Read this and then make jerky comments.

Options

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

People go to the library to learn and find out information for themselves and dig deep for knowledge, so of course I would never slap a book out of their hands - I may slip them a note of recommendations and give them a kudos though.

But that is not what is happening on MFP.

Unfortunately, MFP is not a community built mostly of people digging for the knowledge to change themselves. Instead it is a community made almost entirely of people who live a life built on excuses and denial who have not yet learned that they even NEED to dig deep into knowledge. They are plagued by propaganda dressed as knowledge they have been gobbling up for years. This training to adopt justification for not changing habits, for finding new reasons why the right things won't work for you specifically, to resist change and to find the easy way or the shortcut.... is not finding knowledge. They want the shortest possible easy answer handed to them fresh and customized on a silver sugar coated platter.

Im talking about newbies, not those who have already 'woken up'.

Those of us that are trying to help, are slapping the wrong perspective out of their heads and putting the right info in their hands.

When someone takes away all the excuses you've been snuggling for years, you get butthurt - or you get moving.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not against people correcting other people, or offering them up different information. I mostly meant those who complain about threads coming up again and again. Not everyone joined this site on the same day.

I get what you are saying though, to complain to the person is a bit ridiculous. Why not just copy and paste some links to give them the hint?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    YAY!! [JERK MODE ON]

How many people would walk into your library and start yelling at the top of their lungs:

"HEY WHERES THE BOOKS ON...!!??? THEY AREN'T RIGHT HERE! RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! SOMEONE GO GET THEM FOR ME RIGHT NOW!!"

In the library there are places to LOOK for the information you want. On ANY forum that is about ANY topic..games, crafts, golf, raising kids, bathing dogs, WEIGHT LOSS, there are these things called STICKIES. These stickies are like a MAP to the library, they tell you all the information you need, and where to go to find anything else you want. Also on ANY forum there's a search which you can use to find other things AFTER you have read the stickies.

I'm sorry to assume that 90% of people who are on this forum have been on the Internet for long enough to know how to search and who probably have also been to at least 1 other 'forum' and have seen a sticky. I've actually been on sites where if you asked a question that was asked in the last 6 months they just deleted your thread so you didn't clog up the board where other people could be asking NEW questions. Considering at least 80% of people here have profile pictures and BIO's they would have to at least have some sort of mental capacity to read and notice the little pictures of locks and pushpins at the top. Possibly their brains could comprehend the messages there..READ ME.. pretty obvious no? The choice NOT to follow these easily laid out instructions is akin to yelling in the library..People are going to get annoyed with you for doing it.

Crying that people are being mean when you have gone out of your way to IGNORE the help that is right THERE..like the first thing you see in this forum...Unless you lack the mental capacity to read - and maybe some people do (but I doubt they would be here) - or have some sort of disorder that makes you stupid (again probably wouldn't be here) - is just wasting everyone's time.

[JERK..OFF :devil: ]

^^This is what I was about to say.

And after this happens:
    "HEY WHERES THE BOOKS ON...!!??? THEY AREN'T RIGHT HERE! RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!! SOMEONE GO GET THEM FOR ME RIGHT NOW!!"

This person then argues with whoever brought them the book they required: you didn't get it from the right place, how do you know this is the right book, maybe this book doesn't work for me, etc etc), and any other suggested books that are brought up are given the same treatment. The person then complains that their feelings are being hurt and that they are being bullied for being given said book, plus extras books related to the same topic, and then the other people in the library gang up and call the giver of the book a bully as well and say that they are not being very supportive. Then their are flying monkeys and rabid penguins everywhere and the thread gets locked...
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I was going to say something jerky, because I am really good at following directions, but then I read the post, so...

I'm with you totally. I remember someone said, "Do you know how many times I have to answer this question?" Yes, I do know how many times you HAVE to answer this question. NONE. How many times you CHOOSE to answer this question is entirely up to you. If you don't want to do it, don't do it, but no one is seeking you out specifically, begging you to help them.

It's not that I have a problem with anyone offering advice--although when people do it in a condescending "Look at me and then listen to everything I say because I look so great and I'm sure you want to look just like me" way, I get sick of seeing their advice and put them on ignore--it's the people who chime in on every thread with their advice and act annoyed that the person who asked didn't already know the answer that really bug me.

ETA: I like peppered and original flavored jerky. Teriyaki is overrated.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :laugh: YES! :drinker:

ETA: Meant to quote Cbrass
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Do you stand in the library and slap books out of peoples hands while screaming "DON'T READ THAT BOOK. I'VE ALREADY READ IT. LET ME SUMMARIZE IT FOR YOU!" Probably not. But if you do, I'd enjoy watching this. Please let me know.

People go to the library to learn and find out information for themselves and dig deep for knowledge, so of course I would never slap a book out of their hands - I may slip them a note of recommendations and give them a kudos though.

But that is not what is happening on MFP.

Unfortunately, MFP is not a community built mostly of people digging for the knowledge to change themselves. Instead it is a community made almost entirely of people who live a life built on excuses and denial who have not yet learned that they even NEED to dig deep into knowledge. They are plagued by propaganda dressed as knowledge they have been gobbling up for years. This training to adopt justification for not changing habits, for finding new reasons why the right things won't work for you specifically, to resist change and to find the easy way or the shortcut.... is not finding knowledge. They want the shortest possible easy answer handed to them fresh and customized on a silver sugar coated platter.

Im talking about newbies, not those who have already 'woken up'.

Those of us that are trying to help, are slapping the wrong perspective out of their heads and putting the right info in their hands.

When someone takes away all the excuses you've been snuggling for years, you get butthurt - or you get moving.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not against people correcting other people, or offering them up different information. I mostly meant those who complain about threads coming up again and again. Not everyone joined this site on the same day.

What about the people that dont research anything at all for themselves ever because they just dont care enough and are demanding that we do all the work for them, again. Because they are special. Because they shouldnt have to research for themselves. Because someone should definitely do the work for them. Because, lol, why should they try to learn when they can just ask someone else to do everything for them. Because they are so used to not taking any action. Because they are so used to sitting back passively. Because action and desire and drive are not things they have ever been used to employing.

Because researching their own problems is too time consuming and out of the question and they want special treatment because they are out of shape, overweight, unhealthy or weak and that makes them deserving of coddling. You did this to yourself, you get yourself out of it, its not our job to take all the information that WE dug for and studied and searched for for years and just hand it to you because you got lazy.

NOW - if you have been reading and learning and researching and delving into the depths of the how and the why and the biology and you come across something you dont understand or are having trouble applying to your situation....

Ask for help.

But dont ask FIRST.

Asking is a last resort.

Asking before ever trying to find the answers for yourself, asking before ever taking any action at all is simply skipping ahead of the part where you take ownership of your own body and life and direction and doing what youve always done....

Putting that responsibility on other people instead of you.

YOU want it?

YOU find it.

We are just supplements that you like taking advantage of before you even give it an honest try of your own.

Own your own fate and you can have the pride that goes with it.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    YAY!! [JERK MODE ON]

How many people would walk into your library and start yelling at the top of their lungs:

In the library there are places to LOOK for the information you want. On ANY forum that is about ANY topic..games, crafts, golf, raising kids, bathing dogs, WEIGHT LOSS, there are these things called STICKIES. These stickies are like a MAP to the library, they tell you all the information you need, and where to go to find anything else you want. Also on ANY forum there's a search which you can use to find other things AFTER you have read the stickies.

I'm sorry to assume that 90% of people who are on this forum have been on the Internet for long enough to know how to search and who probably have also been to at least 1 other 'forum' and have seen a sticky. I've actually been on sites where if you asked a question that was asked in the last 6 months they just deleted your thread so you didn't clog up the board where other people could be asking NEW questions. Considering at least 80% of people here have profile pictures and BIO's they would have to at least have some sort of mental capacity to read and notice the little pictures of locks and pushpins at the top. Possibly their brains could comprehend the messages there..READ ME.. pretty obvious no? The choice NOT to follow these easily laid out instructions is akin to yelling in the library..People are going to get annoyed with you for doing it.

Crying that people are being mean when you have gone out of your way to IGNORE the help that is right THERE..like the first thing you see in this forum...Unless you lack the mental capacity to read - and maybe some people do (but I doubt they would be here) - or have some sort of disorder that makes you stupid (again probably wouldn't be here) - is just wasting everyone's time.

[JERK..OFF :devil: ]

^^This is what I was about to say.

And after this happens:

This person then argues with whoever brought them the book they required: you didn't get it from the right place, how do you know this is the right book, maybe this book doesn't work for me, etc etc), and any other suggested books that are brought up are given the same treatment. The person then complains that their feelings are being hurt and that they are being bullied for being given said book, plus extras books related to the same topic, and then the other people in the library gang up and call the giver of the book a bully as well and say that they are not being very supportive. Then their are flying monkeys and rabid penguins everywhere and the thread gets locked...

I get it. If I'm doing something wrong, or not as effective as something else, I'd want to know about it, A lot of people are really resistant to changing their opinions on something. I take everything I hear about weight loss with a grain of salt, do some research and decide for myself.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    nvm...
  • jcpreader
    Options
    Love it! You are so right
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Agreed:glasses:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Library no, books store maybe.:laugh:

As for the same questions over and over. There is a search option while not great - and the forums are full of crap and you have to search through a lot to find what you want but there is also google, When I want to know something and can't find exactly what i want on the forums I google it because I am sure its on the forums but lost and I do not want to bombard a million people with a question that was answered yesterday and if I can't find it on google than I go to the forums. But in all honesty some of the the questions I have read are ridiculous and should be fairly common knowledge and it does get annoying opening a thread and reading it going back opening the next one and bam its the same question posted an hour after the last one. I usually don't comment on them but truth is it gets annoying.

If you see the thread has a topic you have already read or been involved with, or feel it is exhausted, THEN DO NOT OPEN IT. DO NOT READ IT. SKIP IT ENTIRELY. Really, is that tough?
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options

BEST MENTAL PICTURE EVER!!!:laugh: that is all

This made my morning!!!
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    But those people aren't writing a new book every time... If I have a question, I tend to search and see if it's already been asked and answered a hundred times before I create a new thread. Just me, I don't need everything spoon fed directly to me.

Neither do I. But some people do. Who am I to deny them that?

I just think everyone should be nice and respectful to each other. But obviously, we're on the internet, this shall never happen.

well aren't you special!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Wait...what? You want me to read? And not just comment....F-that!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Library no, books store maybe.:laugh:

As for the same questions over and over. There is a search option while not great - and the forums are full of crap and you have to search through a lot to find what you want but there is also google, When I want to know something and can't find exactly what i want on the forums I google it because I am sure its on the forums but lost and I do not want to bombard a million people with a question that was answered yesterday and if I can't find it on google than I go to the forums. But in all honesty some of the the questions I have read are ridiculous and should be fairly common knowledge and it does get annoying opening a thread and reading it going back opening the next one and bam its the same question posted an hour after the last one. I usually don't comment on them but truth is it gets annoying.

If you see the thread has a topic you have already read or been involved with, or feel it is exhausted, THEN DO NOT OPEN IT. DO NOT READ IT. SKIP IT ENTIRELY. Really, is that tough?

Yeah it is that tough when you feel a pull to help these poor people flopping around pointlessly and wasting their time frustrating themselves. Maybe it is easy for you to turn your back on people struggling with obstacles you've already overcome, but not everyone has such little empathy.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options

bababbahahahah!!!!! I would also like to watch, don't know if people do that but I bet there are some that roll their eyes at other's choices in books!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I like jerky...its tasty
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    But those people aren't writing a new book every time... If I have a question, I tend to search and see if it's already been asked and answered a hundred times before I create a new thread. Just me, I don't need everything spoon fed directly to me.

Neither do I. But some people do. Who am I to deny them that?

I just think everyone should be nice and respectful to each other. But obviously, we're on the internet, this shall never happen.

well aren't you special!

That's what the note my mom puts in my lunchbox everyday says!
  • Time4achange77
    Options
    Could not agree more and by the way.....well said. I love the analogy!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Can we just get back to arguing about the definition of water please? Okay, thanks.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    TOO MANY WORDS