Am I Evil????

Options
Am I evil for telling my kids I'm not taking them trick-or-treating because I want to go to zumba that night? Oh, and I don't want all that tempting candy all over the place (I lack the self-control and also addicted to sugar). Last year they got so much candy it filled half a garbage bag (5 kids). Who ended up eating most of it???? Me! I was doing pretty good until my sugar relapse. Any suggestions on what to do besides go on a sugar binge?

Replies

• Courtney_0_0
    Options
    Hey RMW--I posted this to your page, too, but am going to post it here in case other moms are in the same boat. BTW, I'm a sugar addict, too, so we will send most of our candy to DH's office.

Repost of my original reply to you:
    I get this, I really do. but maybe more creative solutions are possible? Let them T-o-T, but have them sort their candy and keep only a portion (like 10 pieces?), for themselves in their rooms (yah, this may break your house food rules, not sure what they are, but maybe this one time will be ok?) consider having them donate the rest through operation shoebox? (http://www.operationshoebox.com/ )There's an address (in FL) on this site to which you can send the candy. I'm not pro-war or necessarily pro-military by any stretch of the imagination, but think this act of kindness can be presented to kids in such a way that says "these are women and men we can support for their help keeping us safe by giving them what they don't have. they make sacrifices for us everyday, the least we can do is sacrifice some sugar."

You might also look at some pages of moms with GF kids or allergies for other creative ways for getting candy out of the house. I would never weigh in on the "am I evil" question as phrased, because I'm not a judgey mama and really am not a fan of them, so I'm just trying to offer other possibilities/ideas that may not have crossed your mind and that might offer some sort of compromise for you and the kiddos.

Hang in there!:smile:
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Kinda, I have to take the side of the kids. So they're denied the joy of Halloween because you lack self control? And I get it, sugar is a gateway for me. But at the end of the day I am still in conrol. If I choose not to control it then that is on me too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kinda, I have to take the side of the kids. So they're denied the joy of Halloween because you lack self control? And I get it, sugar is a gateway for me. But at the end of the day I am still in conrol. If I choose not to control it then that is on me too.

this. i dont think you are evil, just a bit mean!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Lack of self control is no reason to punish the kids.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would at least come up with some sort of other activity/idea/or limitation of trick or treating time frame. Take them, but only allow them 30 minutes. That way they're not getting a huge bag of candy, and you still have time to go to zumba. Or come up with some sort of other activity for them. I agree that your kids should not be punished for your lack of self control. Trick or treating is a big deal for a lot of kiddos!!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Its one night a year that your kids get to have fun, dress up and be kids. Surely you arent stuck up enough to force them to skip it so you can do freakin zumba. Your selfcontrol issues are not their fault. I feel a little sad for them. Imagine them going to school the next day and while all their friends are talking about it, they say something like "we couldnt go bc my mom wanted to work out". Thats pretty sad lady.

ETA: Save the candy and donate it to a float if your town has a Christmas parade.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Evil? No, rape and genocide are "evil".

But this idea you have is not fair, and will hurt your kids feelings.

Give them this. Zumba is there every day. Halloween is a magical fun time for kids, and your decision to indulge in their candy instead of restrain yourself is no reason to deny them Halloween.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Evil, no, but a bit mean. Don't stop kids from going ToT; it's a great big fat hairy deal for them. Maybe limit the time as suggested above. Too much candy isn't good for kids, just like it's not good for you.
  • camajade
    camajade Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't think we should punish our kids for our lack of self control. This is a test for you, how serious are you in your weight lost. I agree, it is going to be hard. I also believe you should go to your zumba class. If you go really early with the kids to t-o-t and just to a few houses this could be good for everyone. Less candy, your kids get to t-o-t and you get your exercice in. goog luck!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Jeez, let your kids enjoy trick or treating, place their night of fun before your exercise and lack of self control.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Seriously...let your kids be kids. Let them revel in the fun and excitement of Halloween. It's one of the best times of year where the imagination is still used. Get dressed up and take them out!! have fun, scare some kids...

As for the sugar...set the example, set the limitations, and BE THE EXAMPLE.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Halloween is pretty damn near my favorite day of the year. Don't take that away from your kids.

Don't punish your kids for your own lack of restraint. And limiting how much the kids can get? It's a candy orgy. You don't want to be *that* parent. Give them their day, they deserve it.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Poor kids
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Its one night a year that your kids get to have fun, dress up and be kids. Surely you arent stuck up enough to force them to skip it so you can do freakin zumba. Your selfcontrol issues are not their fault. I feel a little sad for them. Imagine them going to school the next day and while all their friends are talking about it, they say something like "we couldnt go bc my mom wanted to work out". Thats pretty sad lady.

ETA: Save the candy and donate it to a float if your town has a Christmas parade.

This. You can't possibly be that selfish can you? Kids grow up so fast these days - let them have some fun.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You're not necessarily evil, but it's a d1ck move for sure.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you can go zumba any time,
    trick or treating is once a year. Go with them, then go for a power walk or something,
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    My cousin was a diabetic at the age of 8. She would trick or treat and her mom would buy her candy so she could have the fun and "be normal" but have money to buy sugar free candy. Halloween is my fav holiday so I have to side with the kids. Maybe let them go out and then work with a local kids hospital and go room to room in costume and hand out candy to the kids that can not get out or something like that.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I agre witht he above posters. You can't deny your kids a night of fun because you don't wan the candy around. That's like saying my husband can't go to a football game because he will want nachos and I can't eat nachos. Ya know?
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    Uh, yeah. You can't be serious. Take them trick or treating.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Halloween is pretty damn near my favorite day of the year. Don't take that away from your kids.

Don't punish your kids for your own lack of restraint. And limiting how much the kids can get? It's a candy orgy. You don't want to be *that* parent. Give them their day, they deserve it.

This - Zumba will be there for you post-Halloween. It's kinda like saying: "hey kids, you're on your own for opening x-mas gifts b/c mommy has to hit the treadmill."