastas, breads, etc.).

My two cents...
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Dr. thought at one time that i had ciliac disease so I went gluten free. Tests showed that I didn't have ciliac but I am very sensitive to gluten. I do have bread now and then and other items that contain gluten. For me it makes my joints hurt, my tongue burns and my muscles burn down to the bone caused by fibro but I feel its made worse by gluten. I need to get back to completely gluten free because my pain level has increased and for me its better to avoid gluten than to take meds that harm the liver and do nothing for my pain.

Personally I say eat what you want and if you feel better avoiding certain things than avoid them. As I get older I'm finding I'm more sensitive to things, metals, foods, allergies etc. Your body changes constantly. Do what makes you feel better and healthier.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I can't cure cancer but "cupcake smelling farts"...my new goal in life

:laugh: :laugh:
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Sir, you could have a career writing humor. Hilarious read, and I'm glad you found something that worked for you!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    You got me with the aches and pains, of which I have many from strenuous workouts. I ordered the book and will keep an open mind. Also one of the few looong posts I've read to the end. Thanks.

p.s. Can your wife write a book about the nightstand drawer thing? I have yet to perfect that...
    *sigh*
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Gluten IS the Devil! I discovered I'm a celiac about 3 months ago. For the first time in my life I don't have a stomach ache. I accidentally had some after a couple of weeks and felt as though I had food poisoning and the worst flu ever - all at the same time. It took 4 days to feel better.

I've been grain-free all that time as well after a reacted to a gluten-free pizza.

In six months I will introduce some grains one at a time to determine what I can and cannot tolerate.

You may also find other food intolerances appear once your system heals from the gluten.

Glad you discovered the source of your aches and pains!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    A lot of asian cultures eat high-carb diets (lot of yummy rice), but are virtually gluten-free.

Sometimes people think low-carb diets work because they are low-carb when actually, it's because they are cutting out gluten (pastas, breads, etc.).

My two cents...

Yes and while Japan his the lowest obesity rate, they also have the highest rate of stomach and bladder cancers due to that rice and its high levels of arsenic, not to mention all the mercury in the Tuna they eat. I spoke to a Dr. a few months ago about this. She is working on a study about this very thing at U of Penn. So there are benefits and risks to eating anything to an extreme. I used to eat sushi at least 3x's or more a week. Now its more like once or twice a month.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Sir, you could have a career writing humor. Hilarious read, and I'm glad you found something that worked for you!
    Everyone keeps telling me to write a book, but unless a site moderator is waiting in the wings to delete it... I just don't feel "whole."
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    You sure you're not just feeling better because you got to visit your spine and balls again?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you had a gluten sensitivity and didn't even know it! Interesting "experiment."
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    You sure you're not just feeling better because you got to visit your spine and balls again?
    Like she allowed me to keep them. You sir, are a funny man.
  • tumblyweed
    Options

My two cents...

Yes and while Japan his the lowest obesity rate, they also have the highest rate of stomach and bladder cancers due to that rice and its high levels of arsenic, not to mention all the mercury in the Tuna they eat. I spoke to a Dr. a few months ago about this. She is working on a study about this very thing at U of Penn. So there are benefits and risks to eating anything to an extreme. I used to eat sushi at least 3x's or more a week. Now its more like once or twice a month.

Yes. I have read this. But my point was, as you pointed out, high-carb but low obseity rate, so carb is not necessarily the answer but cutting out gluten has huge benefits for some. Sucks about the rice. I eat tons. My diet is naturally high-carb due to fruits and rice, probably more so since I cut out gluten. Still able to lose weight, though...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the following:

We started camping on Friday morning, and by Saturday evening, my knees, elbows and back felt as though they were on fire, they hurt so badly.

Could be attributed to sleeping on the ground, couldn't it?

We have driven several miles to a Walmart store when the air mattress busted one camping trip. I can't even lie down on the ground, let alone sleep there! :laugh:
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    Like she allowed me to keep them. You sir, are a funny man.

I think I like your wife. Smart woman. Only gives you as much as you can handle...

They do have a purpose but it's always a good idea to put things back in their place hen you're done with them. :blushing:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I wish to know the magic nightstand trick! my hubby seems pretty untrainable. At least I got him to "bless me" and open doors and all. But he does not take orders AT ALL. Can't make him to do anything. Pouty faces, angry doesn't work. His work on me.

I think he was my ....my...boobs? Ovaries? whatever .... spine ...in a drawer locked away.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I know several people who are severely allergic to gluten and others who are merely intolerant.

You just have to experiment and find how various foods effect you. I didn't know until recently that I'm allergic to chicken eggs. I already have to cut out most processed sugar for health reasons.

I like some gluten free for the taste, and since my friend is gluten free we came up with an awesome gluten free pumpkin pie that is less calories and is the best tasting pumpkin pie I have ever had.

But sometimes gluten free is too many calories for me.

I LOVE Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty gluten free cereal, but I'm not ready to go total gluten free. I love my sour dough french bread!