CARBS ARE GOOD!

Options

Replies

• Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The best and worst thing about the fitness and nutrition industry is that for every person's opinion, professional or not, there is a opinion from someone else which contradicts what they say. You can back up any argument with science or professional nutritionalists statements but the fact is, we will probably never know what is rite until we try it ourselves.

Breathe in Hate, breathe out love people!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The best and worst thing about the fitness and nutrition industry is that for every person's opinion, professional or not, there is a opinion from someone else which contradicts what they say. You can back up any argument with science or professional nutritionalists statements but the fact is, we will probably never know what is rite until we try it ourselves.

Hahahaha Excellent and well put!!!!!!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm....carbs *licks lips*

Perfect hangover breakfast includes carbs for me :tongue:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i've never seen a single research article supporting the notion that eating carbs before bed, or after a certain hour, will put fat on you. like most people are saying, its going above or below your calorie needs thats going to drive it.

As far as wether or not your glycogen stores are full, i'd say thats directly related to how many calories you need. so if you glycogen stores are full, then your probably exceeding your calorie needs anyways. maybe it would be more acurate to say that eating carbs at night (or any time) will only put on fat if you've eaten beyond your carbohydarte needs for the day.

though i'd disagree with that, if you ate a lot of processed sugar in one sitting, and were still below your daily carb needs, the insulin response would cause the sugar in your blood stream to be stored as fat. If you were still in a defecit for the day you probably wouldn't gain weight, but there would still be that biochemical reaction that added to your fat stores.

of course thats the same thing that makes processed sugars a GOOD idea post workout, the insulin resonse that is
  • Bridget0927
    Options

The best are the folks that jump on whatever the latest bandwagon is........ juicing, low carb, no carb, vegan, all organic, gluten free, etc. and ferociously try to sell you on it.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

No hate here, I just like discussing nutrition :)

There is 10000 way to lose weight. Just have to find the way that fits your person preference. I have a small set of "rules" I go by, and the rest depends on the day. Carb intake is on of them.

Studied dietetics and food science for 3 years so far at my university, and they preach about personal preference often!
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    i've never seen a single research article supporting the notion that eating carbs before bed, or after a certain hour, will put fat on you. like most people are saying, its going above or below your calorie needs thats going to drive it.

As far as wether or not your glycogen stores are full, i'd say thats directly related to how many calories you need. so if you glycogen stores are full, then your probably exceeding your calorie needs anyways. maybe it would be more acurate to say that eating carbs at night (or any time) will only put on fat if you've eaten beyond your carbohydarte needs for the day.

though i'd disagree with that, if you ate a lot of processed sugar in one sitting, and were still below your daily carb needs, the insulin response would cause the sugar in your blood stream to be stored as fat. If you were still in a defecit for the day you probably wouldn't gain weight, but there would still be that biochemical reaction that added to your fat stores.

of course thats the same thing that makes processed sugars a GOOD idea post workout, the insulin resonse that is

Good points!!

I just really think carbs have been getting a bad rep lately. I think they have their time and their place and if you use common sense, they can be a wonderful thing.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    For anyone that might be interested in a good read:

Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

No hate here, I just like discussing nutrition :)

There is 10000 way to lose weight. Just have to find the way that fits your person preference. I have a small set of "rules" I go by, and the rest depends on the day. Carb intake is on of them.

Studied dietetics and food science for 3 years so far at my university, and they preach about personal preference often!

i thought the seargent and i had a very pleasant discussion!

i agree w/ the listening to ones own body thing. that is super important
  • Tenster
    Options

Look what a quick google search brought up......

''If you find you’re gaining too much fat then you should cut out carbs after 7pm. Unless you have a fast metabolism, eating carbs late at night is generally not a good idea. Your body does not need the energy while you’re sleeping so it’s likely to store the carbs as fat''

Source - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/carbohydrates-and-bodybuilding.html

Like i said, you can find anything to back up statements if you look.

Regards
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    also think the post about people confusing the term 'grains' with 'carbs' is very accurate.

here are my general guidelines for determining good and carbs:

- Most carbs that don't come pre-packaged are good for you (fruits, veggies, and i'd include starches such as potatoes, but sweet potatoes are better)

- if its made of grain, and it tastes good, its got a high glycemic index (bad carb)
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options
    also think the post about people confusing the term 'grains' with 'carbs' is very accurate.

- Most carbs that don't come pre-packaged are good for you (fruits, veggies, and i'd include starches such as potatoes, but sweet potatoes are better)

- if its made of grain, and it tastes good, its got a high glycemic index (bad carb)

this is what i meant by the common sense stuff. Asparagus = good carb. Oreo cookie = baaaaaaad carb....

well duh.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options

That's how I see it too.

Course I do everything bad in moderation... :bigsmile:
  • Tenster
    Options

I agree, your best off getting your carbs from the source pax states above.

In my opinion i would keep away from breads, most people can't digest wheat properly hence the bloated feeling after eating it. Only my opinion though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    To be fair, PROCESSED carbs are bad. As are processed sugars

And processed meats. And processed dairy. And trans fat. And some saturated fats.

There are plenty of foods that are not especially good for us, regardless of the macronutrient content.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options

^ this

Good lord! One man's meat is another man's poison. If your plan works for you then WHY would you feel the need to go on an anti carb war. For every " I love carbs" person there will be someone that can give you many examples why low carbing ( not no carbs) works for them.

Live and let live ( end of cliches :smokin: )
  • Tenster
    Options
    Everybody friends now?......Good!
  • Dunkelheit666
    Options

^ this

Good lord! One man's meat is another man's poison. If your plan works for you then WHY would you feel the need to go on an anti carb war. For every " I love carbs" person there will be someone that can give you many examples why low carbing ( not no carbs) works for them.

If people can avoid being penis wrinkles, convos like this can be very beneficial/learning tools.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Look what a quick google search brought up......

''If you find you’re gaining too much fat then you should cut out carbs after 7pm. Unless you have a fast metabolism, eating carbs late at night is generally not a good idea. Your body does not need the energy while you’re sleeping so it’s likely to store the carbs as fat''

Source - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/carbohydrates-and-bodybuilding.html

Like i said, you can find anything to back up statements if you look.

Regards

That's not a study. It's a blog. :wink:
  • Bridget0927
    Options

^ this

If people can avoid being penis wrinkles, convos like this can be very beneficial/learning tools.

HAHAHHAHAHAH Penis Wrinkle has to be my favorite! Lets not forget to thank those penis wrinkles for making us look like super smooth beautiful ones :-)