What's up with all the rude sarcastic people here?

Options

Replies

• DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Most of the perceived "rudeness" on here comes from people who are overly sensitive to the point of thinking that someone correcting their information or calling them out for posting false information is "rude." Ironically, it's usually these same people that resort to name-calling (using terms like meathead, etc.), making posts like this complaining about it with no details provided so we can see if someone was actually being rude, etc. instead of actually debating the points brought up by others. It's unusual that you get actual name-calling or legitimate attacks from people on here. If you can't deal with someone disagreeing with your points without holding your hand, it's time to get off the internet. MFP is the nicest forum I've ever seen, by far. God help these people if they end up elsewhere.

Most of the sarcasm here is meant to be in good fun also. Rarely is it an attack either. Perception is everything. If everything you see seems like an "attack," then it's likely not the people posting that's the problem...

I can see someone people joking around & having fun & that's all well & good. Nothing wrong with debates either. But, I have also seen people ask questions & get sarcastic unhelpful replies or people just being straight up rude. That's what I'm referring too.

You are 100% right. I don't care what other people think about me or say about me. I am confident enough that it rolls off easy. But there are MANY people on MFP who make fun of people for asking questions that might seem stupid, or who call people fat/ugly/blob. That's just plain inappropriate in a SUPPORT group. I have personally had someone tell me that I am idiot for something that I said on a post about health and nutrition despite the fact that I am well-respected in my HEALTH profession and was presenting scientific research that is well-accepted to help another person understand a problem they were having trouble with. They have a right to their opinion. They, btw, were a cashier. So you just have to remember that everybody has an opinion and they have a right to that opinion no matter how boorish or unfounded that opinion might be.

My suggestion to you is to gather a good group of MFP friends and use them when you have questions. Or be very specific about what you need/want in your posts. Give a lot of details and a lot of background. And definitely, when someone is being straight up out of line -- name calling, etc.-- don't be afraid to report their post and click "ignore user". Those options are there to protect you.

I also think it's okay to call people out on it. Very specifically. In the thread, I will call someone out for being a jerk if I think they need to be told.

I totally agree & those are the things I'm talking about. Not suggesting someone does a search or things like that. I don't let things bother me either, especially when they are aimed at me. I'm the type that if someone is talking smack on the internet & I see that they live close to me, I'll tell them to let me know a time & place & I'll meet with them face to face so they can say it to me. I'm a tough cookie, I've been through more in my life than anyone could imagine. So, when I see something that bothers me I will speak up.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i keep reading all of these responses about liking to be sarcastic.

sarcasm works because it is delivered with a specific tone of voice. sarcasm is all about timing and delivery. it is a spoken art and it is lost in plain text. the only person who is reading the line the way you hear it in your head is you (unless you add icons or additional text to imply your sarcasm). this is why people get upset and why the humor of sarcasm is lost on many people in these forums, and why so many posts are perceived as rude.

OK simple anwser, we need a sarcasm smiley. Problem solved!!!
  • uhhuthatsright
    uhhuthatsright Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You know what I think about when people are being rude ? (Esp. to newcomers finding their way around) It's was that worth it? Was the giggle ,or the feeling of making a point, or the feeling of being right or winning worth it?

Because sometimes the cost is running someone off. Having them feel bad about themselves. Or quitting mfp. Let's make people feel welcome. Let's help them get healthy.

Is "its the internet everyone does it " really a justification for acting badly. That's akin to the just following orders defense.

I challenge everyone to be better than that. Show us your humor & cleverness. Be funny with out being a bully. It's not as easy . But we will all be impressed!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Most of the perceived "rudeness" on here comes from people who are overly sensitive to the point of thinking that someone correcting their information or calling them out for posting false information is "rude." Ironically, it's usually these same people that resort to name-calling (using terms like meathead, etc.), making posts like this complaining about it with no details provided so we can see if someone was actually being rude, etc. instead of actually debating the points brought up by others. It's unusual that you get actual name-calling or legitimate attacks from people on here. If you can't deal with someone disagreeing with your points without holding your hand, it's time to get off the internet. MFP is the nicest forum I've ever seen, by far. God help these people if they end up elsewhere.

Most of the sarcasm here is meant to be in good fun also. Rarely is it an attack either. Perception is everything. If everything you see seems like an "attack," then it's likely not the people posting that's the problem...

I can see someone people joking around & having fun & that's all well & good. Nothing wrong with debates either. But, I have also seen people ask questions & get sarcastic unhelpful replies or people just being straight up rude. That's what I'm referring too.

You are 100% right. I don't care what other people think about me or say about me. I am confident enough that it rolls off easy. But there are MANY people on MFP who make fun of people for asking questions that might seem stupid, or who call people fat/ugly/blob. That's just plain inappropriate in a SUPPORT group. I have personally had someone tell me that I am idiot for something that I said on a post about health and nutrition despite the fact that I am well-respected in my HEALTH profession and was presenting scientific research that is well-accepted to help another person understand a problem they were having trouble with. They have a right to their opinion. They, btw, were a cashier. So you just have to remember that everybody has an opinion and they have a right to that opinion no matter how boorish or unfounded that opinion might be.

My suggestion to you is to gather a good group of MFP friends and use them when you have questions. Or be very specific about what you need/want in your posts. Give a lot of details and a lot of background. And definitely, when someone is being straight up out of line -- name calling, etc.-- don't be afraid to report their post and click "ignore user". Those options are there to protect you.

I also think it's okay to call people out on it. Very specifically. In the thread, I will call someone out for being a jerk if I think they need to be told.

I totally agree & those are the things I'm talking about. Not suggesting someone does a search or things like that. I don't let things bother me either, especially when they are aimed at me. I'm the type that if someone is talking smack on the internet & I see that they live close to me, I'll tell them to let me know a time & place & I'll meet with them face to face so they can say it to me. I'm a tough cookie, I've been through more in my life than anyone could imagine. So, when I see something that bothers me I will speak up.

It happens.

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it-- from one tough cookie to another.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    You know what I think about when people are being rude ? (Esp. to newcomers finding their way around) It's was that worth it? Was the giggle ,or the feeling of making a point, or the feeling of being right or winning worth it?

Because sometimes the cost is running someone off. Having them feel bad about themselves. Or quitting mfp. Let's make people feel welcome. Let's help them get healthy.

Is "its the internet everyone does it " really a justification for acting badly. That's akin to the just following orders defense.

I challenge everyone to be better than that. Show us your humor & cleverness. Be funny with out being a bully. It's not as easy . But we will all be impressed!

Love this!!!!!
  • DJ2120
    Options

It happens.

Put on your big girl panties and deal with it-- from one tough cookie to another.

That's why I brought it up.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    Because you hoped to do what about it?
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I get more annoyed about the people who post things asking for help/advice and then bash the people who answer them. If you just want to vent, say so upfront and don't belittle the people who are trying to help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Too bad the "ignore" function is broken.....:grumble: These threads are always good for finding more to add to my list.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Awww, buttercup! :flowerforyou:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    It's the internet.

This.

People have different opinions of what behavior is appropriate and what isn't. Some people get hurt too easily some don't. How to fix it? Take what you need and want, leave the rest.

How to just give it more popularity? Post a thread about it.
  • DJ2120
    Options

To tell people they don't need to be mean to people who genuinely want help. People will continue doing whatever they do, but I felt like saying something. So I did.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Please specifically point out where ANYONE has called someone fat/ugly/blob? I'd really like to see that. I've never seen it. I have, however, seen fit people be called manly, gross, bony, anorexic, "hey go eat a cheeseburger," etc. MANY times on here by people who claim to be "accepting." If someone really is calling someone else fat/ugly/blob, then yes, they should be called out. No question about that. It IS inappropriate here.

Also, just because you're a well-respected member of the medical community doesn't mean you're right. You still have to base your knowledge in science and facts, not just heresay or what some professor or doctor told you in a classroom. That cashier may just have been right, and you very well could've been wrong. Your profession has nothing to do with what you know if you can't prove your case. Appealing to authority is a form of logical fallacy.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm not good with advice. Might I interest you in a sarcastic remark? :P
  • auntdeedee87
    Options

To tell people they don't need to be mean to people who genuinely want help. People will continue doing whatever they do, but I felt like saying something. So I did.

Well thank you, Gandhi.

And hey, welcome to the Internet.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options

YoujustquotedChandlerBingcanwepleasebebestfriendsnow?!
  • DJ2120
    Options

Well thank you, Gandhi.

And hey, welcome to the Internet.

Gandhi, that's a new one
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

YoujustquotedChandlerBingcanwepleasebebestfriendsnow?!

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Not to derail the thread but OP...shouldn't you be out somewhere in a bikini or something? I'm not doing so badly but if I looked like you I wouldn't be worried about who was being mean to strangers on the internet. I would be half naked. Or completely naked someplace where many people would see. You look amazing.

sigh...its a wonder my parents kept me off the pole.

Carry on.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Those stupid stupid cashiers..... *rolls eyes* How ironic.