Gluten is the Devil

Options

Replies

• Cryssy27
    Cryssy27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OP I am very happy you feel better! To me gluten is the devil because I have full blow Celicas Disease. It took me only 48 hours to feel 50% better. One week I was a new lady! I am glad your feeling better!
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Gluten

high in protein, high in iron, low to no sodium, bit of calcium...

Moderation and a balanced diet is the key in every aspect

If you have an allergy to it or don't react well, then that's another story
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for about five months and have totally cut out my migraines (they were debilitating and at least once a week) as well as all fibromyalgia symptoms. I'm off all my meds and have seriously reduced acid reflux symptoms as well. I feel great and feel like crap if I cheat, even just a little. In my research 1 in 10 are gluten sensitive and if you are sensitive then you will feel much better if you cut it out but if you are not sensitive then you won't really notice much of a difference. It's worth at least trying.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Maybe you felt better because it was in your head that you were doing a good thing? I don't believe gluten is a bad thing and if I don't have a medical reason, I see no reason to cut it from my diet personally. Until I do, if I do, I won't be gutting it out. I don't eat much pasta or breads anymore because of it being high in carbs and all, I wish I felt better from doing so, but I don't. To each his own.

Yup, it's all in our heads, diet can't possibly affect health. This is the kind of comment that irks me so badly.

My diet resolved: severe depression, anxiety, anti-social behaviour, indigestion, gas, bloating, acid reflux, ulcers, chronic pain (this was bad enough that I was considering suicide), sleep apnea, insomnia, joint pain, muscle cramps, pre diabetes, headaches, chronic infections/colds/flus/bronchitis, and more.

Many of the health problems are common ailments that people suffer with that don't even know they are sick. For instance, depression, gas, bloating, etc. No, lots of gas is not normal and feeling "down" is not normal.

You don't have to change your diet, but stop discrediting the experience of other people. Thanks.

She wasn't discrediting your experience, just stating her opinion. She clarified that medical reasons could warrant it, but that for her such exclusion wasn't necessary.

Yes she was discrediting the experience by saying "all in your head". That is totally discrediting and also considered verbal abuse.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Interesting. It sounds, in my non-expert opinion that you have a mild gluten allergy/intolerance. That's awesome that you found that out. Enjoy your testicles.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Glad you feel better! I have gone gluten free before too but I didn't see any difference because I didn't have any "symptoms." I should make my husband try it, he is constantly whining about joint pain, especially his elbow. If I tell him he will ***** about it so I think I won't tell him (I cook and pack his lunch for work so he doesn't have to know. Haha)
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It sounds, in my non-expert opinion that you have a mild gluten allergy/intolerance. That's awesome that you found that out. Enjoy your testicles.
    I do. I do.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Great story.. Gluten f*ckin sucks. I recently had the worst 9 months of my life.. Symptoms started in October of 2011 and ended around July 20th 2012 (I cut gluten out on July 17th).

Long story short version. Started with terrible intestinal and abdominal pain, followed by blood pressure of 190/90 (pretty much ready to have a stroke or heart attack), brain fog to the point where I couldn't read, write or focus on anything.. I would even have a hard time walking, vision changes (woke up one day and everything was no longer 3 dimensional), massive panic attacks that sent me to the ER a few times, fatigue that prevented me from getting out of bed some days..I couldn't even look at the gym for 8 months (I'm a fitness manager and personal trainer), weight gain, skin turned a greyish color and I was very close to losing my job. I was literally dying on every level.

Doctor's never figured this out by the way.. I was put on ani-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, thyroid hormone and blood pressure meds.

27 years old.. Fit my whole life.. And this is what I had become.. At one point I reached the edge.. Wasn't sure how much longer I could live like that.

I made one last attempt.. Cut out gluten.. All symptoms gone.. Most Doctor's suck (although there are some good ones), Gluten f*cking sucks.. The end..
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Love the post
    Love the sarcasm

My boyfriend and I both went Gluten free last Jan. We've both experienced the same as you. My "bad knee" hasn't hurt or been swollen since then....except for the days after "Gluten palooza's"!

oh crap, the boss is coming.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Gluten-free because of celiac's. I had a freakishly low white blood cell count, constant unexplained bruising, vitamin-d deficiency, etc., but all of my blood tests for everything under the sun came back normal.

I cut out gluten entirely and within two weeks lost 2 inches from my tummy. I also used to get frequent migraines...not so much now. I do believe a lot of people are sensitive to gluten to different degrees.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Gluten isn't everyone's devil though

I think that's pretty much right but I think gluten intolerance is far more prevalent than first thought. The Government here in the UK instead of waging a ridiculous war against cholesterol could do something far more useful and invest that money into gluten screening programmes. Oh look, there's a flying pig...

I have recently followed a similar experiment to Mr Gorilla Esq and have found similar results. I'm trying to pin down if it is actually wheat or yeast that I react badly too (I suspect it is yeast) but I feel much better for it.
  • KellyJoMorris
    KellyJoMorris Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for a very interesting and well written piece. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. xx
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe you felt better because it was in your head that you were doing a good thing? I don't believe gluten is a bad thing and if I don't have a medical reason, I see no reason to cut it from my diet personally. Until I do, if I do, I won't be gutting it out. I don't eat much pasta or breads anymore because of it being high in carbs and all, I wish I felt better from doing so, but I don't. To each his own.

Yup, it's all in our heads, diet can't possibly affect health. This is the kind of comment that irks me so badly.

My diet resolved: severe depression, anxiety, anti-social behaviour, indigestion, gas, bloating, acid reflux, ulcers, chronic pain (this was bad enough that I was considering suicide), sleep apnea, insomnia, joint pain, muscle cramps, pre diabetes, headaches, chronic infections/colds/flus/bronchitis, and more.

Many of the health problems are common ailments that people suffer with that don't even know they are sick. For instance, depression, gas, bloating, etc. No, lots of gas is not normal and feeling "down" is not normal.

You don't have to change your diet, but stop discrediting the experience of other people. Thanks.

She wasn't discrediting your experience, just stating her opinion. She clarified that medical reasons could warrant it, but that for her such exclusion wasn't necessary.

Yes she was discrediting the experience by saying "all in your head". That is totally discrediting and also considered verbal abuse.

That post was far from abusive. While I do think it could have been worded better, we all know that it is possible to alleviate symptoms psychologically. It happens all the time in clinical trials with placebos. Perhaps this is what was being alluded to. And the post did say "Maybe".
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I don't have any health problems. I'll keep my gluten, and other people's, thanks.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    There is nothing about gluten that would harm anyone unless you’re allergic to it.
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says. I cut gluten out of my life at the suggestion of a nutritionist and feel so much better I've not gone back. I won't even eat the fabulous brioche bun at Umami Burger (!) (Yes, you can ask for the burgers "protein style.") If it's all in my head, so be it...but my phys med doc is impressed by my joint health & active lifestyle at the age of 60 when a few years ago it was quite likely I'd be hobbling around by now.

When I cut out the foods that are inflammatory in my system (in addition to gluten I avoid potatoes, white sugar, etc.) I feel good. When I eat them I feel bad. Sometimes I test it out and am always sorry - joints flare, digestion gets hinky, headache, fatigue, etc.

Do what works for you! We're lucky now that there are really delicious substitutions when you absolutely have to have bread products. Udi's is the bomb for bread, buns & the like, & Tinkyada pasta is wonderful.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options

That post was far from abusive. While I do think it could have been worded better, we all know that it is possible to alleviate symptoms psychologically. It happens all the time in clinical trials with placebos. Perhaps this is what was being alluded to. And the post did say "Maybe".

The last thing anyone wants to hear after suffering for so long is, "It's all in your head." Regardless if it was meant in an innocent way or not.. When I was going through all my ****, I would want to lose it when someone would say that to me.. Usually the person saying it has no understanding of the situation, and really has no reason to make the "It's all in your head" statement.. They should just keep quiet.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    My oldest kid had issues that we thought were possibly diet related. We did a few rounds of cutting out and adding back foods that we suspected. None had any impact on her until we got to gluten but when we cut that out it was like a switch was flipped and a different kid appeared. It's just easier if inside our house we all go gluten free so I don't have to worry about cross contamination and the like but in doing so I began to suspect that not only were a couple of my other kids gluten intolerant but that I myself am too. I didn't want to admit this and was in denial for a little while but after a stretch of being exclusively GF I ate some and felt like a bomb dropped on me. Now I too am GF and feeling so much better! Trust me, it's not all "in my head". You can eat just as crappy on a GF diet as you can on one filled with it! I'm a baker and really good at it so trust me on this one. ;)
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    There is nothing about gluten that would harm anyone unless you’re allergic to it.
    The same is true for poison, thumbtacks, turtle meat and yak balls. I don't eat any of those either.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I keep having new food issues. Now my list of bad food reactions/allergies contains:

gluten/wheat
    coconut
    peanuts
    dairy (lesser extint)

I'm having issues pop up with chocolate now too. I don't like loosing so many of my fav food options. I'd love to find out its fixable. I read Candida can cause reactions to food. And I tested positive for systemic ones, so I hope if I ever get disciplined enough to do a Candida killing diet, that they will stop.

until I keep cheating and having increasingly worse allergic reactions. ESP to gluten. Its getting almost unbearable! But so hard to be out of the loop. Just want to be normal.