SAHM 1/25/10 - 1/31/10

Options

Replies

• curliegirl
    Options
    Hi all! Sounds like everyone is having a great week! Mine has been good just busy. Today I woke to a beautiful floor that has promise of being usable SOON. We have a full weekend so no work until maybe Saturday night if either of us has any energy left. This is why it has taken so long to get it fixed. Slow and steady--kinda like loosing weight huh?

There are so many things that I missed in the last 48 hours! You guys have really become my friends. Hubby keeps looking over my shoulder wondering who I am chatting with! He has his own group of "Call of Duty" guys he hangs out with online. Mine is more supportive for sure! Prayers for all of you who needed, tears with those who are down, laughter to you who are CRAZY, cheers for those doing well. Hope I hit everyone with that and if I missed you sorry! {HUGS}

Woke today to some really sore muscles in the back of my legs so I have been moving really slow. We had a pretty normal day until dd said--my tummy doesn't feel good while we were at piano lessons. That changed my errand plans! So hubby and I had a date tonight so I could get my errands done. I did well with the calories even with just choosing off the menu w/o knowing what I "could" eat.

Tomorrow's goals--water water water, walk/job tomorrow afternoon, stay with in 250 of my calories. This will be challenging because I have a scrapbooking night with some friends. I have a hard time not munching! The exercise will help with making my extra eating okay.

I am SO tired tonight so I am off to bed early.

Kim
  • amypyr
    amypyr Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Kim - I can understand projects taking a long time. I know you're excited about this one getting close to completion!

I made all but one of my goals today. I drank all 9 cups of water, logged everything I ate, and ate fewer calories than yesterday. I only ate 915 over today! Things were too busy this evening to get my exercise in. So, my goals tomorrow are:

Log everything
    Drink 9 cups of water
    Eat no more than 800 cals over
    do part of the exercise DVD

DH made it to Lowe's tonight & got the new feet for the couches. Unfortunately, he's spent the last 2 hours asleep on the couch, so the living room isn't back together. Getting closer! :smile: Well, time to wake up dh to get to bed!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound kind of shallow compared to what we normally chat about, but last night I was day dreaming about all the cute clothes I will be able to wear when I get to my goal weight. I've already told hubby I would like a shopping spree for my birthday in September.
    So what do I do? I hop on to a website of a store I always pass in the mall. You know, one of those trendy young folgie stores. Stores that I would never dare set foot in, because all I see inside are super model skinny shop clerks.
    Aaaand... I started making a wish list to show hubby & my Mom.
    So what am I getting at? I dunno. I just wanted to share some of the crazy, colorful stuff I'm looking forward to fitting into this fall!

http://www.buckle.com/account/wishlist_view.jsp?registry_code=66e377cb7ce45305b93708633175724d16fd1c6c2f5fb398&bmUID=1264780583012

My favorite is the tie-dye hoodie. I'm a sucker for tie dye.

Andy kinda had sticker shock as I put some of the stuff in the list, but I told him by the time I fit into them, they will be on clearance!

Anyway, back to the more important stuff.

Rah, rah, rah! Sis, boom, bah! Drink that water! GO, GO, GO!

What's everyone's plans for the day? :)
    Easy day for me. Just Wii BL workout, maybe some laundry. Probably a nap! Tex-Mex Meatloaf for dinner with baked potatoes.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    hi girls! amy--you've lost 2 lbs--yay you!!

nicole--glad you liked the tree idea.

and kim, isn't it funny how connected we feel even tho it's online? i'm constantly amazed by how much you get done each day/week. you lead a very FULL life. :)

i went to an interesting panel presentation last night--adhd and medication good/evil?
    now, any of the info can be refuted or mitigated b/c of certain factors--studies are generally on males, co-morbid conditions not factored in/out, same with learning disabilities--and some other things. don't remember.
    BUT significant data just the same. like how teens with untreated add x times more likely to get pg, add/adhd (terms are interchangeable as far as research concerned) drivers have x more speeding tkts compared to non add and their accidents cost almost 2x as much in insurance payouts (which means accidents have greater damage or even fatalities), less likely to finish school, less job satisfaction, less money earned, add symptoms/behaviors persist into adulthood--you don't outgrow it--as can be seen on actual evaluative tests, and more....
    seeing actual #s was VERY enlightening.

they also explained how trad add meds work. and side effects to expect and how to reduce them. (usually has to do with dosage and sometimes timing)
    i know i'm rambling. but i learned a lot.
    and there is a school opening here this fall SPECIFICALLY for add kids and others who "learn differently", mild mood and anxiety. i'm going to chk out the one in scottsdale when we visit my mil in a week.
    also, it made me feel better abt things we've done for our girl---and where we are mentally for her. and how good her care is compared to so many other kids/ppl. ((huggin myself))

anyway, just wanted to follow up since the beginning of the week i was so glum abt all this.
    thanks for reading!

i know i'm rambling.
  • staceyw37
    Options
    goals today:
    water--8-9 glasses
    cals--stay w/in 350 over
    food--2 veges min, 2 fruit min
    house--fold laundry, clean cntrtops and stove top
    kids--light shabbos candles, no tv after dinnertime

tonight is a jewish holiday--kinda like a happy bday for the trees and is celebrated with eating 7 special foods native to israel. i plan to make raisin challah and maybe some other treat. whether i accomplish this.....or i cd get some oranges and cloves and make pomanders with the kids. who knows??

have a great friday all!! let's finish the "work" week strong!
    **and trish--good luck tomorrow! you are an incredible woman of determination, spirit, and strength!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Thanks, Stacey! My friend who works in my studio with me is going to come down & cheer me up the hill. So I won't be alone the last mile of the race :)
    I'm gonna try to go fishing up that hill tomorrow. That is MY hill.
    Happy holiday!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello ladies, we are off to the science museum! Yay! I will chat later tonite!:flowerforyou:
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    Hope its not too late to join. My name is Kelly and I am SAHM of two crazy little boys. They both have birthdays in March and will be turning 5 and 2. My hubby is in the Air Force and is currently on grave shift and upstairs sleeping as I type this. It is not only difficult to stay home with the kids but keep them downstairs and quiet. We bought an elliptical machine because I was finding it impossible to get to the gym with the hours DH works. Its hard to work out watching the Disney channel, but keeping up with it none the less. Hoping to get some real support from all my fellow SAHM's.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    It's NEVER too late to join our group, cvtga! Welcome to our little family!

In honesty, when I work out at my local rec center, I prefer Playhouse Disney to watching animals kill eachother on animal planet, LOL. One day I was surrounded by moms, and we were all watching Playhouse Disney while working out. I don't think we really have a choice what's on the TV in front of us, but I was pretty content.

Don't be afraid to pipe in often. We have a lot of fun together. :)
  • amypyr
    Options
    Welcome cvtga!! :flowerforyou: This is a great group of ladies who completely understand the frustrations and joys of parenthood. We do talk about our weight loss and exercise, but we also talk about other issues regarding parenting, life, etc. As Trish said, feel free to chime in whenever you feel like it!

Whoo hoo!!! :drinker: I'm at 4 cups of water already and it's only 1:00! I'll definitely make my 9 cup goal today!! I've been feeling kind of water logged by the end of the day the past couple of days since I only get about 2 cups in before picking the kid up from school and drink the other 7 cups all at the end of the day. Ugh!

Well, it's cloudy and cold, but it's not raining, so I'm going to actually walk to pick up the kids today. Wonder which complaint I'll get today. Will it be, "Mommy I have to go potty really bad!" just as we're on our way home, or "My legs are tired!", or just plain "Why didn't you bring the truck?!" :laugh:
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, got pretty busy the last couple days, so couldn't really catch up on all the posts. To the most recent

Welcome to cvtga! As Amy said, this is a great group, and we're here to talk about anything and everything. It's great to hear that you're making time to exercise despite how frustrating it can be to make the time. Sounds like you're getting close to your goals for March, hope we can help you on the way.
    Trish-we will all be cheering for you during your race tomorrow. Just remember "I think I can, I know I can" and be the little engine all the way up that hill. I admire you for diving right into a run like that.
    Amy-great job on the water. It definitely helps to get an early start. I try to make it through 4 glasses by lunch time, but it doesn't always happen. I'm at 4 right now, so gotta get in about another 6 before bedtime.
    Stacey-I hope that your holiday is great for you and the kids. Always nice to have an excuse to bake right? What is challah by the way? I also just have to remark on how wonderful it is to be on these groups online discovering people from all diff backgrounds/walks of life. I have never personally known anyone who is Jewish, although I've read a bit about the Chassidic (sp.?) traditions. Thanks for sharing some of your personal rituals, beliefs, and customs. Oh, and that was some great info on ADD/ADHD, I just think it might make me even more worried knowing all those stats, but hopefully you use it to help your daughter and it gives you insight into what it's like in her shoes. So difficult.
    Nicole-have fun at the museum. Our science museum was just recently remodeled and I'm hoping to go check it out soon.

Well, I finally broke through my plateau and dropped 2 pounds! I was so happy to see that this morning. I've upped my cals a little and I think it really helped. But I've also been eating healthier and alot less sodium this week, so that could be it too. I'm taking my first day off of cardio since Christmas...I feel lazy and a little bored, but I feel like I deserve it. It's so rainy and freezing outside, so I don't feel like doing much anyway. I also get to be hero mom today, because I set up the tent-like fort "Santa" got the kids for Christmas and it takes up the whole living room. Will be lots of climbing, hiding, and playing this afternoon since they can't get out with this weather. Yay! Love pleasing the kids.
  • cvtga
    Options
    Thank you ladies for you warm welcome. Just finished working out, and the boys were busy playing so I actually got to watch a little news. Kind of nice to find out what is going on in the world. I live in WA so its still early here. Will be getting my oldest son AJ off to pre school in about an hour. I have an easy dinner planned roasted chicken, throw it in the oven, baste it a few times and take the kids out to play when DH wakes up. If the weather cooperates that is. It's not raining at the moment but in the pacific NW that can change at any moment. What is everyone's plans for the weekend?
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    HI all

I'm Kim and new to the group. I am a SAHM to two beautiful little girls ages 3 1/2 and 14 months. I stepped on the scale just after Christmas and could not believe how much weight I have gained, including the 10 lbs plus around nov/dec. I find it hard to find time to work out. My hubby is getting me a Wii in the next month or so so hopefully I can get my butt on the Wii fit during nap time. Does anyone have any other workout games to suggest?

I want to eat better for me and my kids. I'm glad to not be doing this alone. Feel free to add me as a friend. We can all do this together
  • amypyr
    Options
    Welcome Kim!! :flowerforyou: You definitely won't be going through this alone. That's what we're here for! This is a wonderful group of women who really understand how difficult it can be to balance losing weight/taking some important "me" time with being there for the kids.

Stacey - (((hugs))) I'm glad to hear you're feeling better about the situation and learned a lot last night! :smile:

Jr - Great job on the weight loss!!!!

Trish - How are you and the family feeling? Are Andy and Grace any better?

LOL Well, I got 2 of them from the same child. "Why didn't you bring the truck?!" AND "I've got to go potty really bad!!!" Luckily, Will said he was glad I didn't drive because "walking is good exercise"!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Hey, Mama, glad you joined us!

I have the wii along with Wii Fit Plus, Wii Biggest Loser, and Wii Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010. WF+ is good if you're just starting out. It helped me lose my first 20, but after a few months, it didn't cut the cheese anymore. So then I switched to Wii BL, which I'm doing now. It's a good little workout, and burns about 500 cals for me. I tried JM 2010 once. The disc has not seen the light of day since. It skeeeered me. I'm not strong enough yet. If you want to get your butt totally owned by a workout, definitely get JM 2010!
    I also hear a lot of good things about Wii Golds Gym & EA Active.

Jr, that fort sounds like a blast. I love forts! Grace built one out of the hall runner yesterday all by herself, LOL.

Amy, it looks like I'll be chasing you for water today. You're already way ahead!

Nicole, I hope you had a wonderful time at the museum.

Stacey, I'm going to attempt challah soon! It's such a pretty piece of food! Is the braiding tricky with the sticky dough or is there a trick to it?
  • mama22girlz
    Options

LOL Well, I got 2 of them from the same child. "Why didn't you bring the truck?!" AND "I've got to go potty really bad!!!" Luckily, Will said he was glad I didn't drive because "walking is good exercise"!

thanks for the welcome ladies. I wish I could get out more with the kids, but today its -25C (-13F for all you American ladies) with the wind and not really good walking weather for myself let alone my two little ones. I might try bundling up later and take the dog out, but sometimes when its that cold even he heads for home after he does his buisness.

I'm hopping to start walking him more at night, in the nicer weather we usually go on hour long walks, its peaceful, just me the dog and my music, and no one saying "mama mama mommy" repeatedly every 30 seconds. I'm also looking into a zumba class every thrusday night. Anyone do that here?

Trish thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll rent a few before buying. My husband is getting the Wii and the wii fit as a belated Christmas gift and I want to get another one so I think I'll test them out first. I have heard that the Jillian michaels 2009 sucked but the 2010 is great so I'll have to try to rent it. Does she yell at you like she does on TV? :)

So my exerscise level is pretty nil, other then chasing the kids all day, so my calorie max is on the lower end, however I'm still Breastfeeding my 14 month old about 3-4 times a day (mostly a big feed in the morning and before bed with a few little ones in the middle) So I'm not really sure how to account for that since technically I need more calories to nurse but also burn more. Right now I'm not including it, and will sometimes have a little small low calorie snack and just not count it and call it my breastfeeding calories and not include it in my diary. Not sure though if I should just up my calories, and account for the breastfeeding as some sort of "workout" to balance it??. Anyone else nursing?
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi mama22girlz. Nice to have you in the group. I also have a 14 mo little girl :happy: Aren't they so much fun? But they make it hard to squeeze in workout time. I use the Wii Fit Plus, but I also incorporate other workouts such as running, Tae Bo, etc. I am looking into more intense workouts for the Wii, but like you not sure what to get. Renting is a very good idea. Dance Dance Revolution 3 I tried at my sister's house and it was a real butt kicker. Good music to dance to as well. As far as the breastfeeding, I do not (just didn't work for my DD and me), but I've read on other posts that you could add it to your exercise diary. Just at the bottom there's a link that says add new exercise then add breastfeeding. One mom who was feeding her 14mo would account 200 cal since it's not EBF. EBF usually accounts for an extra 500 cals, so that seems like a reasonable calculation, and better than guesstimating and not logging.

Trish-too cute about Grace making her own fort. I can just imagine her peeking out then hiding from you again.

Amy-your walk home sounds like when I take my kids for a walk in the evenings. School is only about 1/4 mi, so not so bad, but I like to walk the long block and it's 1/2 mi to 1 mi depending on the route. My son asked me a couple of days ago to carry him during a long walk (it was about 1 1/2 mi) I was so surprised that I was actually able to finish out the walk with him on my back and pushing the stroller. Hurray for getting fit! I'm so glad your older boy appreciated the exercise though. As far as the needing to go potty...anyway you could request the teacher do potty breaks before p/u time?
  • cvtga
    Options
    OMG I love when we set up the forts/tents in the house. My in-laws seem to think we live in a huge house because every chance they get they buy them another one. They take up the whole family room, which I don't mind, in fact our cats even like them. I was thinking about having one of my son's friend sleep over this weekend, set up the tent and let them "camp out" What 5 year old wouldn't like that?
  • staceyw37
    Options
    oh my gosh! so much to read and i have to get the girls from school!

on the +--drank 4 glasses water.
    folded that laundry and started more.
    journaled (reflections on 2009--list of q's i got off simplemom site)
    took boy to library and park
    cleaned cntrtops and stove top and had girl dust the house

hmmm--did you hear me say exercise?? or challah??? or special treat???:laugh:
  • staceyw37
    Options
    welcome mama22 and kelly! glad you decided to join in. GREAT group of women here!