What is your biggest motivator?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm 21 (about to be 22 in a few months) and I'm determined to lose the weight! Growing up I've always been the chubby girl. However, when I started high school I had slimmed down from playing competitive soccer. My junior year I tore my ACL, had to have knee surgery, and was not able to run for 10 months. Since then I've had issues with my knee and my eating habits have gotten out of control. It's been 5 years and I'm sick of it; I would really love to be able to play soccer again!

I'm out of college now and I thought to myself "If I have the determination to finish school, then I definitely have the determination to lose the weight!" In the last few months I have been doing weight watchers however I've decided to try out MFP because I've heard so many great things about this site and about the supportive community. :) I'm down 26 lbs and am looking to lose about 75 more!

I'm looking for friends who will be encouraging and supportive; Ones who will help keep me motivated and I will do the same in return (: Feel free to add me!

But first, what's your biggest motivator for wanting to lost the weight?
Mine would have to be the cute clothes! I'm sick of wearing plain t-shirts and jeans. I want to be able to fit into cute dresses and shorts!

Replies

• 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to look good naked. I want feel and look equally sexy in and out of my clothes. Forty for me is a couple years away and I intend to be in the best shape of my life.

Congrats on the 26lbs and keep going you'll make that goal with such a positive attitude.
  • Beth88888
    Beth88888 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Clothes are a great motivator :)

My biggest motivator at the moment is simply to feel better, to move easier. Healthy eating clears my mind and just makes me feel happier.
  • ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Honestly... new clothes. haha i want more places to shop!
  • vcht
    vcht Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm moving overseas for my studies next year, so I just want to create a new, healthier image for myself! :bigsmile:
  • andrealeighx33
    andrealeighx33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to look good naked. I want feel and look equally sexy in and out of my clothes. Forty for me is a couple years away and I intend to be in the best shape of my life.

Congrats on the 26lbs and keep going you'll make that goal with such a positive attitude.

This is so true. I definitely will start focusing more on muscle toning after I've lost a bit more weight. And thank you! I've never stuck to anything longer than a few weeks and for the first time I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Also congratulations to you for losing 45 lbs! You're so close :)
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    Clothes are a great motivator :)

My biggest motivator at the moment is simply to feel better, to move easier. Healthy eating clears my mind and just makes me feel happier.

I totally get what you mean about moving easier. Over the past few years I've ignored how my weight makes things a lot harder. When I had lost 15 lbs I decided to pick up three 5 lbs bags of potatoes at the grocery store.. I was so shocked at how much it weighed! Haha I should go back and pick up 5 of them next time I'm there :)
  • keera988
    Options
    i gotta say, change is my biggest motivator. There's a point where all that denial eventually twitches nerves in your brain. How long can somebody watch themselves deteriorate? There's so much to live for, but for the most part you have to take care of your body. It's the only instrument that plays to your beat. More than being super thin, I want to be healthy to eventually see my grand children's wedding.
  • andrealeighx33
    Options

Ugh seriously! I should really start saving up my money now because once I hit my goal weight I'm going to spend so much money on new outfits!!
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    I'm moving overseas for my studies next year, so I just want to create a new, healthier image for myself! :bigsmile:

That is so AWESOME. I always wanted to do that when I was in college but I never did :/ I think part of it had to do with how unhappy I was with myself and my weight.

But good for you! You'll have so much fun :) Where are you going?
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last semester for laboratory scientist so first off, it's health.
    But for some more vanity driven reasons, I want to marry my wonderful boyfriend of 4 years and I'm not doing it weighing this much!! So many pictures to remember for the rest of our lives I want to look my best!
    Lastly, after we're married we do want kids and there's no way I'm intentionally getting pregnant at 215! So, back to health reasons I guess.

Cute clothes...it's been so long since I bought what I wanted vs what fits I don't even know what it's like. I am dying to fit into cute leather boots. Right now my calves are just too fat.
  • nehanair77
    Options
    I have always been on the heavier side of the scale ever since i was a kid. must say on the extreeeme side. now i am 31 and have a daughter of 14 months. i was lucky to not have any problems during my pregnancy because of my weight. But now i want to lose my weight and my biggest motivator is my baby. i want to be a good example for her. i dont want her to go through the same compromises and problems which i faced due to my weight. i want her to be a healthy girl and not fat. I want to be there for her, play with her, run with her...and have as much energy as she has....for this i need to cut down on my weight.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    i gotta say, change is my biggest motivator. There's a point where all that denial eventually twitches nerves in your brain. How long can somebody watch themselves deteriorate? There's so much to live for, but for the most part you have to take care of your body. It's the only instrument that plays to your beat. More than being super thin, I want to be healthy to eventually see my grand children's wedding.
    Yeah for me, something just clicked. I saw bad pictures of myself and was horrified that I looked that terrible. So I made up my mind to do something about it and its all history. I want to take care of myself. Looking and feeling better doesn't hurt either.
  • ZeeShay
    ZeeShay Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

Ugh seriously! I should really start saving up my money now because once I hit my goal weight I'm going to spend so much money on new outfits!!

I know I really need to start saving too! although I have a ways to go, so I have time to save hahaha good luck on your weight loss :]
  • andrealeighx33
    Options

I like the way you think! Being healthy is a great motivator. We are only given one body and it would be a shame to get sick or to die from something that is preventable such as a poor diet.
  • vcht
    vcht Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is so AWESOME. I always wanted to do that when I was in college but I never did :/ I think part of it had to do with how unhappy I was with myself and my weight.

But good for you! You'll have so much fun :) Where are you going?

I'm moving to Canada (:
    I feel a little insecure about my weight too, but hopefully it'll all change after these couple months! Got to exercise a lot and watch the snacking.. Finding it hard to find time because I'm actually having my exams now :ohwell: Once exams are over with it's exercise all the way!
  • Hulk0511
    Hulk0511 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and started losing weight 2 1/2 yrs ago down 75 total from when i started and got back on MFP after a long injury. I want to be able to do whatever I want and so far I am in better shape then when I was half this age. Anyone looking for support and motivation can add me. All the wonderful people I have met have made this journey fun and it pushes me to keep at it.
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    I'm in my last semester for laboratory scientist so first off, it's health.
    But for some more vanity driven reasons, I want to marry my wonderful boyfriend of 4 years and I'm not doing it weighing this much!! So many pictures to remember for the rest of our lives I want to look my best!
    Lastly, after we're married we do want kids and there's no way I'm intentionally getting pregnant at 215! So, back to health reasons I guess.

Cute clothes...it's been so long since I bought what I wanted vs what fits I don't even know what it's like. I am dying to fit into cute leather boots. Right now my calves are just too fat.

Oh how I miss wearing boots! :(
    I can understand where you're coming from. Hell, I've partially been avoiding dating because of my weight. I cannot WAIT until I feel comfortable enough to date again.
  • Stila562
    Options
    I want to know how i look like thin! that's my biggest motivation.
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    I have always been on the heavier side of the scale ever since i was a kid. must say on the extreeeme side. now i am 31 and have a daughter of 14 months. i was lucky to not have any problems during my pregnancy because of my weight. But now i want to lose my weight and my biggest motivator is my baby. i want to be a good example for her. i dont want her to go through the same compromises and problems which i faced due to my weight. i want her to be a healthy girl and not fat. I want to be there for her, play with her, run with her...and have as much energy as she has....for this i need to cut down on my weight.

You sound like an amazing mom! This is such a great motivator and I'm sure you'll reach your goal; You're inspiring :)
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    Yeah for me, something just clicked. I saw bad pictures of myself and was horrified that I looked that terrible. So I made up my mind to do something about it and its all history. I want to take care of myself. Looking and feeling better doesn't hurt either.

Good for you! You look awesome! Keep up the good work :)