Has anyone else quit drinking alcohol completely?

Options

Replies

• latinobarbie1208
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I am only one week sober and it is tough. I quit for a year prior to getting married. I then quit for two years (two pregnancies and nursing)...but got right back on the bottle. My 3 yr old was starting to act different when mommy and daddy would have their "coffee". I have also ALWAYS fought the beer belly, so I thought VIOLA, vodka. Well, here we are...I have flipped flopped 5 pounds for the last three weeks only to realize (I really knew all along just in denial) that the booze was packing on the weight. Just in one week off booze, I have lost the stubborn booze 5 pounds and TWO more!!!! If my kids were not motivation enough, the weight loss certainly is.

It is an incredibly hard path...as an alcoholic, I know. I have been to AA and Alanon but the demon wins everytime. I do not want my kids to be raised in the same manner I was (with alcoholic parents) and I really want to FEEL better!

Taking this plunge with ya sista!!!!

Great job on the sobriety and weight loss! I'm glad that others are posting here - wasn't sure with my first post a little while ago. I started tapering my consumption (which I know you really shouldn't do but seems to be working for me) last Wednesday. My goal is to have my very last drink tomorrow which is the same day I will finish Allen Carr's book. Alcohol has not only impacted my weight but more importantly, my health. I guess I thought I was invincible but over the last few years, my blood pressure, pulse rate, cholesterol, etc., numbers have all gone up quite a bit. I look puffy and swollen all the time and didn't realize till yesterday I was in a constant state of brain fog. Since I started the tapering process, my BP and pulse have gone back to normal ranges - I didn't think that was possible over only 5 or 6 days but it happened and that is such great motivation for me.

I started drinking more often 2 years ago and then it suddenly turned in to drinking every day, which turned in to earlier and earlier in the day. When I finally noticed at each doctor's visit (I go to the doctor quite often because I'm disabled but that's a totally different story:smile: ) that my stats were going up and up and up. I woke up when I started reading Allen Carr's book last week and I know what I HAVE to do.

Thanks in advance to anyone that will help keep me motivated and on the right path.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Been sober since 1997. Hardest thing I've ever done and a constant struggle.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hardest thing I've ever done

There is much truth in this. I can say it's one of the hardest things I've ever done as well.
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I can't give it up on the weekends but I'm really trying. I'm a weekend drinker and its damaging all my hard work.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Saturday was the last night for me. My drinking was getting out of hand.. I really hope that I can stop on my own.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I sure do hope this group is still active. I noticed there hasn't been a post for a couple of weeks. Staceyann, I am reading Allen Carr's book right now and it seems to be working. I was so skeptical when I bought the book but I'm totally sold on it now.

Please let me know if there is another group or if this one is stil lactive - I would love some support and motivation as I go through the process of becoming a non-drinker.

Thanks!

Hi there! I just accepted your friend request! This isn't a formal group although I have to say I am blown away by the support I've found through this post and by how many of us are in the same boat. It really helps to know you aren't alone and to have others with you. And yes...starting out reading the book I wasn't sold but by the end I sure was. I don't know how he does it but he really changes your thinking.

Maybe we should start an actual group since there is so much interest. I'm not sure how to do that but I could probably figure it out if there is enough interest.
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    I thought the Allen Carr book was fascinating. I got way more out of the drinking book than I did from the eating one even though food is my issue, not alcohol. I didn't drink for a period of 9 months and because I'm not a big drinker anyway I didn't miss it much. Friends and family had more of an issue with me not drinking than I did. I found that surprising - why should it bother them if I choose not to drink? I suppose it's a bit like being on a diet - it makes them question their decisions/habits.

I totally agree...I read the eating one after the drinking one and hated it. Some stuff he said made sense but a lot of it was the drinking book rehashed and didn't ring true to me when applied to food. Especially the meat part...I love meat. :)
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    I have. I also read the same book... and probably 10 more! Lol! I quit November last year. I recently had a slip. No big deal. Just getting right back on the horse. I think people quit when they are truly ready to quit. I know that sounds easier said than done... but there's a lot of "preparation" work involved in quitting a habit/addiction. It can take years sometimes. Good luck! And stick with it.... that's the most important thing.

I can recommend the following I've read: Changing For Good by Prochaska, Turnabout by Jean Kirkpatrick, Sober for Good by Anne Fletcher, Staying Sober by Gorski & Miller, and Rational Recovery by Trimpey. Another good read is Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp.

Also highly recommended: http://womenforsobriety.org/beta2/

Thank you so much for the book recommendations and the website. I'll definitely check them out. I actually read Drinking a love story many years back and LOVED it. Great book. It didn't make me stop drinking at that time but it definitely is powerful.
  • timetotoneme
    timetotoneme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also recently quit drinking. I drank for almost 20 years, starting at 14. The only other times I quit were with my three pregnancies. It's been six weeks for me now, the longest I've ever gone! It is a struggle for me, especially since I manage a bar, but every day I just remind myself how much better I feel when I'm not drinking. Feel free to friend request me! Good luck with your sober journey.
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    Saturday was the last night for me. My drinking was getting out of hand.. I really hope that I can stop on my own.

Good luck to you!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support!
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    As for my own progress....I just need to keep reading the book. I have slipped a couple times (weekends get me) but each time I did I enjoyed it less while I was doing it and was angrier at myself the next day. I haven't had anything since Sunday and I'm hopefull I can continue on from here and stay on the right path.

What is going to help is that my husband is now on board and wants us to start doing Insanity at night together after the kids go to bed (this was normally our drinking time). I resisted the idea at first but now I'm excited and I think it can only help. Day one begins tonight!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I was sober 10 years on August 28. Best decision I ever made, but still miss a glass of wine with dinner occasionally. Friend me if you need support. I work in our Drug Court and share my story regularly with clients who are struggling.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I quit a long time ago when my young daughter started asking questions about it. I realized it was not something I wanted her to experience so I just stopped. I was not a heavy drinker but had a few beers with mexican food once in a while. There are way too many negative effects of drinking, and the benefits of quitting far outweigh the negs. God bless you, and if not for yourself, do it for your childrens sake.

Exactly what are the negative effects of having 1-3 drinks (i.e. a few) "once in a while?" Can you point me to research showing the detrimental effects of this type of drinking?

Edited to say: I'm not advocating heavy drinking, nor am I saying everyone should drink, but the sort of blanket statement this commenter made quite frankly makes no sense. If anything there is research showing that modest alcohol consumption has neutral or even positive effects (depending on what you're drinking).
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of red wine most evenings, but that's it. One glass. An occasional beer. The more miles I run, the less I want the alcohol.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just posting this because an allen Carr book really helped me quit something- not drinking but smoking. I had quit before and gone back to it, but I read the book (my flatmate had been given it and t was lying around). That was over 10 years now.

what helped me was realising that by taking this thing out of my life, my life was going to be easier, not harder and I think that positive mental attitude was the thing that helped the most. So focussing on the ways on which your life will be easier, maybe even making a list of them and pinning it up somewhere you can see it, would be a really helpful thing.
    Like:
    1. It's easier not to have to go to the shop to get the booze. Bottles can be pretty heavy.
    2. It's easier and cheaper getting home when you haven't been drinking
    3. It' easier not to have to worry about your drink being spiked
    4. It's easier not to have to work off those calories
    5. It's easier not to get drunken blood sugar crashes and cravings and eat something really unsuitable late at night (and then work off those calories)
    6. It's a lot cheaper not to drink.
    7. It's a lot easier to be able to wake up and not worry about what you said and did the night before, because you can remember what you said and did.

And I really noticed a difference in two ways- my yoga practice got almost instantly better having plateaued for a bit and I felt the impact in my wallet pretty quick too. So look out for an increased wellness/fitness and a financial benefit with quitting drinking too and then ask yourself if you want to give those up.

Hope that helps.
  • jdressel
    jdressel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This post was far more interesting and eye opening than I expected - Thanks everyone for the honesty and experience :)

I like a weekend drink but am also the regular designated driver.....

Several times I have has soft drinks in a wine glass on nights out - soda and lime/water ect, it just feels more like a "social event drink" and I've never missed not drinking...sometimes its mind over matter - I do tend to find "bad" weeks involce alcohol ect but I enjoy a drink and at the moment am happy doing so :)

full support to people cutting it out :)
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    Nope.
  • Bethypfy
    Options
    I stopped drinking when i started my weight loss/health makeover a month ago. i also am a mother who had been drinking pretty much non stop since i was 15 (i'm 24, so 10 years almost), besides during my pregnancy. I would drink every night. it is something i would always look forward to during my day. It was hard and still is. i have had one glass of wine since i stopped and honestly it wasn't even worth it. it made me feel guilty and sick. I also quit smoking with this alcohol stop. I did notice weight come off. I think the majority of the 20lbs in 5 weeks i've lost is because of alcohol stopping. I gave myself a bed time and started to wake up early and stay up during the day (no naps) so i wouldn't be sitting at home alone thinking about drinking late at night. I had a real dependency on drinking. and i work in a wine store which does not help! but honestly its been my favorite part of my health make over along with quitting smoking! :) goodluck! i will friend you so we can talk more if youd like. i totally related to what you were saying and i think we are in a similar situation.