Read this and then make jerky comments.

Options

Replies

• thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

Haha! Record that so I can see, too!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    we've come full circle. a thread about the threads about people being mean in threads.

And with that, we can close the internets for the day.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ....wish i had a delete button in real life... :)

I SO WANT ONE OF THESE!!!

Dear Santa....
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    PleaseNot-this-thread-again.jpg

Just kidding.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    It's called a joke, my friend. :)

it's all just fun and games one big joke

I don't think so I think we need to do some push ups maybe a few 8 count bodybuilders then we'll see who's laughing :laugh: :happy:
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    some people become very attached to a false sense of superiority. a false sense of superiority is very easily attained on the interwebs.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    So..what exactly are you expecting as a result from starting this thread?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

^^Amen, sista!! People are quite a bit snarkier (is that a word?) online than in real life. After all, they can hide behind their computers!! But this quote had me laughingXD Can I add you as a friend??

Of course you can!

I basically only wrote this post to use that joke, haha.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options

This is funny and glorious analogy. I agree 100%.

I completely disagree. I think the analogy is a horrible one.

A more accurate analogy would be one in which someone goes to a library, but chooses not to read the books, and instead asks other people to summarize the books for them. Those people would prefer cliff notes.

A person who wants cliff notes or crib notes or whatever you want to call them either cannot or will not invest the time in reading the book that they were assigned. Instead, they are choosing for a synopsis, in the end, enabling them to worry less about learning the material and more about getting to an end result...it is a short cut, if you will.

Short cuts, don't help people. Short answers don't help people...and by the way, this is all my opinion...I am not an authority on anything. But from what I have experienced, people who want answers spoon fed to them, forget how to learn. The information they gain is almost pointless because it gets filed incorrectly in their brains. They don't know why they know something, or why something is, just that it is and they should accept it, almost on faith.

This is all hard work. I applaud the efforts of those who try, whether or not they succeed. To me, asking questions you can answer on your with a little effort is akin to not trying.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    So..what exactly are you expecting as a result from starting this thread?

World Peace and perhaps my own daytime talk show.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    First, I'd like to state this is not a "OMG PPL ON MFP ARE SO MEAN AND I HATE IT! WAAAH" thread. Because I realize of course some people on here are going to be jerks, jerks are everywhere. I don't even involve myself with them. Also, a lot of the time, it's more funny than mean and some people can just be sensitive..etc.. Also, I'm a pretty big jerk sometimes, and it's kind of great.

But, something that really gets on my nerves is people complaining about people asking the same questions over and over. Who cares. Yes, every day there are new threads asking about water, eating back exercise calories, certain diet or fitness programs, etc. I realize this can seem annoying, but I would never complain about it or say something snarky to the question asker because

1) No one is forcing me to read any thread

2) Not everyone knows what you know. Not everyone has been here for weeks, months, years. Just because you've had the conversation before, doesn't mean they have. Sure, the could easily search the forum for old conversations...but they want to experience it themselves, speak to new people about it, make friends and find support not experience it second hand by reading month old threads that they can't contribute to.

I don't know the exact number, but let's say 80 kajillion new people join MFP each day, aren't they entitled to discover and experience and learn at their own rate?

yup I have seen it too and have to laugh at those people as well as the ones that try and shut people down for questions/suggestions/opinions that are not their own and so not as good and shouldnt be on here lmao ...really??? good post!! no jerky comments here though I am sure you will get more than a few lmao
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Beef.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    :laugh:
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Beef.

It's what's for dinner?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Beef.

It's what's for dinner?

I was told to make jerky comments.
  • Bess_74
    Bess_74 Posts: 68
    Options
    Love it!!! Thanks so much for posting! I've only been on here a few weeks and posted (what I now consider to be the three times daily) eating back calories thread when I first started. I got some great comments & was redirected to previous posts which was super helpful, however one person who was like the third to comment posted "I don't think you understnad how this website works." My immeadate response was a snarky "No s**t Sherlock, that's why I'm posting," but didn't reply back (kinda wish I would have, but I just ended up ignoring them). I love your sense of humor & your prespective on the whole situation....let me know if anyone takes you up on the library comment. I too would love to watch! :laugh:
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For some reason I have an urge to visit the library. :D
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Library no, books store maybe.:laugh:

As for the same questions over and over. There is a search option while not great - and the forums are full of crap and you have to search through a lot to find what you want but there is also google, When I want to know something and can't find exactly what i want on the forums I google it because I am sure its on the forums but lost and I do not want to bombard a million people with a question that was answered yesterday and if I can't find it on google than I go to the forums. But in all honesty some of the the questions I have read are ridiculous and should be fairly common knowledge and it does get annoying opening a thread and reading it going back opening the next one and bam its the same question posted an hour after the last one. I usually don't comment on them but truth is it gets annoying.
    [/quote]

Not specifically speaking to the person I quoted, just referencing to your post :)

You would be surprised how many people that are newbies have no idea about things that people think are common knowledge. Not everyone is experienced and understands a lot that is involved in changing their lifestyle, I feel that is what the forums are here for. When someone posts a thread, depending on how many people are also posting, it can get knocked off the first page in about 2 minutes, and not everyone goes pages back to look at threads, so I think that is why similar questions get asked alot. There are a lot of people on this site, and a lot that have been on here for a long time. If they think some topic is overplayed and been asked a bunch of times, like others said, then move on and don't respond. I think sometimes they make a big deal of it but I think they really like when the constant threads come up because then they can make snarky comments about omg how many times are we gonna see this? I think some people just like to be jerks, plain and simple lol
    And not to confuse when people say others are mean when they are trying to give advice, I have seen a lot of people get labeled as being mean, when they are just trying to help and are just not sugar coating it.

I value the opinions of a lot of people on here and have come to realize how many educated people there are on this site. I never understood net calories and the importance of staying around a cal goal thats right for you, and I have been dieting my whole life. This place has given me a lot of knowledge, and when you get to share your own experience and explain why you are asking the question you are and getting responses, it does make a difference instead of trying to find a thread and have to read through pages of nonsense comments to actually find people answering the actual question.

I look at the threads sometimes and see people asking legitimate questions and they barely get any responses, but then someone will post a thread like this or ranting/venting or one just about nonsense and its about 20 pages long. Now that I don't understand. As much as people complain, I think they like being able to make nasty comments, be snarky or some just plain rude, instead of really helping people. Not saying there are a lot of people like that, but there are quite a few I have seen over threads that you see them a lot just being nasty for no reason.

Honestly I just don't understand why people get mad in general, it is the internet, no one is forcing you to sit on a certain thread and make comments. I sit and read a lot of threads just to see the drama unfold, I find it amusing. And I usually only post when I can help the OP or give them my experience or advice because I believe that is what the forums are for no? lol

Just my 2 cents :)

ETA - tried to fix the quote thing, didn't work...oh well lol
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I just try to remember that once upon a time, it was ME who had the same old questions......course that doesn't mean I am going to answer it two zillion times, either. I just keep moving on....
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Beef.

I was told to make jerky comments.

*groan*