SAHM 1/25/10 - 1/31/10

Options

Replies

• staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    MOM: so *, what do you think of the treat?
    KID: amazing

(mom smiles HUGE) one of those makes it all worth it (see...i'm not hard to please)
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    You are all such a great supportive group of ladies. I'm so glad that I found this group. I've been reading all the posts and trying to keep up! Today was my one day a week that I simply cannot make it to the gym, I traditionally use it as a "lazy" day but I got up and did a WF+ workout instead so I could earn a few extra calories. I am beginning to find myself less hungry and feeling full after I eat proper portions of food. I began using a smaller plate (so it looks fuller I guess) and I am not feeling compelled to overeat nearly as much. Tonight I had buffalo chicken strips, sweet potato fries (baked) and homemade coleslaw. I ate regular servings sizes of each thing and I was stuffed! Who knew that after only 10 days I could be satisfied by only 2 chicken strips! I would normally eat 6 at least.
    Back to the gym tomorrow.
    Do any of you know how accurate the WF+ balance board is as a scale? It says I weigh about 4lbs less than the gym scale says. They are the only two things I have access to so Idk which one is right...I've been using the gym scale numbers because they are higher and I assume the worst when it comes to my weight :)
    Have a blessed evening everyone, off to do my taxes!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Melissa, I feel quite confident in my wii board as a scale. It's only 1 lb lower than my home scale. I would say that's pretty close. The calories WF+ says you burn are WAAAAAY low, though! 350 on WF+ for me is more like 500 on my Polar HRM.

Your dinner sounded fabu. It feels so long since I had buffalo wings. My favorite were the ones at Applebees. Ohhhh, baby!

Isn't it amazing how our bodies conform to what we want them to do over time? This is just another reason I'd like to remind all of you that we are MOM MACHINES! We do it all, and more. Take pride and power from that knowledge, and let it fuel you throughout the day.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    trish--where did you get that solid sense of self and purpose? it is amazing to me!
    you remind me of a good friend of mine who is an orthodox jewish woman married to a rabbi (tho he is not leading a congregation at this point). she has this incredible support network where they are constantly learning and reinforcing the importance of their roles of wives and mothers and women in the community.
    you both so graciously share your wisdom and spirit!

melissa-glad you are finding this group helpful. like nicole said earlier--sometimes i'll post on other msgs and then kick myself and crawl away to here--a truly safe spot. :) personally, i take pride in how kind and yet motivating we are for each other.
    i don't have a wii but one q--is it on carpet or solid floor when you weigh? i think it may be LESS accurate if you're on a soft surface. just a thought. cuz i'm no scientist.

rdg about your dinner inspired me to eat an apple with my dinner. it's sure to help fill me and i certainly could use the extra fruit/vege category.

hope everyone else is enjoying the end of their day. catch ya later
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Well, broke one of my goals today and had soda...:cry: It was because I went out to eat and they messed up my drink order...really no excuse I could have sent it back for tea, but well, it looked so good and cold. But no big deal, tomorrow's another day and no sodas in the house so I should be safe. I've been going "off" my meal planning a bit, but staying pretty healthy overall. Curse the Girl Scouts and their infernal cookie concoctions! They're not even that good!!! But I find myself going back for another and another... I'm staying under my goals, but I've been doing that for weeks and seen no results, I really have to stick with HEALTHY stuff. I WILL do better tomorrow. I need to drink 1.5 more water bottles before bed to reach my gallon, so gonna get chugging.
    Amy and Kim, I think it is awesome the home renovations ya'll are doing. I get tired just painting my home, so can only imagine the work involved in tiling a bathroom or putting in a living room floor. Props to both of you. Kim, check in whenever you get time. We'll be thinking of you and cheering the return of your long awaited bathroom.
    Amy-I think it's so hard to resist treating yourself for a job well done! It might help to have rewards other than food rewards though. Definitely space them out, like the pizza and mexican food...woo doozy. Maybe try having mexican early in the week and then pizza on Fri or something...that way you don't go WAY over on any one day, kwim? Thanks for remembering about the babysitting thing. I feel bad because I find myself really irritated about the whole thing. See, I don't know if I mentioned before, but not only am I taking on this extra responsibility, but I'm doing it FREE. So this week, the boy has gotten more comfortable and has become very whiny and a little hyperactive. Everything my son does is wrong and mean to this child, and it's so hard not to take sides. I'm really working on getting them to figure their probs out among themselves, it's prime age for them to learn that. But it's a real work in progress. And with it being so cold we can't spend alot of time outdoors, so I try to entertain the kids with board games-which my son loves, but the other boy couldn't even get through one round of Twister (an active game!) He kept break dancing and rolling all over the floor then jumping and skipping everywhere! And he gets loud and wakes my daughter from her nap sometimes. He has a 6mo sister at home, so I thought he'd know better, but have to constantly remind him. Luckily yesterday and today were sunny, so we spent time at the park. To top it all off both boys (the one I'm keeping and my son) come home STARVING after school since lunch is served at 11:00 and they get home about 3:30. So they have 3 snacks each afternoon plus juice or milk. Well, after the first day I kept the boy I asked his dad (who picks him up) if he could put a drink and snack in the boy's backpack each day, since $ for snacks can really add up. And the next day he sent plenty of snacks and a juice box. I think they sent snack ONE other day, and the boy didn't even eat it, ate my food instead. So I keep reminding him to bring his snack, a snack he would like, and he keeps forgetting. So yesterday I asked his mom (had to call her) to send him with a snack, or I could provide a snack if she'd pay me a little each week. But nothing again today! I may have to back out of this. Next week, his mother has the week off, so I won't have him. Maybe I just need the break, but will def have to put my foot down about the snack. IDK, might be a good time to stop. Wow, didn't realize I'd been holding all that in. Whew. Anyway Amy, great job fitting in the walk to get kids from school and getting the floor done. That sense of accomplishment shines through your email.

Trish-good job pushing it on that treadmill today. Way to show it who's boss. Does sound like you overdid a little to feel queasy afterward, but sometimes it's a refreshing feeling. Like being really sore after pilates or something.

Nicole-I know exactly what you mean by the short fuse. And usually it's because I feel belittled in some way, like no one hears me, or I haven't had my say. It goes back to me being the middle child and always feeling like I got no attention since my mom was emotionally checked out and it took everything she had to "deal with" my brother. Makes me think of the nightmare you had recently about yelling at a friend. Definitely sounds like unresolved issues somewhere in your life. Maybe time to take out some trash if you know what I mean. I felt so much better after socking it to the HVAC guys and just in general "getting my way" because it happens so rarely for me.

Stacey- I am right there with you on the baking=love front. I bake with my son about once a week, and it's so hard now that I'm trying to do this healthier lifestyle. Something I've started doing to get that time with him in the kitchen is let him help me slice veggies with a butter knife for stir fry, or gently stir chicken that I'm sauteeing. But there's nothing like a genuine sweet baked treat and I think as long as it's occasional then you and the kids so deserve it. Keep grinning, mom, you did good!

Melissa-I know what you mean by not wanting to take a true "day off" of working out. It becomes so addictive! The WF+ is perfect for a light calorie burn. I agree with Trish, the scale has always been pretty accurate for me. The only problem is when I don't set on the carpet right (I try to keep it in the same spot each time) or if I estimate the weight of my clothes incorrectly. Plus, the gym scale is probably with shoes on, right? Basically, you just want to stay consistent on your check-ins, so record the weight on the scale you will use most often.

Hmm, hope I didn't miss anyone. Well, gotta put son to bed now. Talk to ya'll in the am.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Wow, Stacey & Jr, big posts!

Stacey, I think you'll be able to relate (and probably your friend, too), a sense of self and purpose comes from God. For all things are possible through God. He made us. We are incredible in design, if you stop to think about it. The fact that we are able to carry children, and bare them into this world, almost touching that gray threshold of death to do it. It's amazing. If I can give birth, what else is my body capable of? Why stop at 1 simple task? Why not push it to its limits? I don't have much to lose. Pain is just fear leaving the body, and what doesn't immediately kill you, makes you immeasurably stronger.

Also, we must always remember that children are God's greatest gift. Without them, there would be no other way to truly understand sacrifice and unconditional love. Motherhood is next to sainthood for a reason!

Jr-- if the babysitting is stressing you out that much, then it's definitely time to reconsider. Especially if the kid is eating you out of house and home! I KNOW what milk costs, sister! It's not cheap. Might as well be giving the kid steak & wine, heh.

Everyone else, sleep well & see you in the morning!
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Well it has been one extremely long day but THE TILE IS LAID. There were numerous delays--hubby going in to work, pump on the tile saw not working, etc. But I am soooo happy with the result. Needless to say there was no workout today but man I am going to feel this tomorrow. Too much kneeling and up and down off the floor. Pictures tomorrow on my blog. For now I am going to bed!

Talk to you all in the am!

Kim
  • amypyr
    amypyr Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Well, it's after midnight here, so I'm going to keep this short. DH didn't get to Lowes for the new feet for the couches, so the living room isn't back together. He e-mailed me earlier today that he was going to look at an HDTV he found cheap on Craigslist for our bedroom. We only have 1 TV in the house. He got the tv, so I wasn't upset about the living room. The idea of having no entertainment during his Superbowl party. . . :noway:

I did make my goals today! 9 cups of water and ate fewer cals than yesterday. I was ONLY 1200 over today! LOL I got hit with the snacking bug this afternoon. Not good. But tomorrow is another day!

Have a great night! :flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    amy--you are doing great--those small successes add up and will keep you going on this journey! 9 cups of water is impressive. i still make it to 7-8 and that's it.

hope y'all have a good am! i better get lunch made and hurry it up. bell rings in 20min! later--
  • amypyr
    Options
    Stacey, I think you'll be able to relate (and probably your friend, too), a sense of self and purpose comes from God. For all things are possible through God. He made us. We are incredible in design, if you stop to think about it. The fact that we are able to carry children, and bare them into this world, almost touching that gray threshold of death to do it. It's amazing. If I can give birth, what else is my body capable of? Why stop at 1 simple task? Why not push it to its limits? I don't have much to lose. Pain is just fear leaving the body, and what doesn't immediately kill you, makes you immeasurably stronger.

Also, we must always remember that children are God's greatest gift. Without them, there would be no other way to truly understand sacrifice and unconditional love. Motherhood is next to sainthood for a reason!

Wow! Trish, those words are powerful!!!

Jr - It does sound like the babysitting is stressing you out too much. Snacks for your own children can be expensive enough. And it would be one thing if they were paying you, but that is costing you way too much financially and mentally. I babysat my bff's dd. She paid me because she said she would have to pay someone, so she'd rather give the money to someone she knew loved her dd & who needed the money. She also supplied lunches for her dd & for my 2 kids. I didn't think she needed to provide lunch for my 2 as well, but she wanted to make sure all kids were having the same thing. But that was just the kind of person she was.

Kim - Yay to the new floor!!! I can't wait to see pictures!!

Stacey - I love baking too, although I don't get to do it much anymore. I think the most fun I've had baking was when the kids & I baked dh's birthday cake last year. They even helped me decorate it for him using decorations & candles from past birthdays. He had a beautiful cake with trains and princesses on it! :laugh: He loved it! I don't think it's so much about baking treats as it is the good memories you're making with your children. They will always remember the time together, not so much what you did, but that you were together.
  • amypyr
    Options
    Stacey, thank you for the encouragement!

I realized my goal of walking to pick up the kids won't work today since Samantha has piano lesson right after school. My treadmill isn't in place yet (hopefully tonight), but I can finally do my exercise DVD in the living room (lots of extra space in there at the moment! :wink: ). So my goals for today:

Eat fewer cals than yesterday
    Log everything I put in my mouth (did you know that a tiny little dum dum lollipop has 51 cals?! :noway: )
    Drink 9 cups of water
    Do part of my exercise DVD

Here's to a great day! :drinker:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Gm everyone.

Jr- I think you are right, I actually do have some bottled up emotions going on right now. I think you should feel empowered with the babysitting thing just as you did with the HVAC guy and either call it quits or lay down the ground rules before they come back. Maybe they will find someone else next week!

Amy- Great goals to have! Yay for the floor!

Kim- I would count doing the tile as exercise, it's above and beyond what you normally do!

Trish- How are you feeling today?

Stacey- Are you baking anything yummy today? can you send it my way? I am in hte mood for yummy treats!

Me- another busy day, but the great news is tomorrow is going to be fun! Kyle has a school outing at a science museum! Yay!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Morning, ladies. This morning I am SLEEPY. Poor hubs was up coughing all night. At about 3:30 he said he was afraid he was waking Grace up (we all share the room) and went to lay on the couch, but when we got up, he said he didn't fall asleep till 6:30. He just left to go to the doctors and hopefully get set up with some awesome codeine laden cough syrup! I also told him to stop by the theater afterwards and see if he could scratch from the race on Saturday and get his $20 back. I don't think he will be able to run. Grace has sniffles anyway, so all in all this is a blessing in disguise. I didn't want her out in the cold, and didn't know who would be willing to come over before 8 am on a Saturday to watch her so we could go to the race. With Andy sick, it means I don't have to worry about that problem anymore.
    I hope I won't be too lonely on Saturday. But then I've spent the last few weeks alone on the treadmill. I don't think there's much difference. At least I have Steve & his rad tunes.
    When Grace goes down for nap, I will trot off to gym to do a light run with hill intervals, and hopefully be back before she wakes up. It has worked the last couple days when I went & had my friend watch her.

Stir fry for dinner tonight, but we're out of chicken, so will use pork instead. Will need to stop by store after gym & get jar of duck sauce, since we are out.

Hope you all have a wonderful afternoon. Check back with ya'll later ;)
  • amypyr
    Options
    Nicole - Have fun at the Science museum tomorrow! Those are always a lot of fun!

I went to McDonald's this morning (yeah, not good), but instead of ordering the 2 breakfast burrito meal, I just ordered the 2 breakfast burritos w/ my coffee (sugar free nonfat vanilla latte). I ate around 9:30 as usual, but today, It's past the time I usually eat lunch and I'm not hungry! I ate less and am feeling full longer! Makes me wonder just what IS in those hashbrowns! On second thought. . . maybe I don't want to know! :laugh:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    funny amy! trish sorry you are not all recovering so well--espec andy! i give my kids cough syrup too--on purpose to drug them to sleep--when they have a cold. in any case, hope he feels better.

nicole i was thinking of you when i was reading a book. it's called the book of new family traditions. one valentine's day tradition she mentioned is getting a new tree each year and then after a while you'd have a whole valentine's grove. thought that'd be cool given that you have actual property to even create a grove. (obviously i am living vicariously thru you--cuz i just have the rock yard! hehe)
    and sorry but no new treats today!

y'know---i really wish they'd put the smiley's back on the side!

catch ya later
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Just got back from rec center. Walked a brisk mile on the TM doing hill intervals, almost 6 miles on the bike, and another mile on the eliptical. Afterwards, I ran to Wally World to get duck sauce for dinner, and picked up a treat for Andy & I. Bolthouse Farms makes an amazing super juice called C-Boost. It's all natural, no preservatives, and 1200% vitamin c! It's relatively low sugar, too! Only 150 cals per serving, 15 sodium, and 36 carbs, 30 of which are fruit sugars. I got 2 of them. One for Andy, to help get better, and one for me to keep me healthy!

I am glad to be done with running workouts for the week. Friday I will just do Wii BL, and then run the race on Saturday. I hope Andy is better by then so we can go grocery shopping after the race.

While driving in the car, I decided I would make a goal for February: Be able to run a mile straight through by March 1. It's a big task, but I know I'm strong, and every week I get a little faster (4 mph to 6 mph jog in a week). I think this is a reasonable goal, considering the C25K program will have me going the full 5k distance by March 23. March 1 should be a half way point.

So already I'm starting to scout out another 5k for late March or early April. This time Andy should be healthy! The weather will be warmer. I'll make sure he keeps going to the gym. I am tempted to get him an iPod for Valentines just so he can get the PodRunner pod casts & help train him too.

Okay, now I'm rambling.

Tell me about your day, girls!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Stacey- you are too funny! I do really like that valentine's grove idea! That is really neat!

Trish- That is a great idea to find another race. I like to call them my goal races. I keep signing up for my goal races, so it keeps me on target. Otherwise, I would just slack off! You will be running a full mile before you know it! I was thinking of you today when I did my run. I think it is wise that you strongly consider going to a running store and getting different shoes if you are going to continue running. They can actually watch you run and actually recommend what type of shoes would be good for you. I actually take it a step further and I buy inserts for my shoes. I take out the inserts that come in the shoes and I put other ones in. I don't feel like I get enough cushion without them. The extra inserts is entirely up to you. But i do recommend going ot the running store. Your body will thank you. :flowerforyou: I can't wait to hear about your race on sat!

Amy- That's good that you chose wisely at McDonald's!

I am off to finish cooking dinner. Having baked chicken breasts, salad and pasta for the kids and Andy, me, a small baked potato!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I intend to get new running shoes further down the road from an actual running store, but the ones I wear now are running shoes I bought the day I signed up for the race. I'd prefer to get some wear & tear on them before spending more money, since I just spent money. KWIM?
    The ones I got automatically roll your foot forward when you land and are really comfortable. I was having shin & side-knee pain with my old shoes (the ones I wear on an every day basis). Haven't had problems with these yet.

Did you have a productive run? Thanks for thinking of me :)
  • nicolee516
    Options
    I did have a productive run, thanks for asking Trish! Woah! I burnt so many calories today, there is no way I will eat them back! HA! I burnt 1300 and some odd cals!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I burnt 1300 and some odd cals!

Dude.