Has anyone else quit drinking alcohol completely?

Options

Replies

• iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Never really quit drinking...it just sort of tapered off over the years and I'm now at the point of having maybe a few drinks a year and almost never 2 in the same night.
    I just don't have the time or energy to give to alcohol. My body and mind are both better off.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Is this even a serious question? Has to be a troll post. I work hard to earn those drinking calories. i think it makes the booze taste better when it's earned!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    For those of you that are struggling with quitting drinking, please get help.

http://www.aa.org
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say to those of you making flippant remarks in this thread and not taking this OP seriously... Go F@#% yourselves! How disgusting to come into a thread like this where people are writing about battling problem drinking & even alcoholism. Makes me insanely livid!!
  • JenKillough
    Options
    Same to the AA is the only way posters. How condescending to other more intelligent human brains.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Just endorsing the Allen Carr way (helped me with the smokes).

Good luck to anyone who needs help quitting what isn't good for them, whatever it is.
  • JenKillough
    Options
    Good luck to anyone who needs help quitting what isn't good for them, whatever it is.

And the key there is: "what isn't good for them"

Anybody coming in here to throw around your immature, careless and thoughtless remarks... think twice. People die every day because of alcoholism. You never know who is struggling. Some of the people posting here are probably not even admitting the extent of their own problem. My mom DIED because of alcoholism. Don't you dare come in here tossing around your flippant comments at people in the face of their addictions.
  • enolan119
    enolan119 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I congratulate you on your decision to stop drinking.

I was a problem drinker (so bad I was blacking out every night for about 5 years) in my early 30s. I stopped 3 1/2 years ago and I am so glad I did. It was a start at a new life for me. I started walking every day (maybe 2 miles) and lost 20 pounds over a couple of months. I have not read the book you mentioned but I joined AA instead. For me, AA has been a great deal of help and support. AA is not for everyone. I take the parts that work for me and leave the rest. I have made many wonderful friends in AA and have come to realize that the drinking was just a symptom of many larger issues, which I won't get into here.

Send me a friend request if you would like to discuss. I congratulate you on your decision to stop drinking. Use whatever method you feel works best for you.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    Anybody coming in here to throw around your immature, careless and thoughtless remarks... think twice. People die every day because of alcoholism. You never know who is struggling. Some of the people posting here are probably not even admitting the extent of their own problem. My mom DIED because of alcoholism. Don't you dare come in here tossing around your flippant comments at people in the face of their addictions.
    [/quote]

right on sister!! :flowerforyou:
  • amenda04
    amenda04 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @Staceyann... I am not a mom or a drinker, but I am the daughter of an alcoholic (two, actually). I am sincerely glad that you are quitting before it become a big problem in your family dynamic. I know you don't want to let alcohol destroy your life and that's why you're taking control. :) So happy about that!

If you (or any parent reading this) ever struggle with wanting to go back to bad habits in the future that could lead to worse habits, think about this: Think about the possibity of you accidentally losing control and spiraling down to rock bottom. Imagine the impact that will have on your kids. How much that would hurt them. How it would hurt your family and friends. And how it would hurt you. Ask yourself if you want your kids to see you experience any of the following:

-glazed eyes
    -slurred speech
    -stumbling and falling down, in home and in public
    -intense mood swings
    -abuse (verbal, emotional, physical)
    -incontinence
    -passing out on the couch
    -body odor
    -rotting teeth
    -sour breath
    -broken promises over and over again
    -legal problems related to your alcoholism, including rehab, probation, and prison
    -hallucinations and violent sickness due to withdrawals and delirium tremens (these are particularly awful to watch your mom go through)
    -poor memory
    -loss of cognitive skills even when sober
    -force your kids into taking on adult responsibilities such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, caring for the younger siblings, etc.

Nobody ever wants to let things get that far out of control, but when you're giving up your senses and body and mind to alcohol, you ARE giving up control, whether you realize it or not or want to admit it or not. Alcohol not only affects the drinker, it affects the whole family.

My mom never meant for her life to get out of control, but in the 17 years after she started drinking after her kids went to bed, she's experienced all of the above herself and more and I have watched her go through all of it. I lost my real mom when I was only 9 or 10 years old, and thereafter, she was the alcohol. She wasn't a bad person before she became an alcoholic. She's still not a bad person...she's just made some really awful decisions. She was a responsible mother before the drinking got out of control. I don't know what made her turn to alcohol. She's sober now, supposedly (I live 12 hours away from any of my family now, mainly to get away from the dysfunction). I know the guilt for what she put us through for the past 17 years eats at her every single day. She told me it does. And I think that guilt is what made it so hard for her to quit so many times...she just didn't want to come back to the surface to face what she did. At this point, I hope for the best but always expect the worst. Do you ever want your kids to have this attitude towards you? Do you want your kids to be in therapy every week as adults trying to figure out how to cope and figure out how live like a functional adult because the example you set for them only taught them how to be dysfunctional? In some ways, I still feel like a scared 10 year old who only wants her mom to sing her to sleep on her lap. You know, for things to just be okay. Like I said, she's sober now, but our relationship is very weak and I often find myself wishing I had a mom, because she sure doesn't feel like my mom. I've taken care of her more than she has of me.

I know this cautionary tale is a scare tactic. But I do wish some other kids used this on my mom before she started drinking out of control. I guess I'm posting this for your kids.

I do wish you the best of luck and hope that you and any other parent or person struggling with alcohol reading this can seek help to get better, whether they are a full blown alcoholic or just realizing that they drink too much. Just because you drink doesn't mean things will get as bad as it got for my family, but are you willing to risk it?

Best wishes!!!!!!!!!

This!!!! Unfortunately, I was the parent in this scenerio. It's almost been a year since I've had a drink and IT IS hard facing reality every day with no crutch of escape. But escaping doesn't help me LIVE my life. Guess what I'm doing?!?!?!? I'm running, I've taken the obsession from drinking to living healthy. Life doesn't become amazing because I stopped drinking, but at least now I can remember it. Oh and I don't eat as much either because of the drunken munchies... Trying to keep this fitness related.:wink:
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I drank every night....vodka straight up....to go to sleep. Alcohol makes me sleepy.
    I stopped and literally got to my goal weight much faster and I looked leaner.
    Dont regret it for a moment.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: Well said. Some people really are asshats.
  • ermahampton
    Options
    I had been an alcoholic for over 12 years. I tried AA, counseling, therapy, quitting by myself. Thank God, my doctor decided to try me with Acamprosate after going to the hospital several times and detox. I bought Acamprosate here http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/acamprosate.shtml, This drug is amazing, I have not had a drop of alcohol for almost a year.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    The concept of this is pure insanity. I run for beer and i cycle for whiskey. Wine i just :drinker: drink for fun.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Sober since July 28, 2012. Best thing I've ever done for myself, ever.
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Did anyone start a group?
  • supermommie123
    Options
    I've tried many times to quit drinking, and I can't. I've tried Campral. I loved it. The website you provided...Is it legit? I would buy it again if I could from someplace reputable. I'm just afraid someplace would take my money! There are scammers everywhere. Campral is the bomb.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    congratulations to everyone that has decided alcohol is not for them.

I felt the effects of alcohol for the first time when I was nine. I got "s" faced drunk for the first time when I was 13. I finally made the choice to stop when I was 39. I've now been sober 8.5 years.

Nearly 30 years of self destructive behavior, binges, excessive parties, arrests, destroyed relationships, burnt bridges, and plenty of other drugs along the way.

Trust me, for those on these boards that are in their late teens, early 20's, etc., it isn't worth it. I can look back and say yeah, I had some good times, no doubt. But as a collective whole, in the end, it just isn't worth it all.

If anyone here wants to talk about anything related to dealing with alcoholism, please feel free to message me, friend me, etc.

@milobloom83 - please take your disrespectful posts somewhere else.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've been on the wagon since April 22, 1988. It will be twenty-five years... Regrets are no fun and if you drink enough or long enough you will have some if your soul is still redeemable.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    Is this even a serious question? Has to be a troll post. I work hard to earn those drinking calories. i think it makes the booze taste better when it's earned!

YUP!