Has anyone else quit drinking alcohol completely?

Options

Replies

• HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Is it sheer coincidence, that I posted on my home page here just a few minutes ago, "NO MORE VODKA - I put my foot down!!!" I've been tracking my food religiously since I joined here, but for the most part NOT tracking my alcohol intake. Stupid move on my part. A pint of vodka in one night (either Friday or Saturday), every week, adds up to a LOT of excess calories - I think it's a bit over a 1000 calories, right? All my hard work throughout the week, undone by one night. NOT worth it. I'm stopping now! I know it will be hard, but it has to be done. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it!
  • fishifishy
    Options
    I only drink in social situations. When I go out with friends, we usually drink and then head to Mickey D's for a large amount of fries. Not good, so I've switched to only drinking diet pop when we go out.

And to put it in perspective, I go out maybe once every 4-5 months. I'm a broke university student. I'd rather buy books than booze...
  • jennahowden
    jennahowden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To the people that have gone years without it, you're so inspiring! I haven't had a drop of alcohol in almost 9 months. I'm proud =)
    I've gone out several times to parties and functions without drinking and still had a fantastic time. It's actually pretty rewarding when you see what everyone else looks like the next day lol and you feel fabulous!
    I've even had friends stay around my house for a catch up, and I've been the only one not drinking.

My reason for giving up is because my last drinking session took me a week to recover. A few weeks longer for my system to heal.
    Drinking wasn't a regular occurrence previously, only once every couple of months. But I feel great now that I've given up.

I have felt awkward about it once recently. It was at a friends engagement party. Her dad was being quite an impressive host, and was ensuring that we had gorgeous looking drinks. I felt rude for declining, but he understood my reasons.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking on a regular basis. But I doubt I will ever completely cut it out of my life.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had my last drink on 10/23/2011. It has been an amazing journey! I am sending you a friend request, as there are some things I think I can help with.
  • lm5641
    Options
    The concept of this is pure insanity. I run for beer and i cycle for whiskey. Wine i just :drinker: drink for fun.

I understand that the majority of you are answering in the affirmative bc that's true for you. However some folks (like the poster of the quote above) and myself still enjoy cocktails. That doesn't mean I'm unsympathetic to those who struggling with alcohol addiction, it just means that I save my extra calories for alcohol. Would I be healthier and lose weight faster if I quit, probably so. But do I want to, definitely not. Maybe one day I will but today is not that day.
  • kevinkalis
    Options
    What really helped me was breaking it down logically.

A) Alcohol doesn't taste all that nice
    B) I was only drinking it out of peer pressure
    C) I don't like the feeling of 'memory loss' or not being in control of all my faculties
    D) I hate being hungover

A and B are generally enough to stop me touching the stuff
  • Bloodredmoon
    Bloodredmoon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love craft beer, I live in San Diego, a city with over 30 craft breweries. Brewery tours and beer tastings at local pubs is a big part of our local culture. However, drinking beer is hurting my weight-loss efforts, so as of thanksgiving I have cut it and all other alcohol out of my diet. I don't have a drinking problem, as in getting too drunk too often type of thing, my issue is with the extra calories. I figure, it's not going anywhere right? I'm sure I'll imbibe some champagne on New Years, but other than that I plan to stay away from it 95% of the time while I work on reaching my goal weight. So far, even though it's only been a couple weeks, I don't really miss it. It'll be worth turning down friends for beer tasting parties and tours for a few months.
  • Rachel2854
    Rachel2854 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have recently quit completely after 12 months of drinking on and off, 11 years of drinking most days, I had a health scare after a particularly heavy week in Ibiza and decided that I simply couldn't face the rest of my life feeling like crap.

I've seen all levels of drinking from teetotal friends to relatives dying of alcoholism but I never considered my drinking to be excessive, even coming in from a night shift and having 3 cans of cider at 6am!

The thing that has surprised me the most is the pure mental clarity and motivation that I now have, weekends are actually 2 days long instead of 1 day then hangover recovery and I'm sure the lack of post bevvy doner meat has helped with my weight loss.

I also read the Allan Carr book a few years ago with little success but something really clicked with me after reading Kick the drink easily by Jason Vale, there's some really good advice in there about dealing with societys view on non drinkers.

Good luck to anyone thinking of stopping, it's a great feeling :D
  • supermommie123
    Options
    I think there are quite a few replies on here from people that have been lucky they have never really been big drinkers and have given up anyway and it being no big deal. However there are others who have been heavier drinkers and no doubt more reliant on alcohol and have found it much tougher to give up.

I am what you would call a binge drinker, can go all week without a drink, but once I have one, I want to get drunk and find it difficult to stop. I have a fairly active social life with friends who all enjoy a drink, most not as much as me. I struggle to enjoy myself on a night out without a drink, but if I have an important golf match coming up I won't touch a drop.

I would love to give up completely as I know the weight would drop off me, but I don't want to give up completely if that makes sense?? As I enjoy it and want my fun time!

Anybody similar please add me maybe we can help each other drink more sensibly!

I'm sorta with you...I don't binge drink, but I drink. Every night. I would like to stop, but can't. I've tried, but without the help of medication (Campral) I'm unable to. I'd love the support to get help and not do it. But maybe with the support of everyone here and each other we can get further than on our own?
  • sara6795
    sara6795 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have also made the decision to stop drinking. Mostly, I see alcohol as excessive calories that aren't worth blowing all the hard work I am doing to get healthy. I am living in a "college town," so the nightlife is definitely entertaining around here. Unfortunately, my friends (and boyfriend) use going out to the bar as a way of getting together, so it has been challenging to just get a glass of water while everybody else is drinking alcohol. However, it is nice not having to worry about having a DD :smile:
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have, when I realized how many calories are in my favorite drinks. Johnny Bootlegger's are my favorite, and when I drink, I can easily go through 6-10 of them. Then I found out they are 150 cals EACH. I'm not opposed to drinking a glass of wine with dinner or whatever, but since I started trying to lose weight, I've yet to have a drink for the sheer fear of the calories.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I was forced to quit cold turkey. and I could drink, 3 fifth bottles of jack a month, 2 or 3 18 packs of Heineken, some vodka here and there. then, I got pregnant, and stopped for a year and a half. tried to have a margarita for my anniversary, and couldn't drink it. I wish I waited for kids, but she was the best thing to ever happen. feel so much better now that I don't drink anymore. good luck on your journy
  • quitter1973
    quitter1973 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just quit 28 days ago. I've tried before but this time I've really made it work. I think the whole healthy lifestyle thing is what is keeping me clean. Oh btw I've lost like 4 lbs this past month!
  • Jen2Bfit
    Jen2Bfit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Alcohol had way too much impact on my life and I was getting nowhere fast. Since I have stopped, I also quit smoking 4 years ago, went back to school and became a nurse, and the past few years have been concentrating on health and fitness. You are making a very wise choice. There are no real health benefits to drinking, and if it is interfering with your everyday living then it is most definitely time to make a change. Best of luck, and remember, anything is possible. :happy:
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just recently made this decision after reading a wonderful book (How to Stop Drinking the Easy Way by Allen Carr if anyone is interested). It really opened my eyes to my drinking and made me see things in a different light. I had my last drinks Saturday and I am looking forward to getting healthy. I've been drinking heavily pretty much since my college days (I am 38 now) with the exception of my three pregnancies (which is also the only times I've actually lost weight in the past 10 years because I've stopped drinking...mostly anyway). I have tried cutting back but it never sticks (sometimes not even past that day when I decided to cut back). Clearly I'm not someone who does moderation well and it was hurting my health, my finances, and most importantly I wasnt there as much as I wanted to be or should be for my three young children. I was there physically but often I was counting the minutes until bedtime so I could drink more, didn't do as much as I should with them because I wanted to stay home and drink, etc.

I'm only a few days into this journey but with the help of the book it already feels different. Gone is the anxious feeling I usually have when I am trying to abstain. I'm not saying I don't think about having a drink but it's a fleeting thought right now and I realize I'd like not to have a drink more than I would like to have one. I credit the book for this change in thinking. I'm not sure how he does it but it works. So, far I feel really, really good and I'm enjoying myself much more and finding I have much more time on my hands than usual (I guess that is what happens when you don't spend every night sloshed every morning fighting the slight hangover). I am sure it won't always be easy but I feel confident I can do this.

Has anyone else made this decision and been down the path? Any advice? What positive changes did you notice? Have you lost weight just from cutting the booze?

And I'd love some fellow "quitters" for friends if you want to add me! Support is always great!

I've only just found this thread. I hope you're still doing well. Your story is very similar to mine. I cut out alcohol completely early last year (2012), lost some weight and felt great. Then it slipped back into my daily life and I gained weight again. I cut it out again ("for Lent" for anyone who asked) three weeks ago and feel wonderful. I too feel more present for my family and have so much more energy. Thanks for your honest post.
  • JuliaGulia99
    Options
    I've just discovered your story and I have to tell you, I'm touched by your honesty. My life sounds very similar to yours. I drank for about twenty years but stopped nine days ago. I'm thirty nine and this isn't my first time trying to quit. I feel stronger this time though and am starting counseling. I too got very tired of my head throbbing and not having enough energy to face the day fully. I'm staying away from alcohol for my health, family( I have two daughters), and peace of mind. I've already started losing weight and have much more energy. Like you, I'm finding that I have much more time now for things I want to do. I know this is a late response but I would love to know how you are doing now. Your words inspired me so much at a fragile time in my life when I needed it. Thank you so much. It's good to know I'm not by myself on this journey. I hope you are still doing well and staying strong. I would love to hear your tips and advice on how you stayed away from drinking. I know firsthand how hard a habit it is to break after doing it for so many years. I still have anxiety about it even though I know I'm making the right choice. Thanks so much for sharing your story and I hope to hear how you're doing presently:)
  • TeamDale54
    Options
    Took my last drink 2-12-1984. Thanks to AA I have not had a drink since. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was never a big drinker to begin with but I don't drink anymore. I don't have the desire to and I don't want the empty calories. Good luck on your journey.
  • Sarab120
    Sarab120 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat my calories than drink them. I stopped drinking 4 years ago and never looked back.