What's up with all the rude sarcastic people here?

Options

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Low self esteem? People who feel good about themselves generally don't feel the need to put others down.
    But when you are reading typed words, it's hard to read someone's "tone". Sometimes folks take things the wrong way when rudeness wasn't intended.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't fear anonymous people posting anonymously on a free website. and you shouldn't be afraid to tell idiots to go jump in a volcano. nothing you write here goes down on your permanent record. i promise. :)
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fortunately there is the ignore user option in the drop down arrow under their name... :bigsmile:
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    There's a function to the forums where you can SEARCH recent posts and get 99.9% of the questions answered but people refuse or are too lazy to use the search function, therefore, the same questions get asked over and over and over and over and over again so yeah, sometimes it's annoying to people who have been around a while and they tend to reply with sarcasm...usually not intentionally being rude, just being silly.

There ARE a few trolls though that will be rude just to be rude and they even go so far as starting threads & asking questions they KNOW will get a rise out of people...just to start *kitten*.

Shocker hu? It's the internet after all.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    They're hungry. Or "hangry" :)

Exactly!
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    I may not be the brightest peeble on the beach, but I'm lucky enough to have an excellent group of MFP friends to assist me when I don't understand some term or description, I know we have the delete button , but it's a pity we don't have an "ignore", don't get me wrong if someone has any constructive critism I'm always willing to take them on board.

By the way I'm still enjoying the journey, feel free to add.....

:drinker:

p.sthanks "maleva720" I've found that ignore button now.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Most of the perceived "rudeness" on here comes from people who are overly sensitive to the point of thinking that someone correcting their information or calling them out for posting false information is "rude." Ironically, it's usually these same people that resort to name-calling (using terms like meathead, etc.), making posts like this complaining about it with no details provided so we can see if someone was actually being rude, etc. instead of actually debating the points brought up by others. It's unusual that you get actual name-calling or legitimate attacks from people on here. If you can't deal with someone disagreeing with your points without holding your hand, it's time to get off the internet. MFP is the nicest forum I've ever seen, by far. God help these people if they end up elsewhere.

Most of the sarcasm here is meant to be in good fun also. Rarely is it an attack either. Perception is everything. If everything you see seems like an "attack," then it's likely not the people posting that's the problem...
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about? Nobody on the internet is rude, nor sarcastic.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What you're viewing as rude, is probably someone being right and you having a different opinion on it.

And sarcasm? Well, that's just the air of awesomeness blowing in your hair.

so, basically you're saying, the vast majority of the time she thinks someone is being rude, she's just wrong. her opinion is wrong. her OPINION of rude is wrong? she can't possibly be her own judge of what's rude. she's just wrong whenever she senses rudeness. how can that be, when everyone is right on this forum? all the time. seriously, if you read these threads, everyone is a total expert. i'm quite sure of it.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Most of the perceived "rudeness" on here comes from people who are overly sensitive to the point of thinking that someone correcting their information or calling them out for posting false information is "rude." Ironically, it's usually these same people that resort to name-calling (using terms like meathead, etc.), making posts like this complaining about it with no details provided so we can see if someone was actually being rude, etc. instead of actually debating the points brought up by others. It's unusual that you get actual name-calling or legitimate attacks from people on here. If you can't deal with someone disagreeing with your points without holding your hand, it's time to get off the internet. MFP is the nicest forum I've ever seen, by far. God help these people if they end up elsewhere.

Most of the sarcasm here is meant to be in good fun also. Rarely is it an attack either. Perception is everything. If everything you see seems like an "attack," then it's likely not the people posting that's the problem...

I can see someone people joking around & having fun & that's all well & good. Nothing wrong with debates either. But, I have also seen people ask questions & get sarcastic unhelpful replies or people just being straight up rude. That's what I'm referring too.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Om my lord, you really let random internet strangers bother you enough to start a thread about it? Ive had some truly nasty things said to me on here (admittedly by a total nutter!) but did I let it get to me, hell no!! I couldn't give a stuff about her opinion, it meant less than nothing to me...I didn't know her from adam and she knew nothing about me or my life, so her post was just drivel. It's the internet and people will give an opinion, some people are sarcastic, some think they are being funny, some and blunt but thats life, it isn't always pink fluffiness and rainbows even in MFP land.

Also I have to agree the search function is there for a reason. Because it works, and you can pretty much be guaranteed to find the answer to your question there. You have to admit the same questions such as 'How often do you weigh yourself' do get a little dull after a while!.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Well said.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Om my lord, you really let random internet strangers bother you enough to start a thread about it? Ive had some truly nasty things said to me on here (admittedly by a total nutter!) but did I let it get to me, hell no!! I couldn't give a stuff about her opinion, it meant less than nothing to me...I didn't know her from adam and she knew nothing about me or my life, so her post was just drivel. It's the internet and people will give an opinion, some people are sarcastic, some think they are being funny, some and blunt but thats life, it isn't always pink fluffiness and rainbows even in MFP land.

Also I have to agree the search function is there for a reason. Because it works, and you can pretty much be guaranteed to find the answer to your question there. You have to admit the same questions such as 'How often do you weigh yourself' do get a little dull after a while!.

If I see something that bothers me I see nothing wrong with saying something.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    any one that think the MFP boards are full of mean and rude people should really spend a couple of hours on the 4chan boards.
  • jesz124
    Options
    Oh just to add to the OP, I am jealous of you, you are far too pretty!! lol
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It's not just here. There are rude people everywhere. In fact, sometimes I find myself being rude to people I really care about and not even realizing it until the damage is done. Sometimes people think they are funny and entertaining, and sometimes they think tough love is what they can offer. Or, sometimes they just are annoyed and want to let it out and they don't care what happens.

Don't worry about the people that you don't like. Find the people you do like and put them on your friends list. Read your home page every day for those awesome people that "get" you.
  • jesz124
    Options

If I see something that bothers me I see nothing wrong with saying something.

No, I'm not saying theres anything wrong with you voicing your opinion, not at all, just to not let it bother you so much. It's easy to misjudge the way someone is saying something over the net.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Very well stated.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    There is a difference bewtween being sarcastic and being rude. I'm a pretty sarcastic person, but I never intentionally be rude to anyone for any reason. Some people are just rude...that's a part of life. You just don't acknowlede them and eventually they'll get bored! As for sarcasm...it's my favorite :)

Sarcasm comes across as rude on the computer. After all we can't hear your voice or see your facial experssions(even with the Smiley tags) so for the most part it's rudeness not sarcasm.
  • jesz124
    Options
    It's not just here. There are rude people everywhere. In fact, sometimes I find myself being rude to people I really care about and not even realizing it until the damage is done. Sometimes people think they are funny and entertaining, and sometimes they think tough love is what they can offer. Or, sometimes they just are annoyed and want to let it out and they don't care what happens.

Don't worry about the people that you don't like. Find the people you do like and put them on your friends list. Read your home page every day for those awesome people that "get" you.

Totally, agreed, I have awesome people who have similar goals and humour to me on my friends list, I vent on my page rather than the threads, I find it much safer :laugh: