Am I Evil????

Options

Replies

• mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    that is so sad...please take your kids trick or treating, no need to punish them because you lack self control. They will be so crushed if all their friends and everyone else gets to go, but not them :frown:
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Halloween comes once a year! I say let them have candy! Just have self-control yourself. But I warn you to be cautious with Halloween candy, especially from strangers, don't want any candy meth or razor blades finding their way into your kiddos tummies... Believe me, I know a girl who ended up in the hospital after consuming 'pop-rocks' that were really crystal meth.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I understand it is hard when there are lots of treats in the house as I am a sugar addict too, but I could never stop my girls going out for Halloween. We limit the amount of houses we go to so they don't get loads and loads as I don't like them eating lots of junk either and when we get back I will go through it and put the things they like in their snack box and take the rest into work for the guys. Since you are asking the question you already know you are going to feel bad about it if you stop them, so you know what to do :smile:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Let your kids go ToT'ing!

Let them keep a portion of the candy, and donate the rest to something like this: http://www.operationgratitude.com/halloween-candy-buy-back-2012/
  • Owsla135
    Owsla135 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • WitchStormLilly
    Options
    lol, evil definitely not. It is up to you as a mother to make those decisions anyway and your decision to ~not~ take them trick or treating is a healthy choice. I would probably feel like you were supremely evil if I was a child though :s My suggestion would be to take them out UNICEFing - at least that way they still get the thrill and they can feel like they're making a difference in the world. You can use the time around Halloween to spend time with them making spooky goodies and crafts - at least that way you can control what kind of treats are in your home and share them with neighbours and school friends.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My mom went in and out of eating junk and letting us eat junk when we were little. If she was in a no sugar kick during Halloween, she would let us trick or treat, but we could only fill up one small bag each and that was it. We were allowed to sort our candy and bring a piece to school over the next few days, but I think she ended up getting rid of it after a couple days when the high of it wore off for us rather than keeping it around for forever. It kept everyone happy.
    Also if you awnt to go to zumba during trick or treat time, why can't dad take them? There's no law that says mom has to (unless you're a single parent/dad is working/other circumstances)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Not evil, but it's pretty mean and selfish (sorry!).

And, you really aren't teaching your kids about how to have a good attitude towards food. Don't you want them to be able to enjoy things in moderation without having anxiety, stress, or other issues? Why not start teaching them that now?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Evil? No... but I can guarantee you that your kids will remember this Halloween for the rest of their lives, and NOT in a good way.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I think that it is not fair for them to miss Halloween. I agree with the poster above, let them trick or treat, and then pick out a small amount of candy to keep, and give the rest away. I don't like my kids to have candy very often either, but I do try to make exceptions for big stuff,like Halloween. Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays as a kid. In fact, I still like it, and not at all for the candy. So it seems sad to take this away from them.
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't skip it completely... I take my son to a community halloween party where he gets some candy (not a lot!) and plays a bunch of games & then we trick or treat a few blocks. I used to bring a lot of the candy to work... Let my coworkers get fat instead of me :p
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree here that you have to let your kids be kids. Do ANY of us want all that candy around? No. I don't want MY kids to have it either! But...TOTing is a part of childhood. Do you want your kids to grow up and tell their friends "yeah...we couldn't go TOT because my mom was an exercise freak and couldn't keep her hands out of our bags".

Check around and see if any dentists are doing a candy buy back program. We have a ton around here that do that and then send it off to soldiers overseas.
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would let my kids go trick or treating, let them keep like a sandwich bag FULL of candy (whatever candy they choose) and just buck up on my self-control. If there is tons of candy left over, there are many places that will "buy" your candy by the pound to send to soldiers over seas... at least that's how it is in my town..
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    WOW, yes!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :noway: ...WPP
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Let your kids go. And only trick-or-treat half as much if they don't even eat most of the candy. That's just wasteful.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I could never imagine telling my kids no just because I couldn't handle it. I love Halloween as much as they do and it's the one day of the year I'm allowed to be a childish as they are. Put on a costume, throw on your running shoes, and take them house to house. My kids never walk, they run so it's a little bit of a workout for me to keep up. A lot of people have food addictions and they work through them, they don't just completely avoid everything.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Life is short.

Take them! So what if you eat some candy? It sounds like you're so dedicated/addicted to exercising that you shouldn't have a problem working it off. The kids wont care if you eat their candy but they WILL remember, for the rest of their lives, the year mom was so addicted to exercise that she didn't take them! If you keep having 'thoughts' like this, consider that you may have a body image/eating disorder/something. It makes me think of the DC show where the woman said to her young son, 'Honey, I know you broke your arm, but do you mind if I go the gym before we go to the hospital?"

LET THEM GO and GO WITH THEM! ENJOY your time with them!
  • queenfresh
    queenfresh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never got to go trick or treating as a kid until I was 16 years old. I was kinda sad I never got to go and never dress up for fun. When there was a halloween party in high school, I made my mom make me a Tinkerbell costume so I could go. I definitely want to take my kids when I have them!
  • starjumper12
    Options
    just speaking from experience, it also matters what you tell your kids, whether you let them go TOTing or not. if you tell them that you don't want the sugar around the house and that you need to go to the gym, you're likely to encourage an unhealthy relationship with candy. halloween is a normal part of growing up and to deny your children the experience is actually quite selfish. there has to be a compromise somewhere.