What's up with all the rude sarcastic people here?

Options

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! It will really help solve the problem!

Mmmm... can we spell the already incorrectly spelled "pwned" correctly in future iterations of this graphic?

Sincerely,

Grammar Nazi

Pwnt is acceptable for the past tense.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sarcasm comes across as rude on the computer. After all we can't hear your voice or see your facial experssions(even with the Smiley tags) so for the most part it's rudeness not sarcasm.

That and communication amongst a group tends toward memes on the internet over time. Not just photo memes; most arguments and observations over time are broken down into some sort of meme. With communication evolving this way amongst a group, noobs and casual observers often find this type of communication undecipherable (you need a working knowledge of past arguments to decode it) and tend to be overly insulted and sensitive about it. Those that are expecially prone are those that haven't been exposed to much in the way of meme communication, older folks and message board noobs especially.

Meme communication is an organic process that really can't be stopped, all online discussion groups tend toward it. Noobs and casual observers might not like it, but it is what it is. It is the nature of the internet.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    They're hungry. Or "hangry":)

lol that's what I was going to say too! There are a lot of food addicts going through withdrawals here....makes for lots o crabasses :wink:

Apparently so. And I'm often not the one who is dealing with people's comments. I just notice it a lot on other people's posts. But, hey I'm going to drop it. I thank those who understand where I'm coming from. I said how I felt & that's that. Carry on doing whatever it is that makes you feel good about yourselves.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What you're viewing as rude, is probably someone being right and you having a different opinion on it.

And sarcasm? Well, that's just the air of awesomeness blowing in your hair.

so, basically you're saying, the vast majority of the time she thinks someone is being rude, she's just wrong. her opinion is wrong. her OPINION of rude is wrong? she can't possibly be her own judge of what's rude. she's just wrong whenever she senses rudeness. how can that be, when everyone is right on this forum? all the time. seriously, if you read these threads, everyone is a total expert. i'm quite sure of it.

Oh, she can certainly be her own judge of what she perceives as rude, although rudeness typically lies in the speaker's intent. But then if she is going to post about it, she subjects herself to any and all answers to the original question.

On this forum, there are constant complaints about people being "rude", when they're not! They're sharing information, or making a point that contradicts someone else's point of view. That's not rude.

Check out what PregosaurusRex said. She's put it much more eloquently than I ever would.

And just for the record, I am always right. :bigsmile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... can we spell the already incorrectly spelled "pwned" correctly in future iterations of this graphic?

Sincerely,

Grammar Nazi

the url was correct. they just have image sharing disabled. clearly they don't know the internet is serious business.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1. They never have to see you or anyone you know so they ... well, WE, do not feel the need to sugar coat everything.
    2. After months of seeing the SAME questions over and over... ones that have been answered just moments ago even... we get annoyed.
    3. Sarcasm translates poorly online, but we all still go for it anyway.
    4. VERY few people actually hate one another here, we are far more catty and sarcastic.

Overall, everyone wants everyone else to succeed. But far too often we get some newbie strolling in (that hasn't lost a pound ever) trying to tell everyone here (whom have lost weight, some significantly so) that THEY are the wrong ones. That grinds gears.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Where do some of you live where everyone is nice and helpful?
    I ask because I am raising an army and I would like to know who to take over first. Easy pickings you know.

Best Regards,
    Your future leader and dictator.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    There's a function to the forums where you can SEARCH recent posts and get 99.9% of the questions answered but people refuse or are too lazy to use the search function, therefore, the same questions get asked over and over and over and over and over again so yeah, sometimes it's annoying to people who have been around a while and they tend to reply with sarcasm...usually not intentionally being rude, just being silly.

SEARCH: Rude, Mean... just in the past couple months.. There's more but I got bored.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/670933-i-can-t-believe-how-rude-mean-some-people-are?hl=rude+mean&page=3#posts-9801758
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/451536-rude-people?hl=rude+people
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/402439-rude-people?hl=rude+people

Look there's even a SOLUTION to your problems:)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/451798-solution-to-rude-people-in-the-forums?hl=rude+people

Some people think that everyone here has come for the sole purpose to calculate BMR's for other people, tell other people what to eat, how to set their macros, what macros even are, whats TDEE, whats BMR, why they aren't losing weight...over and over again. Oh heaven forbid you try to be nice and direct them to the helpful search feature..then you're rude.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I love these threads where no specific examples are given so that other readers can determine if you're reading true "rudeness" or just an overly sensitive person who got their feelings hurt because someone disagreed with you (which is usually the case).
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Sarcasm is how I communicate.

That said, I'm only rude if I have to be. The two are not mutually inclusive.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I love these threads...they bring out my people.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

lol that's what I was going to say too! There are a lot of food addicts going through withdrawals here....makes for lots o crabasses :wink:

Apparently so. And I'm often not the one who is dealing with people's comments. I just notice it a lot on other people's posts. But, hey I'm going to drop it. I thank those who understand where I'm coming from. I said how I felt & that's that. Carry on doing whatever it is that makes you feel good about yourselves.

Oh yeah thats right, start a s*itstorm and just leave when not everyone agrees with you hahaha. That was humour and sarcasm rolled into one there btw. :bigsmile:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Look there's even a SOLUTION to your problems:)

Yes there is....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=answers
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Some people think that everyone here has come for the sole purpose to calculate BMR's for other people, tell other people what to eat, how to set their macros, what macros even are, whats TDEE, whats BMR, why they aren't losing weight...over and over again. Oh heaven forbid you try to be nice and direct them to the helpful search feature..then you're rude.

I would find that helpful, not rude.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I definitely come across as rude sometimes because I forget that people don't know me and don't know my sense of humor and can't read my tone. I'm also very expressive with my face and hands when I communicate (Italian bloodline), which obviously doesn't come through the internet.

Or maybe I am just one of the bad people on the internet.

*waves hands expressively*
  • DJ2120
    Options

Oh yeah thats right, start a s*itstorm and just leave when not everyone agrees with you hahaha. That was humour and sarcasm rolled into one there btw. :bigsmile:

I'm still here, I'm just going to agree to disagree because everyone has their own perceptions.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Most of the perceived "rudeness" on here comes from people who are overly sensitive to the point of thinking that someone correcting their information or calling them out for posting false information is "rude." Ironically, it's usually these same people that resort to name-calling (using terms like meathead, etc.), making posts like this complaining about it with no details provided so we can see if someone was actually being rude, etc. instead of actually debating the points brought up by others. It's unusual that you get actual name-calling or legitimate attacks from people on here. If you can't deal with someone disagreeing with your points without holding your hand, it's time to get off the internet. MFP is the nicest forum I've ever seen, by far. God help these people if they end up elsewhere.

Most of the sarcasm here is meant to be in good fun also. Rarely is it an attack either. Perception is everything. If everything you see seems like an "attack," then it's likely not the people posting that's the problem...

I can see someone people joking around & having fun & that's all well & good. Nothing wrong with debates either. But, I have also seen people ask questions & get sarcastic unhelpful replies or people just being straight up rude. That's what I'm referring too.

You are 100% right. I don't care what other people think about me or say about me. I am confident enough that it rolls off easy. But there are MANY people on MFP who make fun of people for asking questions that might seem stupid, or who call people fat/ugly/blob. That's just plain inappropriate in a SUPPORT group. I have personally had someone tell me that I am idiot for something that I said on a post about health and nutrition despite the fact that I am well-respected in my HEALTH profession and was presenting scientific research that is well-accepted to help another person understand a problem they were having trouble with. They have a right to their opinion. They, btw, were a cashier. (I'm not picking on her for being a cashier, just pointing out the obvious discrepancy in health education background). So you just have to remember that everybody has an opinion and they have a right to that opinion no matter how boorish or unfounded that opinion might be.

My suggestion to you is to gather a good group of MFP friends and use them when you have questions. Or be very specific about what you need/want in your posts. Give a lot of details and a lot of background. And definitely, when someone is being straight up out of line -- name calling, etc.-- don't be afraid to report their post and click "ignore user". Those options are there to protect you.

I also think it's okay to call people out on it. Very specifically. In the thread, I will call someone out for being a jerk if I think they need to be told.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i keep reading all of these responses about liking to be sarcastic.

sarcasm works because it is delivered with a specific tone of voice. sarcasm is all about timing and delivery. it is a spoken art and it is lost in plain text. the only person who is reading the line the way you hear it in your head is you (unless you add icons or additional text to imply your sarcasm). this is why people get upset and why the humor of sarcasm is lost on many people in these forums, and why so many posts are perceived as rude.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Where do some of you live where everyone is nice and helpful?
    I ask because I am raising an army and I would like to know who to take over first. Easy pickings you know.

Best Regards,
    Your future leader and dictator.

*nose laugh*
    Awesome post. LOL.......
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Let me know how resolving this problem goes.

In the meantime, there are dead horses to be beaten.

Oh wait.