Am I Evil????

Options

Replies

• _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Kinda, I have to take the side of the kids. So they're denied the joy of Halloween because you lack self control? And I get it, sugar is a gateway for me. But at the end of the day I am still in conrol. If I choose not to control it then that is on me too.

I definitely agree with this!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm considering not letting my kids trick or treat at all (when I do have kids) because it's too unsafe to have them walking around at night, all for candy that will just make them fat anyway.

They aren't alone, you are with them. In regards to candy, I do not let my children gorge on candy never have never will. They get to eat 2 pieces when they come home and get one treat a day for a specific amount of time and that is it. You control what they get don't kill it for them. being an adult is ****ty and no more innocent fun. Let them enjoy being kids.

Even if I'm there with them, they can still get hurt. There have been so many kids shot and killed on Halloween night in my area because of stupid gang fights and such. I would rather have my kids live and be healthy than have ****ty candy and increase the risk of them dying.

That sounds like a lovely idea...if I can get the father to cooperate and not sneak them candy when I'm not looking. Training him to eat well will be harder than getting the kids to eat right. *sigh*

You know what ruins your childhood? Getting really overweight when you hit puberty and no one wants to be your friend because of it. I don't want my kids to go through the same thing as I did. :(

I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I'm considering not letting my kids trick or treat at all (when I do have kids) because it's too unsafe to have them walking around at night, all for candy that will just make them fat anyway.

They aren't alone, you are with them. In regards to candy, I do not let my children gorge on candy never have never will. They get to eat 2 pieces when they come home and get one treat a day for a specific amount of time and that is it. You control what they get don't kill it for them. being an adult is ****ty and no more innocent fun. Let them enjoy being kids.

Even if I'm there with them, they can still get hurt. There have been so many kids shot and killed on Halloween night in my area because of stupid gang fights and such. I would rather have my kids live and be healthy than have ****ty candy and increase the risk of them dying.

That sounds like a lovely idea...if I can get the father to cooperate and not sneak them candy when I'm not looking. Training him to eat well will be harder than getting the kids to eat right. *sigh*

You know what ruins your childhood? Getting really overweight when you hit puberty and no one wants to be your friend because of it. I don't want my kids to go through the same thing as I did. :(

...thanks for your valuable contribution to the discussion. *rolls eyes*
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Evil, no.......selfish, yes. Part of the deal when you become a parent is that your kids come first (especially if they're still young enough to be trick or treating), yeah, it's a PITA sometimes but it comes with the job.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

...yeah, good luck finding a safer neighborhood. The neighborhoods that used to be safe no longer are.

Hmmm...hopefully they'll go along with that. >.<

It's hard to believe there is nowhere that has a safer neighborhood. You can even take kids to shopping malls for trick or treating. As a parent, talk to the neighborhood schools about having trick or treat indoors at the school. You can do your part to make that happen. Besides, you don't have children yet. Who knows where you will be living? If children are taught from the start that Trick or Treating is about fun and giving to others, it won't be something to go along with. It will be what they know.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Why are people so against children having fun these days?

I genuinly do not understand why most people (not you specifically) are convinced the fun has to include the candy and unhealthy treats though. We had a lot of fun at the healthy Halloween event yesterday. In fact, it is all my daughter has talked about. I think it is all in finding the alternatives.
    It's a tradition. It's fun. And IT'S ONE NIGHT A YEAR. Halloween is not the cause of the obesity problem in this country.

I loved trick or treating as a kid. I loved taking my daughter when she was little. I miss being able to do it. It isn't the candy I miss. That was just part of the fun. Now everyone wants to take it away. It's not just Halloween falling prey to this thinking, but it's a big part of it. Sad. Very, very, very sad.

And for the record, I got and ate candy every year. And on Easter, too. And I wasn't overweight until I was 29 years old.

I think the problem is that generally we (Americans especially) celebrate most things (Holidays, Birthdays, Successes, you name it.. etc) with food. Food is delicious and it is nice to have treats every once and while, of course it is. My point was that the trick or treating and unhealthy candies to not have to be the centerpiece of the holiday. We celebrated the holiday and had a great time. I think our beef personally with the food is the ingredients rather than the amount of sugar. Not all people feel that way and that is perfectly acceptable. To each thier own I suppose. To infer that I robbed my child of the holiday and that is it "sad" is over reaching, in my opinion.

Below is a valid point as well, so my response was not completely in line with the original question. I would not take the celebration away from my children to go to a Zumba class. I would find some other way to celebrate or let them go with someone else if that was my only reasoning.

"I don't think the OP had spared a thought to whether the candy would be good for her children. That's not what motivated her post.

It seemed to all be about her inability to not steal her children's candy resulting in her denying them a happy and fun night because she sucks. "
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Rubyann, I don't know how old your child is, but if it becomes a battle to miss trick or treating, you may want to look into your health food stores around you and find out if they have trade in days. One by us will swap out the junk for healthier treats the day after.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sounds very selfish to me! Get some self control and skip the zumba for tonight!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I5FZM.gif
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Aw heck. Go t-o-t'ing.

W/my kids, I limited how much they could have ea. day. When there was tons of candy, I would take as much as they did, but rather than eat it, I would put it away. A week later, the candy that the kids know about would be seriously depleted, so this doesn't go on forever. AND, the candy that I'd been collecting was brought to work and shared (left in the lunchroom).

I could never take away the fun that is Trick-or-Treating.
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    OP, will it really hurt you not to go to Zumba one night? This seems so unfair to your children, especially on top the fact that you're making what should be a special event for them all about you. Childhood is fleeting and kids only get so many Halloweens before they're too old to trick or treat, and before you know it, your kids are adults and grown up and bam, no more special nights doing silly things like this! The memories of doing stuff like this together are MORE important than a night of Zumba.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Your are very welcome! :happy:
    But if you really think of smothering your kids like that... dont have any..... :indifferent: sorry I am direct and honest... but just dont....
  • Erisad
    Options

...yeah, good luck finding a safer neighborhood. The neighborhoods that used to be safe no longer are.

Hmmm...hopefully they'll go along with that. >.<

It's hard to believe there is nowhere that has a safer neighborhood. You can even take kids to shopping malls for trick or treating. As a parent, talk to the neighborhood schools about having trick or treat indoors at the school. You can do your part to make that happen. Besides, you don't have children yet. Who knows where you will be living? If children are taught from the start that Trick or Treating is about fun and giving to others, it won't be something to go along with. It will be what they know.

Maybe not nearby. Who wants to drive for an hour just to trick-or-treat?

Yeah if I'm having kids where I am or where my bf is currently living, we'd both be hard pressed to find somewhere safe unless we decide to move hours away from both of our families. :/

The school thing is an idea. Although that might require the teachers to actually stay after hours or give up part of their standardized test prep to let them do it during the school day. It's something to consider though.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    As a kid, it would really hurt and upset me if my parent did this to me (especially if it wasn't the norm to miss trick or treating).

Don't be a jerk to your kids.

Let them BE kids. Let them have fun. Let them do the things they enjoy and if you're worried about the candy, have them donate some of it to family members and/or share it with their friends at school or whatever. There are ways to get around that if you're concerned with too much candy.

When I was 9 my mother stopped taking us trick or treating. ): Saddest day ever.

PS: My sister takes her kids trick or treating. They can't eat ANY of the candy (allergies) but they don't CARE. The trick or treating is fun to them anyway.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Here's a completely off the wall idea........when you become a parent move to a safe neighbourhood. Then you can allow them the normal fun childhood things. My kids have outgrown trick or treating but I have great memories of going out with them and and the candy didn't make them fat because they've been very physically active (it's called participating in sports - just because you had issues don't wreck your future kids fun)
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Evil, no.......selfish, yes. Part of the deal when you become a parent is that your kids come first (especially if they're still young enough to be trick or treating), yeah, it's a PITA sometimes but it comes with the job.
    Exactly!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Not evil, just mean, it's not your kids' fault you have little to no self control.
  • Erisad
    Options
    Your are very welcome! :happy:
    But if you really think of smothering your kids like that... dont have any..... :indifferent: sorry I am direct and honest... but just dont....

So wanting my children to not get shot by gang members and to eat healthy is smothering, then what kind of parent should I be? Suuuuure, eat all the fatty foods you want and then dance in the middle of traffic at night. I wouldn't want someone on the internet to think I'm no fun! :/
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I think your reasons are kind of crummy but hey...to each his/her own. I suppose looking out for THEIR HEALTH would be a better reason but they're your kids.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Exactly!

This.