Read this and then make jerky comments.

Options

Replies

• gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP, up to the point where people aren't trying to help themselves first. My number one pet peeve. Don't be lazy, do some research (reading) on your own first. Don't come here and ask "the same questions" because it's easier than trying to find out for yourself. The "I don't have time so someone just tell me the fastest way to lose weight..." people ARE annoying. Those ones will get the full wrath of my ire every damn time. But sincere and/or overwhelmed people, new or not, deserve some hand-holding at first.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

lol love this!!! i would watch this!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Julettashane
    Options
    [

Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

lol love this!!! i would watch this!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I better stop participating in this conversation, trying to offer a clearer perspective as to why this happens and what exactly about it is aggravating. Apparently, this is just another place to complain about why all the people who are already successful are wrong as usual.

have a feeling someone is about to try to Capslock me to death.

No, I get what you're saying. I only posted this originally because I felt some people were being totally disrespected just for asking a question, and wanting to use the forums to gain new information and resources. It hasn't happened to me personally, I don't ask too many questions here, I do try to find facts for myself rather than rely on opinion.

I actually agree with what most people are saying. I didn't think about it from the perspective of someone who is trying to help others, and receives only resistance and arguments. I do think some people refuse to listen to some opinions because they want to cling to what they know out of fear or laziness.

I was just trying to spread some love and get some laughs.
  • Julettashane
    Options
    now i want beef jerky
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

This is funny and glorious analogy. I agree 100%.

The analogy is actually flawed.

To be accurate it would be to say that you are in a library, but instead of reading the books for reference you ask everyone in there for the answers...
    Actually, I think it's more like going to the library and wondering aloud where the book about ________ is and then having a random stranger come up and say, "Which book? - it's easier to search by author or title rather than subject, because that is how a library works. If you're looking for information on this, I would suggest this book or anything by this author." And then person stomps their feet and whines until you go get the book for them and paraphrase the whole thing before they wander off for lunch and ignore everything you just told them because you dont retain information unless you get it for yourself and put it into practice.

^ fixed your post.

Slight amendment to that though -
    And then person disagrees with your choice, stomps their feet and whines until you go get the book that they want even though they asked you which they should because you have knowledge in that area and they do not for them and paraphrase the whole thing
  • Spudleywudley
    Options
    Well spoken!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP, up to the point where people aren't trying to help themselves first. My number one pet peeve. Don't be lazy, do some research (reading) on your own first. Don't come here and ask "the same questions" because it's easier than trying to find out for yourself. The "I don't have time so someone just tell me the fastest way to lose weight..." people ARE annoying. Those ones will get the full wrath of my ire every damn time. But sincere and/or overwhelmed people, new or not, deserve some hand-holding at first.

I agree with this philosophy also. People who aren't willing to help themselves won't get too far on here even if you try to guide them, so most of us who have had some success and have done our homework don't want to bother. People who are new and trying but feeling lost or overwhelmed are another story entirely. It's not always easy to tell one from the other on here either.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

To be accurate it would be to say that you are in a library, but instead of reading the books for reference you ask everyone in there for the answers...
    Actually, I think it's more like going to the library and wondering aloud where the book about ________ is and then having a random stranger come up and say, "Which book? - it's easier to search by author or title rather than subject, because that is how a library works. If you're looking for information on this, I would suggest this book or anything by this author." And then person stomps their feet and whines until you go get the book for them and paraphrase the whole thing before they wander off for lunch and ignore everything you just told them because you dont retain information unless you get it for yourself and put it into practice.

^ fixed your post.

And then person disagrees with your choice, stomps their feet and whines until you go get the book that they want even though they asked you which they should because you have knowledge in that area and they do not for them and paraphrase the whole thing
    Thank god for the ignore feature!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    sometimes even the experts get passed by amateurs that know themselves better than anyone else could

sZ6jF.jpg
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

^ fixed your post.

and then you come back with it and they aren't even there anymore cause they already gave up cause we took too long.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Well Said!!!
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this.

Good post, totally agree. This particular part above had me laughing... could picture this in my head.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options

ME TOO!!!!:drinker:
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    But those people aren't writing a new book every time... If I have a question, I tend to search and see if it's already been asked and answered a hundred times before I create a new thread. Just me, I don't need everything spoon fed directly to me.

Neither do I. But some people do. Who am I to deny them that?

I just think everyone should be nice and respectful to each other. But obviously, we're on the internet, this shall never happen.

well aren't you special!

That's what the note my mom puts in my lunchbox everyday says!
    LOL, hey you asked for jerky comments :happy:
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Beef.

It's what's for dinner?

I was told to make jerky comments.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

^ fixed your post.

Thank god for the ignore feature!

^least helpful but most perfect example of the people that honestly dont give a frak about anyone on this website or their questions or struggles, but hang around as if they did.

You seriously need to go to Hawaii. The world is a beautiful happy place when you dont waste time telling the internet that you've got someone on ignore. What on earth does that accomplish?

So weird.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how many people do not possess knowledge of things that many of us consider common knowledge. Examples (and yes, I have encountered these people myself...sad but true):

1. A lady who could not understand what "fats" were in her diet (and thus could not figure out what a low-fat diet consisted of).
    2. MANY parents of babies/young children who do not even own a thermometer.
    3. People who do not realize that tylenol, ibuprofen, and aspirin are completely different medications.
    4. People who do not realize that many beverages contain sugar and then can't figure out why they aren't losing weight when they are drinking 6 or more cans of soda per day.
    5. Many people simply do not know what a portion size is supposed to be. (Most of us were probably in this category when we started our MFP/weight loss/healthy lifestyle journey. I know I was!)
    6. I knew a man who, upon waking in the morning with severe chest pain, proceeded to drink a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette. Fortunately, when the pain didn't go away he called 911. Turned out he was having a massive heart attack.
    7. (Probably TMI) A lady who, when asked if she had been having diarrhea, replied "I don't know." She wasn't joking--she had no clue what the term meant.
    8. A lady who was not computer-savvy was trying to use her new computer. Keep in mind this conversation was over the phone. She was having multiple windows open on her screen and couldn't figure out how to make them go away. Every time she clicked on the "X" in the corner, another window would open. After much discussion (on my part) and tears (on her part), we determined that she was RIGHT clicking her mouse rather than LEFT clicking it. She just assumed that the right button was the correct one. (This person happens to be my mother-in-law, a very intelligent person. She is now much more tech-literate, and I love her to pieces. We laugh about this now).

The point is, you can't assume how much ANYONE knows about ANYTHING. Maybe people start new threads because the search function isn't bringing up anything that they feel speaks to their issue. Maybe they don't know what the push-pins and locks mean next to those topics at the top of the list (maybe they assume the lock means they are only accessible by certain people, or that they need a password to see those). Maybe they are new to discussion boards, or just don't have time to search through weeks and months of old posts. Who knows? If you don't feel like answering a particular question for the umpteenth time, don't. Move on to something else. If you find yourself responding the same way repeatedly and often to these kinds of posts, make a document you save on your computer. When you see that topic again, copy and paste it from your saved document rather than type it all out again. Either way, there's no need to bash people or be sarcastic (sarcasm doesn't always translate well, even when in person). What may seem obvious to one person is a brand-new revelation to someone else. Doesn't mean they are stupid, they just don't know. Let's try to be helpful, remember that we were once new to all of this too, and try to bring each other up rather than put each other down.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    Damn.. I was hoping Jerky Comments was secret MFP language for Jerky Recipes

(laffing)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

If we're fixing analogies, can we fix the analogy fixes? It's more like going to a library and asking a group of librarians, can someone help me with this problem? The librarians that are tired of this question can let someone else answer and go take their break. In the smoking room, where people can talk endlessly about rating the person next to them and it never gets old or told to use the search. If all the librarians are tired of it, they can all go smoke together and figure out hot or not while the person waits for an answer or goes and looks it up herself.

No one in the analogy is a quiet reader who has the expectation of going to the library for peace and quiet. You're on a discussion forum. Not a quiet and read to yourself reference desk. For those that just want to read, put on your headphones and turn the page.

I once asked a question because had I tried to google it myself, I would have gotten tons of hits because the terms were so broad. However, I asked my question, someone very quickly and nicely gave me an explanation, and out of that, I also got a new term which I could google if I wanted. I didn't want to use the search for the same reason I didn't want to use google.

Also, don't the site rules ask you not to criticize people for posting a repeat topic? If this wasn't allowed, how many new threads would there really be?