What is your biggest motivator?

Options

Replies

• andrealeighx33
    andrealeighx33 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    biggest motivater for me is getting a six figure salary,im about 40 pounds away from getting THE JOB...i know its the 40 pounds thats holding me back...and yes i am a male.

That's quite the motivator! You can do it!
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    My biggest motivator is an upcoming vacation! I really want to feel and look amazing on this trip.

How exciting! Vacations have always been bittersweet for me because I've never been happy with the way I look in a swimsuit. I hope you reach your goal!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    My greatest motivator is remembering when I couldnt walk.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a long, long way to go. My daily motivation has become those darned MFP targets! If I am at target calories and I'm hungry I go for walk so I can eat. Apparently, I like to chase these numbers. Who knew! Initially, my exercise goal was to hit 2000 minutes per week. Now I'm trying to get to 3000+ minutes/week. I entered strength exercises and I'm trying to maintain and increase my weights and reps. Keeping track of all of these things makes all of the elusive pieces to successful weight loss more tangible for me and manageable! It's overwhelming to think I still have over 100 lbs to go. But! I CAN hit my goals for food and exercise today. Tomorrow is always a fresh start, too!
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    To be free, meaning unburdoned from carrying this weight. I was on WW, but like you decided to try MFP. It seems to be working so far. I am 85 lbs down combination of counting calories which is where i lost the majority of my weight, and WW, 25lbs. More to lose but i am able to ride and train my horse at my current weight. This is very rewarding as prior to losing, i could not walk from the parking lot at work without severe foot and heel pain, quit riding my horses, eating had become my hobby, a very lonely place. Now i am more motivated than ever, feeling like i am getting my old self back after all these years. :bigsmile:

Wow that is awesome! Glad to hear some of your story :) I haven't really talked to many others who've switched over from WW, so thank you. You're an inspiration!
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    I wanna look good naked & be able to zip my pants with no meat hanging over the top....lol

Oh I can't wait for this either!
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    Biggest motivator is the future. I want to b around forever
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    My biggest motivator is being almost 50 and feeling terrible! I want to be able to move easier and for it to not be such a struggle. I have a 7 year old and 2 grand kids. I want to be able to go places and do things with them and not have to make excuses. Being able to go to the pool and not feeling like a beached whale would be so nice. I avoid the pool at all costs but my son really loves it. Today is my first day. I am definitely motivated tho. I'm tired of being tired all the time!

Well welcome! I agree, I was sick of being tired all the time! I definitely have more energy nowadays. :) I'm no where near my goal weight yet but I'm already starting feeling a difference when I'm moving around; It's getting easier every day. Good luck!
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    My wife is way, WAY out of my league. That seems like it would be awesome, but makes me kind of ashamed that my hot young wife is married to a fat old dude. If I was a fit old dude, I would feel a lot better about it. That's the goal at least.

That's a great goal to have! Plus the better your health, the longer you'll live which equals more time you can spend with her. :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    To be a good role model for my upcoming child. I was a fat kid and I know how hard it was for me growing up. Before I got pregnant, I was working out hard, eating very well, and steadily losing weight. Now my focus is to not gain a ton of pregnancy weight. You can't preach to your kid about not being fat if you're fat yourself.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    my son has prader will syndrome. it's a chromosomal disorder that effects the hypothalamus and makes it so he never feels satisfied or full when he eats.. he will food seek and keep eating until someone stops him.. or worse.. We will have to keep all food out of sight and Lock all the food away. People with PWS also have low tone. and they don't metabolize calories the way typical people do. so he'll be on a 600 to 900 calorie diet and exercise regimen for life!! . If i don't get control of my own eating and activity level.. I can't control his., it's life and death for him.. and i need to be a great example for him. I want my son to be as healthy and happy as he can be. with no complications. he's just transitioned to food seeking. Time to stop procrastinating!! It's time to get serious!!! for my little guy!
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    I just honestly want to be happy again.

Andrea I can defiantly relate to you a bit. I've always been a little bit curvy, but athletic curvy where it looked good. Also, Ive always been addicted to sugar and crappy food since I was a young girl. I could eat whatever I wanted to and still stay thin since I was playing about 4 hours of tennis (scholarship tennis player) a day plus being on various high school teams (soccer, volleyball, etc). I was so active I didn't really care about what I was eating. Well about 3 years ago I completely stopped playing tennis as I had finished my undergrad plus I started dating my boyfriend. My activity level significantly decreased but I still kept eating the same crappy food. Plus I was happy and comfortable in a relationship so I was not mindful at all as to what I was eating. Three years later and 40 pounds more, I have struggled so much with trying to get back to where I was before. I have been depressed now for the last couple years about my weight to the point I am embarrassed to go out, wear the same baggy clothes over and over again and feel unmotivated to even meet or speak with people. I've tried so hard to cut out sugary foods and be a bit more active, and yes I do this for a couple weeks but then I go back to my usual bad habits.

A few days ago I looked in the mirror and just broke down. I am so sick and tired of being unhappy because of my weight that I am using this unhappiness now as a motivator. I don't want to be sad anymore and feel bad about my weight gain. I want to be able to go out and feel confident about the way I look. I want to be able to wear whatever I want and flaunt it! I want to feel sexy with or without clothes.

Everyday it's a battle fighting my sweet tooth but I know if i keep telling myself that I don't want to be sad anymore, I will stop going for that tub of ice cream.

Keep your head up Andrea!! We can do this!!!

Yeah I ate whatever I wanted when ever I wanted and it didn't matter much because I exercised A LOT, especially when I was on two soccer teams at one time. It got really bad when I went from exercising everyday to not being able to move around at all. I became very depressed after my injury and began eating worse. It was hard to stay positive when you can't even bend your leg. :/
    My flexibility will never be 100% in that leg but I'm not going to let my knee be an excuse anymore; I can still walk and run!

My unhappiness with my weight is what got me started also. But now that I've been on the wagon for a while, I'm not as unhappy anymore. I don't remember the last time I've been so proud of myself! I'm not where I want to be yet but I'm happy with the results I'm getting. You just have to keep in mind that losing weight takes time. :)
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    The fact that i can take MyFitnessPal anywhere with the app!
    the fact that if i need to tighten up ship,i have friends on here that will notice.
    more less though that everybody on here is gunna be like woooo!! you go girl!
    when i loose or workout out!

i havent told anybody in my life im on a lifestyle change or working out cause they'll attempt to sabotage it! AGAIN!!
    but, they'll figure it out soon enough! and thats what put's a smile on my face to know that they cant discourage me if they dont know.

I'm sorry that the people in your life will attempt to sabotage your lifestyle change. :( But like you said, the people here are great! It definitely makes eating healthier easier since you know people will see what you're eating! Good luck with your weight loss, we can do this!
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    I have all types of motivating factors right now but the one that stands out the most is going up and down the stairs of my town home with ease and not pain in my knees! LOL Pretty sad for a 38 year old!

Knee pain is not fun! I can't jog for very long with out my knee killing me. I know if I lost some more weight there would be less pressure on my bum knee and it probably wouldn't hurt as much.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Reality has hit me hard recently. My daughter will be graduating high school in less than 2yrs. It's been just the two of us for so long (not withstanding a few relationships I've had in the middle :brokenheart: ) and I'm realizing that at 38 I will have an empty nest!!! I'm excited!!! :drinker: I'm scared!!! :embarassed: I'm sad!!! :cry: I'm nervous!!! :ohwell: ...but mostly I'm unsure about what my future now holds. My life has revolved around my baby and even though I've got friendships and hobbies, I feel NOW is MY TIME to really live again. I had her at 20 so never got to do all that crazy stuff young people usually do (and I don't intend to now) but I do want to be selfish for the first time in my life.....and I want to look and feel my best while doing it!!! - Wordy, yeah but I think I just had an epiphany!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    batman.

Haha nice one!
    I see you did tough mudder! That's pretty awesome! I'm hoping to be in good enough shape to do it next year, it looked like so much fun.
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    the mirror is my biggest motivator.

Definitely! Pictures are also good cause I can see where I was and how far I've come already.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Well, I was about to give up, then the other day after my shower, i ran up the stairs naked and my belly flopped against my legs so yeah... I'm keeping with this, even though I haven't lost a single pound in a month.
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    I let my haters be my motivators

Nice! I can't wait to see their reactions when I hit my goal :)
  • andrealeighx33
    Options
    My greatest motivator is remembering when I couldnt walk.

Wow, that's a good one. I wasn't able to walk for a couple months and it drove me insane! I was so bored and felt so helpless. :/

You're looking great by the way! Congrats on the weight loss; very impressive!