Open your eyes
    look up to the sky and see

tumblr_m38mfcumcf1qhfoino1_500.jpg

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy

Because I'm easy come, easy go

little high, little low

Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me...to me

Mama, just killed a man. Put a gun against his head. Pulled my trigger, now he's dead.
    *dramatic posing*
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Is this real life.

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy

little high, little low

Mama, just killed a man. Put a gun against his head. Pulled my trigger, now he's dead.
    *dramatic posing*

*In plaintive loud dramatic fashion/eyes closed*
    Mama, life had just begun
    But now I've gone and thrown it all away
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know it's short notice but is there any way you can get your hands on a zumba dvd and do it after the kids go to bed? I'm a single mom too so I try to work out at lunchtime but if I can't, I love doing the zumba dvd's in the living room.

It's hard to have to skip what you love the most on your birthday but your kids will really appreciate the time they get to spend with you, just doing something silly and fun.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Is this real life.

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy

little high, little low

*dramatic posing*

*In overly dramatic and operatic voice*

Mammmmaaaaaaaaaaa
    OooooOOOooooo
    Didn't mean to make you cryy....
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Is this real life.

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide...

No escape from reality

Open your eyes

I'm just a poor boy
    I need no sympathy

little high, little low

*dramatic posing*

Mama, ooh. Didn't mean to make you cry. If I'm not back again this time tomorrow. Carry on... carry on... *soft and sad* as if nothing really matters
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....even those with the brutally honest answers. I did forget to add that Halloween is my birthday, I'm a single mom and my kids dad have kidney shutdown from diabetes.

Anyways, I promise I will take my kids trick or treating let them eat some candy and take the rest of the candy to the dentist to get some $$$$. Also, focus on Trick or Treat for UNICEF. Thanks for all the great ideas.

This is information that should have been included in the first place.

Enjoy your birthday and the time with your kids :)
  • ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As a mom of 3 who also lacks control around Reeses Peanut Butter Cups in particular, I get your plight. I loathe Halloween because I am not fond of playing dress up and this holiday represents the start of a downhill period (ending with New Year's Eve) for me when it comes to exercising self control. That said, my issues aren't my kids issues and they love to dress up. They are very active at school and eat well enough the rest of the week to deserve to eat some candy. I'm not going to call you out as being evil but I will say I think there are alternative solutions that would feed your kids' memory bank while not derailing your efforts. For example, could you go to a Zumba class a little earlier or later and just reduce the number of houses your kids go to that night?

If not, you might look for another alternative. I get my husband take the kids out trick-or-treating and I stay home and hand out candy to trick-or-treaters. I intentionally choose a candy that I don't like or choose something Halloweenish like stickers or temporary tattoos so I am not tempted throughout the night or when it comes to leftovers. One year, my husband was out of town for work and so a neighbor was willing to let my kids go walk around with her family and so maybe that's an option for you if you want to go to Zumba and/or you are single and don't have a second parent to lean on.

When it comes to dealing with the candy afterwards, I liked the idea one poster left behind about letting the kids choose their favorites and then donating the rest to the troops. You could also donate it a local shelter for women and children dealing with domestic abuse or to a local community helper who might support people during the wacky holiday (i.e. firefighters, EMS, police station, hospital ER staff). One year, I took mine and placed it in the break room at work. Suprisingly, it was gone by the end of the day. Another year, my husband put it in his car and would use it as an after school treat for the kids if they had a good day at school. He wasn't really tempted by the candy in his car and I never had to see it and be tempted.

Again, these are just some alternatives if you are open to exploring them....
  • LittleBallofFurr
    LittleBallofFurr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    the day is saved
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yes, but with good (albeit selfish) intentions. Take them t-o-t and then have a dance party (there are even ZUMBA kids videos) at your house... make it a night for the family...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....even those with the brutally honest answers. I did forget to add that Halloween is my birthday, I'm a single mom and my kids dad have kidney shutdown from diabetes.

Anyways, I promise I will take my kids trick or treating let them eat some candy and take the rest of the candy to the dentist to get some $$$$. Also, focus on Trick or Treat for UNICEF. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Yes. Well those details might have been helpful. It seems to me that you already knew you would be taking the trick-or-treating anyway. Your intentional omission seems a bit trollish to me. People always have strong opinions when the topic is children. You couldn't have possibly thought that wording your post the way that you did wouldn't have stirred up some emotional responses?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Good call OP! Sometimes we all go a little crazy around our food issues. :flowerforyou:
  • chaNyn613
    chaNyn613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Love Halloween but it does start the candy parade at our house... between Christmas, Valentines, b'days and Easter the parade does not end until April. I let the kids eat what they want on Halloween, let them keep some of their favorites and divide the rest. I use some for stocking stuffers and holiday baking (freeze it until you need it), some I take to the office or send to the National Guard, any candy that doesn't tempt me can be left in the candy dish and the rest I toss in the trashcan. I also make sure the candy I buy to pass out is not candy I am tempted by.... Reese Cups and mini Snickers. Plus my daughter doesn't really like chocolate so I buy things like Smarties, Jolly Ranchers, etc.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    You are evil for even trolling the idea. I award you zero points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading through 10 pages of comments of people talking about how not trick-or-treating will traumatize your children for life so I don't *really* know what everyone has said. However, I do agree that your reasons are silly. You can miss one night of zumba. As far as the control thing, that's your issue - you don't have to eat the candy. I have two suggestions for the future, since it's kind of late to do this now:

1. No trick-or-treating but throw a Halloween party for your kids and their friends. Have small goodie bags for everyone, but make the main focus on costumes, games, and Halloween baked treats that you can make at home and can be healthier than candy, a "scary" movie can also be thrown in. Another option is to have your kids and their friends trick-or-treat for only a half hour and then come back to the house for a party.

2. Allow your kids to trick-or-treat for a limited time, come back to the house and pick out a few pieces and give the rest to friends. Then make your own baked treats with the kids. (This is something I know some vegan parents will do, minus the kids eating any of the candy. Their kids go out trick-or-treating with friends and have all that fun, but then come home and divide their candy up and give it to their friends and then make vegan treats at home. Seems to work well - the kids don't feel left out, they aren't partaking in the candy, but they still get yummy and special treats.)

Quite frankly, I think Halloween's more fun and seems more "special" when there are parties involved and yummy treats that are often rarities - like fresh spiced cider and homemade candy - rather than getting a ton of crappy candy. But, I don't think you should prevent your kids from trick-or-treating without another plan in place.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    If you let your kids go out trick-and/or-treating and they eat themselves into a sugar coma, and then they collapse in the middle of the road, and then they get smooshed by a steam-roller, and then picked over by crows until all that's left of them is a Justin Bieber costume, you still made the right choice.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Sorry for kinda hijacking the thread earlier. Talked to the boyfriend and he says there's a couple safe places to trick or treat close to where he lives. So I guess I'll be moving out there whenever I can afford to. Thanks for the comments (even the critical and sarcastic ones) and I'm gonna log off before the hurricane causes me to lose power. :flowerforyou:
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Evil.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think you made a great choice. That sugar is as bad for them as it is for you. Maybe replace trick or treating with something else??

Plus if you really are going to end up eating all their treats and getting off track with your diet that's not really fair on them either - they need a fit and healthy mama who will be around for them when they're older.

For the record my child won't be trick or treating either, I never did as a kid (it's not a big thing here in NZ) and I really don't feel I missed out.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Our family is SKIPPING all the candy-coated madness in favor of a camping trip on the coast (em...west coast!).