Has anyone else quit drinking alcohol completely?

Options
I just recently made this decision after reading a wonderful book (How to Stop Drinking the Easy Way by Allen Carr if anyone is interested). It really opened my eyes to my drinking and made me see things in a different light. I had my last drinks Saturday and I am looking forward to getting healthy. I've been drinking heavily pretty much since my college days (I am 38 now) with the exception of my three pregnancies (which is also the only times I've actually lost weight in the past 10 years because I've stopped drinking...mostly anyway). I have tried cutting back but it never sticks (sometimes not even past that day when I decided to cut back). Clearly I'm not someone who does moderation well and it was hurting my health, my finances, and most importantly I wasnt there as much as I wanted to be or should be for my three young children. I was there physically but often I was counting the minutes until bedtime so I could drink more, didn't do as much as I should with them because I wanted to stay home and drink, etc.

I'm only a few days into this journey but with the help of the book it already feels different. Gone is the anxious feeling I usually have when I am trying to abstain. I'm not saying I don't think about having a drink but it's a fleeting thought right now and I realize I'd like not to have a drink more than I would like to have one. I credit the book for this change in thinking. I'm not sure how he does it but it works. So, far I feel really, really good and I'm enjoying myself much more and finding I have much more time on my hands than usual (I guess that is what happens when you don't spend every night sloshed every morning fighting the slight hangover). I am sure it won't always be easy but I feel confident I can do this.

Has anyone else made this decision and been down the path? Any advice? What positive changes did you notice? Have you lost weight just from cutting the booze?

And I'd love some fellow "quitters" for friends if you want to add me! Support is always great!

Replies

• lisalovesmark20
    lisalovesmark20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    il try quit cant say it.l be easy :(
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I quit a long time ago when my young daughter started asking questions about it. I realized it was not something I wanted her to experience so I just stopped. I was not a heavy drinker but had a few beers with mexican food once in a while. There are way too many negative effects of drinking, and the benefits of quitting far outweigh the negs. God bless you, and if not for yourself, do it for your childrens sake.
  • my_username_was_taken
    Options
    I quit - last drank at a New Year's Eve party 1990. Best thing I did for myself. Congratulations on making the choice, its not an easy one - but I would not change it
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have not had a drink in over 10 years. I never truly developed a taste for it and did not like the out of control feeling of being drunk. Good luck with your new found sobriety.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yes I decide to choose a sober lifestyle. Been almost 11 months now. Dont miss it at all.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I have a beer every couple of month if out with friends but haven't had hard liquor in over 3 years.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I still occasionally have a beer when we go camping or something, but I quit drinking regularly years ago. Most of my reasons were my children and the impact it could have on me if I didn't quit.

Only word of advice I can offer: Surround yourself with supportive people.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big drinker. Just after I turned 21 you go on that I can drink now stage. I had drinks occasionally but not really since I have had kids. I don't even know when I drank last, that's how long it's been.

I know that there are a lot of calories when you drink so cutting would def help with your calorie intake.

Good luck on your new journey :)
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to drink alot. Like maybe one unit of alcohol a month. However congrats to you for quiting. I'm sure you'll expereince healthy new positive changes in your life! You can do it!
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    I seem to have inadvertently stopped. Mum will offer me a glass of wine now and again if we go there.. . and I just think of it as a waste of calories. I'd rather have chocolate. Once I looked at it in that light, I realised I don't miss it at all!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I quit completely 3/1/12. I have some suggestions for you. Also I was a very long time drinker. If you wish to talk more about this send me a friend request.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I seem to have inadvertently stopped. Mum will offer me a glass of wine now and again if we go there.. . and I just think of it as a waste of calories. I'd rather have chocolate. Once I looked at it in that light, I realised I don't miss it at all!

I still have an ocassional drink or two, but like you said, it's a waste of calories, I'd rather have chocolate too. :)
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

I still have an ocassional drink or two, but like you said, it's a waste of calories, I'd rather have chocolate too. :)
    Ditto! Just never had a taste for it. Don't miss what you never cared for. Every once in awhile my husband will ask if I want him to pick up a bottle of wine but I always say no. Just no point in it to me and now with trying to lose weight its just a waste of calories. Last time I had a glass of wine was about a year ago and it set off hot flashes so that was yet another reason to just say no all together.

Good luck with your sobriety. I wish you all the best. If its a struggle for you and you really want to do it don't be afraid to ask for help.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Back in 1994 my husband got quite ill, and gave up all alcohol. He at the time had been a heavy beer and rum drinker so I was surprised that he has never again felt any desire to drink. I was a light drinker, mostly wine and gave this up about 2 years ago. Why - because I never felt good after drinking - congestion and bladder issues mostly. Also it always seemed that when I wanted to get buzzed the alcohol did nothing and when I didn't want the buzz it went to my head or made me extremely drowsy. Now I don't miss it. I'd rather spend my calories on a piece of dark chocolate.

It get easier as time goes by. Good Luck
  • Fat_Cat_Bride
    Fat_Cat_Bride Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I haven't quit alcohol completely but it's very rare that you will see me with a drink in my hand these days. I was always a heavy drinker (stemming from my younger party days) until I noticed that the effect that alcohol had on my Mother and was having on my partner.

I didn't like who either of them were when they drank and that was my motivation to stop, I didn't want to become what I was seeing. I found that it was alot easier by not surrounding myself with people when they were drinking, which included a huge drop in my social life, but I feel much better for it.

I now only drink on special occasions.

Good luck with your journey.
  • HawtTamale
    HawtTamale Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I quit about 6 weeks ago. I was using it as an escape from my life and decided that if I'm ever going to be successful at anything I need to be "present". I don't miss the drinking, but I find I am staying away from going out because I'm afraid to put myself into a position where alcohol will be present and everyone drinking. I'm also worried about activities that I previous did that were alcohol-centric (i.e. camping, vacationing, holidays)
    I committed to doing this and I am, but I find I'm "hiding" from my life now b/c I am afraid to give in to something I've said no to. And it's not the drinking I miss, it's the "fun" that came with it. And you can say whatever you want, but it SUCKS to be the only sober one at a party. So I avoid them...but I'd like to learn how to have fun without the drinking.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i quit before i even turned 21. havent had a single sip of alcohol since either and dont care to.. im 24 now
  • jdub1011
    jdub1011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    After I got married I found that I rarely drank anymore. I concluded that I drank because where there were women there was alcohol. About four years ago I quit drinking alcolhol completely, except for a small glass of champagne at my son's wedding this summer. I still go out with people to bars and have a great time. Plus I am the "all-time" designated driver, which I don't mind. The way I look at I am saving money, not consuming empty calories and I don't miss headaches and hangovers.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've never really enjoyed drinking. I used to drink more when I was attempting to lose weight the first several times and I remember what a difficult time I had with it.. Binge eating because of it, throwing me off.. I haven't had a drink Since July 4th and that was just because of the holiday.. My son changed my life a lot. And being able to eat right, is much easier.. Plus, no empty carbs!! Or hangovers imparting my ability to work out!!!
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've pretty well completely stopped drinking after one night I drank nearly 3,000 calories without realizing it, I started to think I couldn't control it. I've felt so much better. Now, I'll allow myself something if the occasion is VERY special but it's limited and always diet. I didn't find it difficult at all, I'm sure others have. :) Good luck!