Am I Evil????

Options

Replies

• evmoses
    evmoses Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Evil is a strong word but I do agree with most of these post. Holidays for me have always been about the kids and the joy and fun in their faces. If you cannot control yourself or have the wits about you to figure out how to give this fun night to your kids in a healthy manner then one Zumba class is not going to be enough to make this weight loss journey successful for you! Sorry, I agree the word is SELFISH.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Am I evil for telling my kids I'm not taking them trick-or-treating because I want to go to zumba that night? Oh, and I don't want all that tempting candy all over the place (I lack the self-control and also addicted to sugar). Last year they got so much candy it filled half a garbage bag (5 kids). Who ended up eating most of it???? Me! I was doing pretty good until my sugar relapse. Any suggestions on what to do besides go on a sugar binge?

22109620.jpg
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    aaaaand there are your answers. Bet you wish you didn't post the question :)
  • dropdeadgreggie
    Options
    OpoQQ.jpg
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you take my idea about taking the kids somewhere to distribute their candy, let them do the sorting and picking of what stays and goes. This thread is making me remember the glory of trick or treating, and one of my favorite parts was the digging through the pillow cases, sorting into piles, and playing trade with my siblings. :)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It is awesome that you realize that Halloween is an issue for you. Realizing what your triggers are is a good thing!

I don't know that it's "evil", but I'm not sure it's a good decision to not let them go trick-or-treating because you can't control yourself.

Realize that Halloween comes once a year. Go with them, run yourself ragged with exercise, and then...have them pick out their favorites, and donate the rest to a food-pantry or to a shelter or even take them in to work.

The stuff they keep - tell the kids they can't eat it around you and have them hide it from you.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Evil....No
    Selfish as hell....yes

Seriously..."I can't keep my big mouth shut from all the sugary goodness for a couple of days so instead I will deny my children some fun times"

Why not tell them Christmas is off as well cos you can't help but gorge on Christmas Cake?

You're an adult - you suffer for your children, not vice-versa...
  • Tinker_and_Bash
    Tinker_and_Bash Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd let the kids have 10 or so of their favorites and then have them put their bags outside of their bedroom door and trade it for a fun toy and a promise of an activity they've been wanting to do (ala the Candy Fairy). Then donate the candy to a food bank or put it in an opaque bag in the back of the freezer. Give them a few pieces here and there, melt or chunk the chocolate candies for baking or pancakes, give the hard candies and lollipops to a friend who is quitting smoking. Last year we took my stepson trick or treating and we did this and had enough left over to make peanut butter cup brownies at Christmas!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

The stuff they keep - tell the kids they can't eat it around you and have them hide it from you.

Agree with the rest, just not this. Come up with strategies for how you will cope. Don't involve your children in your unhealthy relationship with food or give them the responsibility for your self-control.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you suck. You are selfish - at the expensive your your children.

Halloween is a whole thing for kids. Again, to be clear, you suck.

Did I mention that you really suck for even contemplating such a thing?

If not, let it be known: you suck.

I hope you're just trolling us.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local dentist that is doing a candy buy back? We have local pediatric dental offices that are buying back candy and giving the kids up to $5 and the candy then gets sent to troops overseas. Is there an additional class you could pick up over the weekend instead?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Evil....No
    Selfish as hell....yes

Seriously..."I can't keep my big mouth shut from all the sugary goodness for a couple of days so instead I will deny my children some fun times"

Why not tell them Christmas is off as well cos you can't help but gorge on Christmas Cake?

You're an adult - you suffer for your children, not vice-versa...
    I was just wondering, "Gee, does that means the entire month of December is cancelled because of all of the Christmas goodies that will be shoved in her face?"

Seriously, OP, I really hope you're a troll.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Selfish and mean.
  • Momma1213
    Options
    I guess it will come down to what is most important to you. If teaching your children that YOU come first no matter what is most important to you, you will need to be willing to pay the consequences of that lesson later in life. If this is a serious post there is way more wrong than just a sugar addiction on steroids and I would suggest some self reflection if not counseling.
    Here's to hoping that you were just airing out personal frustration and are not honestly serious about hurting your children's feelings because exercise and your body image was more important than them.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm considering not letting my kids trick or treat at all (when I do have kids) because it's too unsafe to have them walking around at night, all for candy that will just make them fat anyway.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That is pretty bad
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Can you let them go with some neighbors so you can still go to Zumba? And I love the idea of donating the rest of the candy. Also, why not make yourself a healthy treat to enjoy? I LOVE this recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/26/reeses-peanut-butter-cup-baked-oatmeal/

280 calories, a lot of protein, and tastes just like a Reeses PB Cup! No guilt required! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Even if I had a child that was diabetic and couldn't eat the candy, I would still not take the night out to go to the gym and make them skip ToT. I would at least let them trade in their treats for something that is a treat for them. You should never punish your kids for your lack of self control.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    We dont do a traditional Halloween. But, it is not because I don't want the temptation, but rather because we prefer noone in the family eat candy because of the ingredients. Luckily, there is a "healthy" trick or treating event in my city with treats for the kids that do not include artifical ingredients or high fructose corn syrup. We got a bag full of organic snacks like gummie bears and lollipops. win-win. Maybe you could look for something like that in your area? Otherwise, I do not think trick or treating is at all a necessary part of Halloween. Usually you can find fall festivals that have some treats, but not a garbage bag full. The kids can have fun without a bunch of junk food anyway.

Good luck. People think I am depriving my daughter of something constantly because w avoid fast foods and artifical "treats". I completely disagree.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm considering not letting my kids trick or treat at all (when I do have kids) because it's too unsafe to have them walking around at night, all for candy that will just make them fat anyway.

They aren't alone, you are with them. In regards to candy, I do not let my children gorge on candy never have never will. They get to eat 2 pieces when they come home and get one treat a day for a specific amount of time and that is it. You control what they get don't kill it for them. being an adult is ****ty and no more innocent fun. Let them enjoy being kids.