Gluten is the Devil

Options

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I keep having new food issues. Now my list of bad food reactions/allergies contains:

gluten/wheat
    coconut
    peanuts
    dairy (lesser extint)

I'm having issues pop up with chocolate now too. I don't like loosing so many of my fav food options. I'd love to find out its fixable. I read Candida can cause reactions to food. And I tested positive for systemic ones, so I hope if I ever get disciplined enough to do a Candida killing diet, that they will stop.

until I keep cheating and having increasingly worse allergic reactions. ESP to gluten. Its getting almost unbearable! But so hard to be out of the loop. Just want to be normal.
    Did you know that Twizzlers (the licorice candy) is primarily comprised of wheat? WTF is that about?
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

The last thing anyone wants to hear after suffering for so long is, "It's all in your head." Regardless if it was meant in an innocent way or not.. When I was going through all my ****, I would want to lose it when someone would say that to me.. Usually the person saying it has no understanding of the situation, and really has no reason to make the "It's all in your head" statement.. They should just keep quiet.

^^^^ This!!! The "in your head" comment is SO hurtful to those who have been in pain and suffering for years, if not decades. We don't need to try to undercut those who have found solutions to physical issues they struggle with. Just not necessary. Celebrate with them, instead. Or keep your opinion to yourself. Just my .02
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great story.. Gluten f*ckin sucks. I recently had the worst 9 months of my life.. Symptoms started in October of 2011 and ended around July 20th 2012 (I cut gluten out on July 17th).

Long story short version. Started with terrible intestinal and abdominal pain, followed by blood pressure of 190/90 (pretty much ready to have a stroke or heart attack), brain fog to the point where I couldn't read, write or focus on anything.. I would even have a hard time walking, vision changes (woke up one day and everything was no longer 3 dimensional), massive panic attacks that sent me to the ER a few times, fatigue that prevented me from getting out of bed some days..I couldn't even look at the gym for 8 months (I'm a fitness manager and personal trainer), weight gain, skin turned a greyish color and I was very close to losing my job. I was literally dying on every level.

Doctor's never figured this out by the way.. I was put on ani-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, thyroid hormone and blood pressure meds.

27 years old.. Fit my whole life.. And this is what I had become.. At one point I reached the edge.. Wasn't sure how much longer I could live like that.

I made one last attempt.. Cut out gluten.. All symptoms gone.. Most Doctor's suck (although there are some good ones), Gluten f*cking sucks.. The end..

Sounds like my story, 8 months of hell but different symptoms. Couldn't brush my own teeth or hair from arthritis pain. Couldn't hold a pencil. Couldn't think straight anymore, could barely stay awake through an entire day at work. Terrible headaches. Almost lost my job. Facing assisted living at age 27. Took a bunch of meds, none of them did any good. Doctor was stumped, all the tests she put me through were negative. Stopped eating gluten - better in ONE DAY. Been GF 4 years now. And if I eat gluten - all that comes back within hours. Gluten sucks.

If you don't have a problem with gluten, great for you, you're the lucky one. I do have a problem with it, so I don't eat it. Simple as that.
  • jflint86
    Options
    Did you know that Twizzlers (the licorice candy) is primarily comprised of wheat? WTF is that about?

Ugh, I know. I miss them so much.

On a side note, if you ever liked cookies n creme candy bars(which contain wheat), Hershey came out with these little cookies n creme candy drops that taste EXACTLY like the candy bar, but have no gluten. Love them!!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I keep having new food issues. Now my list of bad food reactions/allergies contains:

gluten/wheat
    coconut
    peanuts
    dairy (lesser extint)

I'm having issues pop up with chocolate now too. I don't like loosing so many of my fav food options. I'd love to find out its fixable. I read Candida can cause reactions to food. And I tested positive for systemic ones, so I hope if I ever get disciplined enough to do a Candida killing diet, that they will stop.

until I keep cheating and having increasingly worse allergic reactions. ESP to gluten. Its getting almost unbearable! But so hard to be out of the loop. Just want to be normal.

Its in tomato soup and all sorts of things. Its an expensive PAIN IN MY AZZZZZZ! Everything seems crappy thats premade allergy free and home makingevery tiny thing down to a simple cracker or candy is such a chore!

i hate it. sometimes I'd rather just not eat, just pout. But I know thats never the answer. Just have to suck it up.

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.
  • jflint86
    Options

gluten/wheat
    coconut
    peanuts
    dairy (lesser extint)

Its in tomato soup and all sorts of things. Its an expensive PAIN IN MY AZZZZZZ! Everything seems crappy thats premade allergy free and home makingevery tiny thing down to a simple cracker or candy is such a chore!

i hate it. sometimes I'd rather just not eat, just pout. But I know thats never the answer. Just have to suck it up.

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.

I've been GF for 3 years and eat every single thing I ate before, just found different brands, etc.

Pacific brand tomato soup is GF and seriously amazing! Much better than any Campbell's tomato soup I ever had before. I make lasagne with TInkyada lasagne noodles, pasta with Trader Joe's rice pasta, tacos with corn tortillas, pumpkin bread with Pamela's Baking Mix, and the list goes on and on and on. If anyone wants advice on how to find gluten free foods that are comparable/equivalent to their gluten options, feel free to message me!
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Long story short, I suffered from chronic depression almost my entire life until 6 months ago. I cut gluten from my diet and within 2-3 days my depression was gone! It hasnt returned :)

About 2-3 months ago I ate some food items that contained gluten in them and I not only got sick, I started feeling depressed again! I talk to my doctor and she told me that some people are so sensetive to gluten that it can cause a wide range of symptoms including mental health issues. I have spent the last 10 years of my life depressed and on medication because I thought I was depressed! Come to find out my depression/stomach pain/and countless other symptoms were all signs of gluten allergy.

Btw to OP: I saw him on Youtube and it was what convinced me to try a gluten free diet and see what happen :) Glad it worked out for both of us!
  • yancymichele
    yancymichele Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have no opinion on whether or not gluten is bad for everyone, and it's not a battle I want to fight, but for those saying they gave up bread and pasta and felt no different, keep in mind that gluten is in much more than just those things. Salad dressings, meat substitutes, candy, even some spices, soy sauce, soup, trail mixes, fried vegetables, etc. It's also not just found in what most people think of as wheat. Rye, barley. The jury is out on oats though it is suspected some struggle more because of cross contamination. It's so bad that the Mayo Clinic actually advises avoiding a really long list of things unless labeled gluten free.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

So again, just cutting out bread and pasta tells you nothing about whether or not you went gluten free.
  • dmg051202
    dmg051202 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hilarious! I recently started cutting wheat out of my diet and its amazing how much better I feel.
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in if my farts will begin to smell like freshly baked cupcakes too. Or wait was that one of your exaggerations?? WTF, can't a girl catch a break??:noway:
  • wrevhn
    Options

gluten/wheat
    coconut
    peanuts
    dairy (lesser extint)

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.

I've been GF for 3 years and eat every single thing I ate before, just found different brands, etc.

Pacific brand tomato soup is GF and seriously amazing! Much better than any Campbell's tomato soup I ever had before. I make lasagne with TInkyada lasagne noodles, pasta with Trader Joe's rice pasta, tacos with corn tortillas, pumpkin bread with Pamela's Baking Mix, and the list goes on and on and on. If anyone wants advice on how to find gluten free foods that are comparable/equivalent to their gluten options, feel free to message me!

hitting you up dear! I totally could use the help!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There is nothing about gluten that would harm anyone unless you’re allergic to it.
    The same is true for poison, thumbtacks, turtle meat and yak balls. I don't eat any of those either.

Now, now. I'm pretty sure eating thumbtacks would be harmful with or without allergy!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    different people have different levels of gluten intolerance.
    the fact that your joints were in pain and you were in constant headache mode indicates that your intolerance is quite high.
    do you have stomach problems as well? these should improve and you should feel a lot less tired.

for me, gluten or non doesnt make a huge difference whereas, my other half has full blown celiac disease meaning ingestion of gluten results in extensive symptoms, great pain, and could result in his death as his insides basically attack themselves when he eats gluten.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    also the farting thing is totally true
    if you are gluten intolerant/celiac and you stop eating gluten, those big smelly farts and poos will be replaced by a much lighter variety lol
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    There is nothing about gluten that would harm anyone unless you’re allergic to it.
    The same is true for poison, thumbtacks, turtle meat and yak balls. I don't eat any of those either.

Now, now. I'm pretty sure eating thumbtacks would be harmful with or without allergy!
    Give it a minute. Someone will Google a website that claims thumbtacks cure hemorrhoids.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Can't say that gluten affects me the same way it affects you - but I loved your post. I think you need to be nominated for "MFP post of they year!"
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I truly believe some people have a gluten intolerance, that doesnt mean everyone has celiac disease, my nephew has DS and celiac is common with DS children, gluten really f's up his system to the point where he needs hospitalization. I have cut my gluten down drastically over the last three months and I have had the same results, less headaches, less joint pain, less bloating, more "regular". Also, some people think going gluten free means no carbs, well that is soooooooooooo far from the truth, one has NOTHING to do with the other. When you cut out gluten, you only remove wheat (all forms, like spelt & durum), rye, and barley. So you really arent sacrificing much. You can still carb out on quinoa, buckwheat (dont let the name fool you), potatoes, rice, and even oats, as long as they are gluten free, like Bobs Red Mill. Oats are naturally gluten free, its cultivating then in close proximity to wheat fields and processing them on the same equipment as wheat products that gives them a bad rap.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    About once a week, the media upchucks something new that's "bad for you." Fat, carbs, tigers, bears, wtf-ever...

Thus, when the Mrs. (who's a nutty-crunchy-semi-vegitarian-whole-food-doctor) approached me with yet another thing that was going to kill me by next Wednesday, I was less than impressed. In fact, my initial response was something to-the-effect of, "Sweet. Let me go drag in a dead horse. You beat it, whilst I make it feel small, humiliated and question the choices its made in its life up to this point."

The catalyst for this newest onslaught on my dietary awesomeness was a book she recently devoured called Wheat Belly (I'll provide a link below). The very-short-Cliff's-Notes summary of the book is basically this, "Gluten, bad."

Now, this notion flies directly in the face of the FDA food-dodecahedron, or pyramid, or whatever f**king shape it is this month. We've always been taught that "wheat good... WHEAT... GOOOOOD." William Davis, author of Wheat Belly summarily says in the book that wheat, more specially genetically engineered wheat that contains icky gluten, is basically turning everyone on the planet into squishy, achy, diabetes-riddled Michelin Men.

Reluctantly, I agreed to try a little experiment, mostly because my wife keeps both my spine and testicles in her nightstand, and she said I could have them back for a few hours, if I agreed. Excited at the prospect of being allowed to be a man for a brief stay, I went gluten-free for three (3) days.

In my profession we have a legal term that epitomizes the results... "holy *kitten*."

Within forty-eight (48) hours, every joint in my body stopped hurting, I stopped having headaches, my 4 year old graduated college, I cured cancer and my farts began to smell like freshly baked cupcakes.

Ok, so some of that was an exaggeration. But... My joints and back really did stop aching, entirely.

I have long attributed my terrible back and joint pain to years of martial arts / combatives training, and the fact that I'm quickly growing older than dirt. I was wrong. (Which is very painful for me to type, by the way, as I have never been wrong about anything, ever. Just ask me.)

I continued going gluten-free for another week, and I remained pain-free the entire time.

My chiropractor even noticed a difference. Before the experiment, I was visiting him 1-3 times a week, and each time my joints would crackle like a movie theater popcorn machine. I'm down to seeing him once every two weeks, for "maintenance" only. He's a bit pissed, because he's having a hard time making the payments on his summer home, since I cutout gluten.

To further drive-home the results, this past weekend we went camping with the kids. As it was a special trip, I basically opened-up a giant bag of wheat-based whoop@*kitten*, that we will affectionately call "Gluten-Palooza." Hotdog buns, hamburger buns, crackers, etc, etc. I think at one point I actually rolled angel-hair pasta into a joint, and smoked it.

We started camping on Friday morning, and by Saturday evening, my knees, elbows and back felt as though they were on fire, they hurt so badly.

Sunday, I went back to gluten-free and by Tuesday morning, I felt awesome, once again.

Just something to ponder, as you drudge through your Friday towards the weekend.

Now quick... minimize the screen... your boss is coming.

Happy Friday.
    Keep being awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543

by the way....you're hilarious.