Am I Evil????

Options

Replies

• crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Life is about challenges.... if we choose not to face them, we will not grow from experiences. If you choose to take your kids trick or treating, and you fall off the wagon with the candy...... the challenge is to not let it define you or the rest of your life. Get back to your healthy lifestyle and move on. Right now I struggle with weekends and making good choices when I am with friends and family. I refuse to skip out on fun family functions because I can't control myself.... I am in the process of figuring out what I can do to stay on track and still have fun.... it's a challenge, but I will find a balance if I stick to it.
    And no, you are not evil.... no one here can judge, because there is no one here that has never been selfish at one time or another...
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Kinda, I have to take the side of the kids. So they're denied the joy of Halloween because you lack self control? And I get it, sugar is a gateway for me. But at the end of the day I am still in conrol. If I choose not to control it then that is on me too.
    On the other hand - so they're (kids) denied the joy of eating nutritious foods because of a silly tradition that no-one really knows the origins of? Well done the OP for standing up to convention and opting out.
    She's not doing it to "stand up to convention." She's doing it because she doesn't want her kids to have candy that she lacks the self control to NOT eat. And because she'd rather go to Zumba. It has nothing to do with bucking tradition; it's about what she wants to do instead.
  • mol3718
    mol3718 Posts: 16
    Options
    I work with kids. I see how sad they are when they hear they don't get to dress up at school and they can't talk Halloween in class. Kids love this night and you really should let them go. It's a fun time for the kids when they come to school Nov 1st and everyone is wired tight on candy and telling all of their stories. The kids who didn't get to go have to try and come up with reasons why. Some play it cool and say "I'm just not into Halloween" and some sadly admit they aren't allowed to go. Your kids will have to say "Mom wouldn't let us go because she had Zumba class." Don't do this to your kids especially over something like a diet. Life happens and you can not hide from sugar and the fact that food will be in your life forever. If you just can't find the will power to avoid the candy (even for the benefit of your kids) why don't you limit the time they go trick or treating or the amount of time the kids have the candy in the house or have the kids hide it from you and just don't go looking for it, then at least the kids get to have fun. Your kids will remember and talk about great Halloweens the rest of their lives and trust me your kids will remember the year that mom wouldn't let them go because she was too worried about Zumba.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Kinda, I have to take the side of the kids. So they're denied the joy of Halloween because you lack self control? And I get it, sugar is a gateway for me. But at the end of the day I am still in conrol. If I choose not to control it then that is on me too.
    On the other hand - so they're (kids) denied the joy of eating nutritious foods because of a silly tradition that no-one really knows the origins of? Well done the OP for standing up to convention and opting out.
    She's not doing it to "stand up to convention." She's doing it because she doesn't want her kids to have candy that she lacks the self control to NOT eat. And because she'd rather go to Zumba. It has nothing to do with bucking tradition; it's about what she wants to do instead.
    And that's what makes this so freaking sad.

Abstaining for religious reasons = respectable.
    Abstaining to buck society = reasonable.
    Abstaining because you're being selfish and you have no self control = cruel to the kids.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Your are very welcome! :happy:
    But if you really think of smothering your kids like that... dont have any..... :indifferent: sorry I am direct and honest... but just dont....

So wanting my children to not get shot by gang members and to eat healthy is smothering, then what kind of parent should I be? Suuuuure, eat all the fatty foods you want and then dance in the middle of traffic at night. I wouldn't want someone on the internet to think I'm no fun! :/

Is this real life.

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality

Open your eyes
    look up to the sky and see

tumblr_m38mfcumcf1qhfoino1_500.jpg

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    1. Uh, we DO know the origins of this tradition. They go back centuries, in fact, and are well documented. Do a little reading.

2. Her kids should miss out on some childhood fun to "buck society"? Is Halloween really the fight to pick on that one?
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    For the woman bent on not letting her kids go trick or treating in her ghetto neighborhood: have you thought of taking the kids to the mall? Here in Canada, every store in the mall will have their employees dress up and they hand out candy. It' was the best day of the year. I got to see every cute little creature under the sun and it was safer for some parents then walking around wherever.

As to the OP, this is so selfish. Halloween was my favorite day out of the year growing up. My parents couldn't always go, so I would take my siblings (4 of them), being that I was oldest, out to trick or treat for an hour and come home. My parents went through the candy with us and we were able to keep only so much. My parents never told us we couldn't enjoy an awesome holiday because they couldn't take us, didn't want to take us, or whatever. This is mean.

I can't wait until your kids go "Hey mom, you can't go to zumba tonight because I've decided to be sick and make myself *kitten* my pants so you have to deal with this".
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Can someone take them for you? Do they have friends they could go with? I understand wanting to work out instead and I can also understand not wanting the trigger foods in the house, but they won't understand. I think they should be able to go.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    But if you really think of smothering your kids like that... dont have any..... :indifferent: sorry I am direct and honest... but just dont....

So wanting my children to not get shot by gang members and to eat healthy is smothering, then what kind of parent should I be? Suuuuure, eat all the fatty foods you want and then dance in the middle of traffic at night. I wouldn't want someone on the internet to think I'm no fun! :/

Is this real life.

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy

Because I'm easy come, easy go
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....even those with the brutally honest answers. I did forget to add that Halloween is my birthday, I'm a single mom and my kids dad have kidney shutdown from diabetes.

Anyways, I promise I will take my kids trick or treating let them eat some candy and take the rest of the candy to the dentist to get some $$$$. Also, focus on Trick or Treat for UNICEF. Thanks for all the great ideas.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options

HomerFacePalm.jpg

How interprete what I said your way and see the worst::: you are doing right!

1. Eat healthy doesnt mean to not have crap once in a new moon!
    2. Shot by a gang member!??!?!?! Ok.. let's all stay at home, lock our doors and not come out! Welcome to earth girl. Your best bet is to buy a desert island away from civilisation... but beware, there is venomous insects, and birds out there... BTW, unless you live in Afghanistan, you wont get shot just because you got out your door to trick-or-treat....

Geez... it's not worth ....
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Is this real life.

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy

little high, little low
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Is this real life.

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy

little high, little low

Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me...to me
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....even those with the brutally honest answers. I did forget to add that Halloween is my birthday, I'm a single mom and my kids dad have kidney shutdown from diabetes.

Anyways, I promise I will take my kids trick or treating let them eat some candy and take the rest of the candy to the dentist to get some $$$$. Also, focus on Trick or Treat for UNICEF. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Awesome way to take this all in stride. *hat tip*

I think there's also a way you can donate to our soldiers. What a great way to teach kids about patriotism! Best of luck to you and Happy Birthday!
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Am I evil for telling my kids I'm not taking them trick-or-treating because I want to go to zumba that night? Oh, and I don't want all that tempting candy all over the place (I lack the self-control and also addicted to sugar). Last year they got so much candy it filled half a garbage bag (5 kids). Who ended up eating most of it???? Me! I was doing pretty good until my sugar relapse. Any suggestions on what to do besides go on a sugar binge?

I dont know the ages of your kids, but i think it would be pretty devastating to miss out on something all your friends are doing, what tims is ZUMBA? can you jsut take them for like 20 min trick or treating and still make your class, if you limit the houses they go to it limits the candy they can bring in, also you can give them one day to binge on candy and then drop the rest in the foodbank donation bin to get the temptation away from you, from a dental stand point its better for them to just have a tonne of sugar once, then to have a little everyday, from a nutrition point, im not sure, but one insuline spike and crash is probably better then several small ones over the coming weeks.
    Does your community do any parties/bonfires/activities you could do instead?

AND CRAP!!! ( I JUST REALIZED I HAVE ZUMBA THAT NIGHT TOOO MEGA SAD FACE!!! DAMMIT! )
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

In light of this new information, provisionally, you don't suck.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Self control, you are going to have to learn it sometime. Simple as that. I'm a sucker for pizza, if there is any in the house I would have eaten it right away...a full one to myself. Now I can happily leave it there & not worry. SELF CONTROL. IF you don't have it by now then your on a path of failure.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I was going to say this: Life is about choices. As a parent you set the example. If you can't control yourself around candy, and your solution is to punish your children by not letting them trick or treat or keep halloween candy, then what does that tell them? I'd find other arrangements so they could go, if you still wanted to go to zumba, and then let them sort the candy and keep x amount of pieces. That shows control and smart decision making. Completely eliminating Halloween to suit you is sorta selfish, when there are five other kids, and Halloween is a common holiday that most people celebrate and participate in.

But in light of new information - I can see your point. Your kids may not however.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    Hitler was evil but your idea is f'd up. Why not just cancel Christmas and Thanksgiving while you're at it?!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Great time to practice that self control! Yay, I'm glad this ended so well. I really hope you do what you said you will.