What is your biggest motivator?

Options

Replies

• andrealeighx33
    andrealeighx33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First 60 pounds... being 31, loosing my flight status (high BP and borderline diabetic) and wanting to live to see my kids graduate high school (this was 12 years ago)... complete

Second 60 pounds... divorce... those who are divorced after 19 years of marriage know what I mean ;) ... complete

Balance... wanting to wake up EVERY DAY NOT BEING OBESE !!!!!!!... complete

Next 16 pounds... wanting to wake up under 200 pounds every day... then I can continue to maintain !!!!! ... in progress....

Good luck all !!!!!

I can't wait to get under 200! Hopefully by new years for me :)
    Congrats on all of the hard work, it has paid off!
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Seriously saving up money for new clothes is a great tip!!! I have lost about 50lbs on this journey so far and while it's great I have a very limited closet now (ah limited budget-lol).

Anyhow, my biggest motivation is my husband. Lots of mushy yadayada stuff could be tacked on, but I think I will leave it at that=D

I just found this ap about 2 weeks ago and it has been great! I hit a point where the weight pretty much stopped coming off and I knew it was time to do something else. Man, thinking back at the calories I was eating compared to what I now know no wonder I stopped losing.
    It would be great to find friends who would like to work together at keeping one another encouraged and positive.

~Cheers~
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    Healthier eating and living.. Plus I want to look good in my clothes again.. We are trying to get pregnant still and I heard if your a healthy weight before pregnancy it helps with healthier pregnancy..

Yeah I'm sure there are less chances of complications by being at a healthy weight during pregnancy.
    Good luck with everything :)
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    Seriously saving up money for new clothes is a great tip!!! I have lost about 50lbs on this journey so far and while it's great I have a very limited closet now (ah limited budget-lol).

Anyhow, my biggest motivation is my husband. Lots of mushy yadayada stuff could be tacked on, but I think I will leave it at that=D

I just found this ap about 2 weeks ago and it has been great! I hit a point where the weight pretty much stopped coming off and I knew it was time to do something else. Man, thinking back at the calories I was eating compared to what I now know no wonder I stopped losing.
    It would be great to find friends who would like to work together at keeping one another encouraged and positive.

~Cheers~

50 lbs down is such a great milestone! I can't wait until I'm there haha. You seem very driven and that's great that your motivation is your husband. :) And yeah, having a support system on this site is great. It really helps keeping me looking forward rather than backward.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    My greatest motivator is remembering when I couldnt walk.

Wow, that's a good one. I wasn't able to walk for a couple months and it drove me insane! I was so bored and felt so helpless. :/

You're looking great by the way! Congrats on the weight loss; very impressive!

Thank you! I just celebrated the 12 year anniversary of my car accident on Sept 6. Sometimes still hard to breathe, and sometimes at night or first thing in the morning, Im in more pain that I'll let anyone know - but that pain still makes me try really hard to make my broken body behave - not just normally - but exceptionally.

its motivating and heartbreaking at the same time every day :heart:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 years old and I have a one year old daughter. I'd love to dance at her wedding and maybe hold my grandchildren (in that order)

That's my motivation. I also happen to feel great, get compliments and I can run without dying, but it's all about my daughter.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be the old fat guy.

to date chicks half my age

to preform better then guys half my age

it feels better then doing nothing

to look a guy in the eyes and know at 45 I can kick his *kitten*

it's the only body I have I sould really take care of it

Nice list. :) I definitely relate to the last one. This is my body and it should reflect the best me I can be. I only get one life to live and I finally decided to finally live the life I want!

very active on your thread ..............refreshing
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Having less fat makes my Yoga much more enjoyable.

Lovely positive thread - brilliant!
  • MegMorrisonWilson
    Options
    The gym is far away without a car and it gets dark by the time I get home now. I'm trying to add push ups and other body-weight stuff to help with it. I wish I had a gym next door!
  • judicialjedi
    judicialjedi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like all of posts I've seen and I'd like to say it's to look better in and out of clothes, but that never was a good enough motivator in the past. Well except once, but it was over once I got into a relationship.

My motivator now is my heart. I lost my Dad and my Uncle recently and shortly afterward, I was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat. I did some soul searching and I realized that had they done something for their health when they were my age, they might have had a fighting chance. So everyday that I have to take a pill is constant motivation to get off the medication and avoid heart disease by losing the excess weight and for once in my life become healthy and dare I say athletic. So including the 10 pounds I lost before I started MFP, I've lost 56 lbs so far and I am planning to lose another 80. Wish me luck!!!!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My motivation was to get back into a state of health that wasn't dependent on medication, to lose the fat and size that had built up, to be able to fit into my clothes again, and to just be happier. I didn't really like who I had become.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of motivators. First, I love how I feel when I am strong and healthy. Second, I love clothes and feel more comfortable in them when I feel good about my food choices."you are what you eat" really is true.
  • sheanunley
    Options
    For me my biggest motivation is my son. This summer we lost a family member to diabetes at the age of 41. She left behind three children, one of which was my son's age 6. I too have diabetes and when we attended the funeral I decided I had enough and that I was not going to be in a casket at 41 years old leaving my son behind. While I am only 29 now, the fact that at 41 that could be me if I did not loose this weight and leave my son behind was the motivation I needed.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm 21 (about to be 22 in a few months) and I'm determined to lose the weight! Growing up I've always been the chubby girl. However, when I started high school I had slimmed down from playing competitive soccer. My junior year I tore my ACL, had to have knee surgery, and was not able to run for 10 months. Since then I've had issues with my knee and my eating habits have gotten out of control. It's been 5 years and I'm sick of it; I would really love to be able to play soccer again!

I'm out of college now and I thought to myself "If I have the determination to finish school, then I definitely have the determination to lose the weight!" In the last few months I have been doing weight watchers however I've decided to try out MFP because I've heard so many great things about this site and about the supportive community. :) I'm down 26 lbs and am looking to lose about 75 more!

I'm looking for friends who will be encouraging and supportive; Ones who will help keep me motivated and I will do the same in return (: Feel free to add me!

But first, what's your biggest motivator for wanting to lost the weight?
    Mine would have to be the cute clothes! I'm sick of wearing plain t-shirts and jeans. I want to be able to fit into cute dresses and shorts!

cute clothes, better running performance, fitting in with the guys I work with and being respected by them for my fitness level, having confidence in myself.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of motivators. First, I love how I feel when I am strong and healthy. Second, I love clothes and feel more comfortable in them when I feel good about my food choices."you are what you eat" really is true.

a hot chick in a cheetah ****, i find that motivating :flowerforyou:
  • LindsayWantsToBeHealthy
    Options
    My biggest motivator is to be able to walk around and feel good- physically and mentally! I'm sick of my knees hurting or my ankles hurting just walking to a class, and I'm sick of watching myself eat myself to death. What really stemmed me losing weight was that I saw stretch marks on my arms! I was so bummed because I have them on my hips and things, but it's not like anyone sees them. With my arms, you can see them even if I wear a tee shirt and I'm just ashamed. Also, having a boyfriend that weighs sixty pounds less than me is a pretty big motivator! Mostly, I just want to be healthy and not get more stretch marks than I already have. Even with the laser surgeries, they will still always be there, so they are way worse than cellulite!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Seeing patients who can barely move, need 4 people to move them in bed, who have chronic pain because of all the extra weight on their joints, multiple co-morbidity: heart disease, diabetes, etc, etc, etc...

I don't want to end up that way. My dad has diabetes, congestive heart failure, atrial fibrillation, and has had a stroke.

My sister is 5 years older than me and was recently diagnosed with diabetes as well.

I'm also married to a type 1 diabetic who works hard to take care of himself.

While I long to look better, and have my clothes fit better, health and fitness are my true motivations at this point.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivator was my appearance. I was just so sick of being fat and "ugly". Now I have changed my diet yet again for health reasons. I want to be as healthy as I can be and the diet is the key for me. Food is the fuel, the water for the plants if you will. It is the most important thing to me now.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Being 44, my initial motivation was to be able to wear hot-pants at 45. Now my motivation is all the people who never thought I would join a gym and go, change my eating habits without much effort, and that I actually know what I am doing!

Sad to say but I think my long term motivation will be proving my mother wrong when she said "hold on to your old clothes for when you put the weight back on." When people say that losing weight changes you, part of that is true you sometimes have to change - by removing those negative people from ones life.