Do you eat before or after your exercise?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Before and after.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    ^ agree. I usually have something small before my workout and eat something larger or a protein smoothie after.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i eat before and after
  • Mslajackson
    Mslajackson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    after
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    my workouts usually come later in the evening after work and kids so i have usually already had dinner then i go work-out...sometimes i have a small snack afterwards as well depending on if im hungry or not. On the weekends when I am able to get a morning work-out in, it usually (not always) comes before I eat, but I don't like to eat in the morning really anyway.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You should always eat before doing any exercise
    if you exercise on a hungry stomach you gonna lose muscle weight not fat weight

says who?

I have been training fasted for nine weeks now and I have increased strength and muscle
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I always eat after. I always feel terrible when I work out with a full stomach. Just be sure to drink lots of water beforehand.

^^ This. Even if I wait 1/2 - 1 hour it's still no good.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

says who?

I have been training fasted for nine weeks now and I have increased strength and muscle

Who is to say you wouldn't have gained more if you did? :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

says who?

Who is to say you wouldn't have gained more if you did? :wink:

interesting point...but whenever I ate before work out I felt lethargic ...training fasted I just feel like I have more energy ..I guess it is a body thing...but I am not sure about the losing muscle thing if you train on empty stomach...??
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the evening. I often eat dinner and wait 45 min. drive to the gym 15 more min. then work out and eat a snack after. I don't know if that is good or bad...
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you're really hungry, eat something small. Like a banana or an apple. Just something to put something in you but not fill you up.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I eat 1hr before workout... I eat every 3hrs and my workout lasts 1.5-2hrs... So only makes sense for me :-P
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    both
  • pickledginger
    Options
    A little box of raisins is supposed to make a good pre-workout snack. Or a small banana.
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal. Since my primary goal is fat loss, I always try to train in a fasted state which helps with fat burning. I notice even better fat loss results if I wait until a couple of hours after high intensity cardio to eat. If I was trying to build mass, I'd probably be eating frequently including before and after strength training.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Ever since I read that Sumo wrestlers traditionally have packed on the pounds by exercising on an empty stomach, then eating a high-carb meal, then taking a nap -- lather, rinse, repeat -- I have tried to avoid that pattern!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This is like when you have to pee but you're thirsty! Which to do first!?
    You gotta drink first - because if you drink after you pee, you're replacing the water you just got rid of. :tongue:

(Spawned from the rationale that if you eat after working out, you're replacing the calories you just burned.

anybody know where i can grab the brass ring (on this merry-go-round) :wink: