New people...sigh

Options

Replies

• saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different levels of commitment and the only commitment anyone should be questioning is their own.

And as someone else pointed out, titling this post "New people...sigh" is just condescending and makes you look like an *kitten*. That was really unkind and unnecessary.

FOR ANY NEW PEOPLE OUT THERE: just ignore people like this. They clearly have their own issues and those issues don't have ANYthing to do with you or your visit to this site. The rest of us are friendly and supportive! :flowerforyou:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    probably the same reason people fill out their profile incorrectly to say they're 33 and then say in their profile that they're 32...*cough* poster *cough*
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid someone I know will see me and be critical and nonsupportive. So I use an alias and don't post a picture. It has nothing to do with my commitment.

this is sort of my reason. i use my real name though. i might change that or i might just get over the fear and put a picture up.

i've also been very active on another website for years that is completely anonymous for almost everyone. due to that, anonymity on the internet is sort of ingrained in me.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    You are.

"just sayin"
    While we are being pedantistic, that should, of course, be "just saying"

just... Oh! I see - it's a saying inserted to take the heat out of something potentially insulting or offensive?

Hmmm? Guess what ...!

not to be pedantic... but I don't think pedantistic is a word

Edit: Just saying...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    my phone does phone calls - takes pictures too but I've never worked out how to get them off it. I do this stuff through my netbook.
    I can't type with my thumb.
    I am an MFP failure, obviously

The 90s called and they said they took a message from the 60s saying they want you back.

Just playing nothing but love.
  • WaltSeher
    Options
    Cause I'm trying to figure out how the hell you take a picture with this webcam!!! :p
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    ZzzZzzZzz
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    all in good time.

MFP has a very convincing effect on people :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Who put you in charge of who's serious or not?

Other relevant posts by the OP include:
    Sigh, people drive me nuts when they don't use the the right forums for their questions. This belongs in food and nutrition.
    There is a sticky on this forum telling you how to post pics. Sigh
    I just cleaned out my friends list and are looking for more active, supportive members that are serious about their journey.

I really hope I don't come off as judgmental because it is not my intention at all. I have just learned from experience the qualities I would like in new friends. I would rather get 1 quality friend rather then 100 that I don't mesh with.

1. I would prefer my friends to have an HRM. Mostly because I feel MFP estimates/ cardio machine numbers are inaccurate and its a pet peeve of mine. How are suppose to know your calories in/calories out if your guessing? We are not suppose to do that would food, why would we do that with exercise? Saying that, I do have some friends that do not have HRMs but they always underestimate the calories burned because I think they have enough experience to know their numbers. If you are one of those people, great. I'm okay with that.

2. Be active. I know that sometimes life gets in the way and you cant comment on others statuses. I totally understand. But...if all you do is write about yourself and never support others. That's just not something I want to be involved in. I take time to read your diary, support you through your struggles, help with my own experiences, Id expect you to do the same.

3. Be accountable. If you mess up-okay, its part of the journey. If something is wrong and you keep making the same mistake, just keep talking about it and analyzing it until you figure it out. I have had a hard 2 weeks and have had the worst food issues I have had in the last 2 years of my journey. I will figure it out though and I will have to deal with the repercussions. That is totally on me. Its fine if you fall, just accept it and pick yourself back up. :)

4. Eat. If you cant go without a certain food for the rest of your life, don't cut it out now. Find a way to incorporated it because a healthy lifestyle is about finding balance, not depriving yourself of the things you love. Anything below a 1200 calorie diet is not something I am supportive of.

5. If you don't have a picture(doesn't have to be of you but anything) on your profile, If you haven't filled out your profile, If you sent a friend request without a message...nope. If you haven't taken the time to do those things, well, it makes me think that your not committed.

6. No boobs or butts. Simple-your trying to get unhealthy attention. Save it for eharmony

7. Be nice, Talk about your life. Talk about anything. I want to get to know you. I wanna be friends and not just some faceless avatar behind a computer screen.

Okay...I really hope I didn't come off as too harsh. I think why I am being so blunt is that most of my life I was always shy about asking for what I wanted or placing boundaries where I needed them. That lead to a lot of resentment and being unhappy with the way my relationships went. If only I asked for what I wanted, things would have turned out differently. I only have one life and its my choice on how I want to live it.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. Much love <3

In response to "How do I get past a plateau?"
    First thing. Put a picture on your profile. Its a huge pet peeve of mine. It doesn't have to be your face. It can be anything but to me, Its super important.

I think you may be seriously overly concerned with what others do on this site. lol.

Just sayin'. :flowerforyou:
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

People can be on this site without filling out their information. A lot of my friends are like that and they log in daily. So whether they have a picture or avatar or filled out their personal information doesn't matter to me. Now if they haven't logged in for months then that is not being dedicated. So who gives a **** whether you post a pic or a few pieces of info on their profile. May I just suggest you worry about your own self and your own profile instead of judging others. JUST SAYING
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have never posted here before and am likely to post only very rarely, but this motivated me. I am here to lose weight, not to socialize, your honor.

Love this^^^^
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

not to be pedantic... but I don't think pedantistic is a word

Aha! Gotcha!
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

get off your high horse

just sayin
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Just sayin

here is a quarter.

go buy some get over yourself.

Lol!!! Oh I am so using that

Me too^^^
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Who put you in charge of who's serious or not?

Other relevant posts by the OP include:
    Sigh, people drive me nuts when they don't use the the right forums for their questions. This belongs in food and nutrition.
    There is a sticky on this forum telling you how to post pics. Sigh
    I just cleaned out my friends list and are looking for more active, supportive members that are serious about their journey.

I really hope I don't come off as judgmental because it is not my intention at all. I have just learned from experience the qualities I would like in new friends. I would rather get 1 quality friend rather then 100 that I don't mesh with.

1. I would prefer my friends to have an HRM. Mostly because I feel MFP estimates/ cardio machine numbers are inaccurate and its a pet peeve of mine. How are suppose to know your calories in/calories out if your guessing? We are not suppose to do that would food, why would we do that with exercise? Saying that, I do have some friends that do not have HRMs but they always underestimate the calories burned because I think they have enough experience to know their numbers. If you are one of those people, great. I'm okay with that.

2. Be active. I know that sometimes life gets in the way and you cant comment on others statuses. I totally understand. But...if all you do is write about yourself and never support others. That's just not something I want to be involved in. I take time to read your diary, support you through your struggles, help with my own experiences, Id expect you to do the same.

3. Be accountable. If you mess up-okay, its part of the journey. If something is wrong and you keep making the same mistake, just keep talking about it and analyzing it until you figure it out. I have had a hard 2 weeks and have had the worst food issues I have had in the last 2 years of my journey. I will figure it out though and I will have to deal with the repercussions. That is totally on me. Its fine if you fall, just accept it and pick yourself back up. :)

4. Eat. If you cant go without a certain food for the rest of your life, don't cut it out now. Find a way to incorporated it because a healthy lifestyle is about finding balance, not depriving yourself of the things you love. Anything below a 1200 calorie diet is not something I am supportive of.

5. If you don't have a picture(doesn't have to be of you but anything) on your profile, If you haven't filled out your profile, If you sent a friend request without a message...nope. If you haven't taken the time to do those things, well, it makes me think that your not committed.

6. No boobs or butts. Simple-your trying to get unhealthy attention. Save it for eharmony

7. Be nice, Talk about your life. Talk about anything. I want to get to know you. I wanna be friends and not just some faceless avatar behind a computer screen.

Okay...I really hope I didn't come off as too harsh. I think why I am being so blunt is that most of my life I was always shy about asking for what I wanted or placing boundaries where I needed them. That lead to a lot of resentment and being unhappy with the way my relationships went. If only I asked for what I wanted, things would have turned out differently. I only have one life and its my choice on how I want to live it.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. Much love <3

In response to "How do I get past a plateau?"
    First thing. Put a picture on your profile. Its a huge pet peeve of mine. It doesn't have to be your face. It can be anything but to me, Its super important.

I think you may be seriously overly concerned with what others do on this site. lol.

Just sayin'. :flowerforyou:

tumblr_lpio0okUMJ1qh17feo1_500.gif

Actually I lied, I know exactly whats going on. She has the case of "I'm elitest and better than thou". I wonder if she's one of them folks who's car alarm goes off all night long and then they cry when somebody keys their car or a slashed tire or have a rock thrown through the window with a note telling them to please be polite with others
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    So, I can't figure out how to put my "Ticker" on my profile - does this mean I am not a contender?
  • robinr515
    Options
    I agree with you completely. This is my first post, and there probably won't be another one for a while. I use Facebook to socialize, and was under the impression that the forums on MFP were for help and support, not a b**** fest.
  • katie070563
    Options

Just sayin

Human Rights....Personal Privacy and Personal Liberty........dare I say, freedom of choice even???
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You sound like a hoot, OP.
  • Amatambi
    Options
    It's funny because the OP hasn't even said anything else, yet the same people keep badgering her about it. Perhaps she just needed to vent. A lot of the time things don't come out right when it's a "I just need to get this out" kind of thing.

I agree that there are people who join, don't do anything, and are never heard from again. But as everyone else has said already, there are a lot of people who are serious about becoming fit, but have reasons to just not do the social part of it. There's nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it was fair how she grouped everyone into the former, but sometimes people just need to get something out. Albeit the forums aren't exactly the greatest place for that. Oh well, life goes on.

In the mean time, hope you have a better day OP if someone pissed you off, or something.