CARBS ARE GOOD!

Options

Replies

• Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thats right i said it.

1.) Carbs are fuel, treat them as such and they will present no problem for you
    2.) no carb nazis get sick from not having carbs...proof enough?
    3.) i do realize there are bad carbs. if you need someone to tell you wheat bread is better than bleached white bread or to put down the cookie, then you have bigger problems.

I love carbs. They give me energy.
    AMEN! ME TOO!

The real secret to carbs, in my humble opinion, is to eat them before workouts early in the day and gradually eat less of them w/ each meal.

My dinner only consists of veggie carbs. no bread or flour carbs after like 3 pm ever.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that you shouldn't have carb heavy meals after 3pm?

It really doesn't make a difference. I usually have my most carb heavy meal around 8 o'clock.

I don't train till 5 o'clock so my last carb meal is around 6.30pm , if i trained at 7 my last carb meal would be 9pm...... personally i don't see that being a problem however everyones different i suppose.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it is me! :)

I think Tenster hit it on the head. And i'm not saying that cuz his no shirt on pic is hotter than mine.

I just really hate the carb nazi people. i think its bad advice especially for those people who work out a lot.

and sorry kitty cat person, you're not right. carbs before bed turn to sugar cuz you dont have enough time/energy output to burn them off.

good grief. do some research.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    <--- Works out @ 7 am. Still eats carbs @ 10pm.. Still drops weight.

Timing is irrelevant.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

Too a certain extent. If you are still below your calorie goal, you're right, you'll still lose weight, but those carbs STILL turn into sugar.

good grief are we snarky. why do i get a feeling you're a crazy cat woman w/ like 7 cats?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Thats right i said it.

3.) i do realize there are bad carbs. if you need someone to tell you wheat bread is better than bleached white bread or to put down the cookie, then you have bigger problems.

AMEN! ME TOO!

The real secret to carbs, in my humble opinion, is to eat them before workouts early in the day and gradually eat less of them w/ each meal.

My dinner only consists of veggie carbs. no bread or flour carbs after like 3 pm ever.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that you shouldn't have carb heavy meals after 3pm?

It really doesn't make a difference. I usually have my most carb heavy meal around 8 o'clock.

I don't train till 5 o'clock so my last carb meal is around 6.30pm , if i trained at 7 my last carb meal would be 9pm...... personally i don't see that being a problem however everyones different i suppose.

I think it all boil down to personal preference. I function better with high protein in the morning and delicious big carb meal at dinner time :D I am most active in the morning actually, but prefer to train fasted.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    Here's some research cat lady

Ok heres the deal. ALL COMPLEX CARBS ARE TURNED TO SIMPLE SUGARS(mono-,di-, and tri- and IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT. Complex carbs are simply polymers of simple sugars that are used mainly for energy storage (starch-glycogen) and structural scaffolds (like cellulose in plants). The saliva acid in your stomach begins the breakdown of complex carbs that greatly accelerates in the stomach, where the acid initiates the hydrolysis of complex carbs (starches) into simple carbs (sugars). This process happens quickly for some foods (white rice, mashed potato, and maltodextrin) and slowly for others (barley, black beans). This is where the GI comes in. GI measures (indirectly) the hydrolysis rate of these carbs into sugars and the insulin response. THe insulin response causes enzymatic and hormonal pathways to engage which do several things in the following "priorities", 1) fuel current energy requirements, 2) synthesis of glycogen(muscle and liver) for future use, and 3) synthesize triglycerides for energy storage (make fat). If you have no current energy needs(above that which to survive) and your glycogen stores are full, all of those carbs will be converted to fat. In the metabolic pathway, the conversion of glucose to pyruvate and finally acetyl CoA is irreversible and is dependant on the concentration of glucose (which is also where the idea that fat cannot be turned into sugar originates-due to the irrevisibility of the oxidation of pyruvate). THus the more glucose that enters your blood from any type of carb, the more stimulus there is to store it as fat. THe acetyl CoA formed is then assembled in the liver to fatty acids (Why is it not metabolized? this is because insulin shuts down the oxidation of acetyl CoA), triglycerides and then stored in the adipose tissue.
  • ToughTulip
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

Too a certain extent. If you are still below your calorie goal, you're right, you'll still lose weight, but those carbs STILL turn into sugar.

good grief are we snarky. why do i get a feeling you're a crazy cat woman w/ like 7 cats?

What is wrong with carbs turning into sugar?
    Glucose (sugar) is an excellent form of energy, brain's preferred source of energy, and don't forget that carbs are going to replenish glycogen. What time of the day it does this is irrelevent
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    Thats right i said it.

AMEN! ME TOO!

I think it all boil down to personal preference. I function better with high protein in the morning and delicious big carb meal at dinner time :D I am most active in the morning actually, but prefer to train fasted.

I noticed an increase in energy level if i carb up before i work out. i hate working out on a big meal too so i used to not eat, but i feel more long term energy if i eat something small like half a pb & j sandwich
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

Yeah, the whole timing when you eat certain foods is a myth. It might change how you feel, but it has no bearing on fat oxidation.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight in general boils down to calories in v calorie out however.... eating 14 kit kats a day is going to hinder your progress more than having 3 proper meals with the same calories. This is due to factors such as the hormonal state your body is put in and insulin sensitivity etc etc

Like the person above says, its personal preference really. If it works for you then great, if it doesn't then change it around. Personally i wouldn't eat carbs after 9pm if i haven't trained (i know of no evidence that this helps or hinders progress, its just my preference)
  • capnwo85
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

983451.gif
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

Glucose (sugar) is an excellent form of energy, brain's preferred source of energy, and don't forget that carbs are going to replenish glycogen. What time of the day it does this is irrelevent

But your point proves my point. If you glycogen levels are full (after you ate food all day) it will turn to sugar and therefor fat. see above post.
  • ToughTulip
    Options

Ok heres the deal. ALL COMPLEX CARBS ARE TURNED TO SIMPLE SUGARS(mono-,di-, and tri- and IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT. Complex carbs are simply polymers of simple sugars that are used mainly for energy storage (starch-glycogen) and structural scaffolds (like cellulose in plants). The saliva acid in your stomach begins the breakdown of complex carbs that greatly accelerates in the stomach, where the acid initiates the hydrolysis of complex carbs (starches) into simple carbs (sugars). This process happens quickly for some foods (white rice, mashed potato, and maltodextrin) and slowly for others (barley, black beans). This is where the GI comes in. GI measures (indirectly) the hydrolysis rate of these carbs into sugars and the insulin response. THe insulin response causes enzymatic and hormonal pathways to engage which do several things in the following "priorities", 1) fuel current energy requirements, 2) synthesis of glycogen(muscle and liver) for future use, and 3) synthesize triglycerides for energy storage (make fat). If you have no current energy needs(above that which to survive) and your glycogen stores are full, all of those carbs will be converted to fat. In the metabolic pathway, the conversion of glucose to pyruvate and finally acetyl CoA is irreversible and is dependant on the concentration of glucose (which is also where the idea that fat cannot be turned into sugar originates-due to the irrevisibility of the oxidation of pyruvate). THus the more glucose that enters your blood from any type of carb, the more stimulus there is to store it as fat. THe acetyl CoA formed is then assembled in the liver to fatty acids (Why is it not metabolized? this is because insulin shuts down the oxidation of acetyl CoA), triglycerides and then stored in the adipose tissue.

Descriptive, but the bold part is important in this discussion. If you are in a calorie deficit or maintaining the above will not occur. So it will not matter when you eat your carbs since you are not going above your energy needs.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

983451.gif

then go away :huh:
  • ToughTulip
    Options

Timing is irrelevant.

But your point proves my point. If you glycogen levels are full (after you ate food all day) it will turn to sugar and therefor fat. see above post.

if you are in a calorie deficit it will not turn into fat.
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

Descriptive, but the bold part is important in this discussion. If you are in a calorie deficit or maintaining the above will not occur. So it will not matter when you eat your carbs since you are not going above your energy needs.

i know i acknowledge that if you are below your cal goal, you wont get fat from carbs. and therefor it doesnt matter when you eat them...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Actually, carbs are *supposed* to turn into sugar (glucose).
  • ToughTulip
    Options

i know i acknowledge that if you are below your cal goal, you wont get fat from carbs. and therefor it doesnt matter when you eat them...

Meaning that when you eat your carbs is irrelevant. All personal preference.

I might just be lost of what the point of the post was, and if I was I apologize ^-^
  • capnwo85
    Options

Exactly. The majority of people here are eating at a deficit. So clearly it is not going to turn into fat now is it.