hurricane sandy

Options
167891012»

Replies

• LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Wow! Heartbreaking, almost unbelievable the damage in that slide show..
    I lived in FL my whole life, experience tropical storms, hurricanes, and whatnot yearly. I have some food in the fridge, food in the freezer, and gas in my car. It's a category one.. Some flooding, loss of electric, and down trees. I'm more pissed that my flight got cancelled because I've driven through worse. Not worried honestly.
    4fvgdaq_th.gif You just don't get it do you?! :noway: :frown: smh ...and loving the ignore feature back up and working again!

Jesus Christ some people can't stop rehashing old s#it.

It was worse than I had originally anticipated. Due to previous storm encounters just applying previous knowledge. No power here still.

Stop being bitter because people are calling you out and you can't handle it. You were very smug and as it turns out, VERY wrong. Get over it. In the spirit of mankind though, we should all just accept your very humble apology.

aaaaand lets stop this. is it really worth *****ing about who was right and who was wrong? who cares. it could have just as easily turned out like last year with Irene and rachel would have been right. let's focus on the people in need and the amazing recovery effort already underway and stop pointing fingers. deal?

She acts like she's the only one without power in freezing temperatures. Quit the holier than thou attitude, I had anticipated another "Irene" and was wrong. I also am low on food and have no heat. I'm suffering just as much as you are, we had 3 houses destroyed just by trees in our development, and trees blocking every roadway with downed powerlines. I made a bad call and I owned up to the fact it was worse than I thought, and not only have I apologized but I keep dealing with you dragging it through the mud over and over. Many were wrong about this storm, and you taking all your frustrations and bad attitude about your current predicament out on me doesn't make you better off than I am. We are all struggling together.

And trust me, your foul attitude taken out towards me continuously over a weight loss internet forum has no effect on how I sleep at night. I've been through a lot in my life, and dealing with someone who continues to belittle someone to nothing to make themselves feel better even when said person owns up and not only admits that they are wrong, but apologizes, shows what type of person you are. I've been through a lot in my life and there isn't anything I can't handle. Now you can stop egging on an argument to put your say so in and I'll use your own words. "Get over it."

CONTINUES? I responded to you ONE time and only once. Your use of the word "continues" is entirely incorrect. I never said a one thing to you before today. "Continues" implies more than one message or occurrence. I have absolutely no desire to waste my laptop charge on you and your ignorant opinions.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Wow! Heartbreaking, almost unbelievable the damage in that slide show..
    I lived in FL my whole life, experience tropical storms, hurricanes, and whatnot yearly. I have some food in the fridge, food in the freezer, and gas in my car. It's a category one.. Some flooding, loss of electric, and down trees. I'm more pissed that my flight got cancelled because I've driven through worse. Not worried honestly.
    4fvgdaq_th.gif You just don't get it do you?! :noway: :frown: smh ...and loving the ignore feature back up and working again!

Jesus Christ some people can't stop rehashing old s#it.

It was worse than I had originally anticipated. Due to previous storm encounters just applying previous knowledge. No power here still.

Stop being bitter because people are calling you out and you can't handle it. You were very smug and as it turns out, VERY wrong. Get over it. In the spirit of mankind though, we should all just accept your very humble apology.

aaaaand lets stop this. is it really worth *****ing about who was right and who was wrong? who cares. it could have just as easily turned out like last year with Irene and rachel would have been right. let's focus on the people in need and the amazing recovery effort already underway and stop pointing fingers. deal?

She acts like she's the only one without power in freezing temperatures. Quit the holier than thou attitude, I had anticipated another "Irene" and was wrong. I also am low on food and have no heat. I'm suffering just as much as you are, we had 3 houses destroyed just by trees in our development, and trees blocking every roadway with downed powerlines. I made a bad call and I owned up to the fact it was worse than I thought, and not only have I apologized but I keep dealing with you dragging it through the mud over and over. Many were wrong about this storm, and you taking all your frustrations and bad attitude about your current predicament out on me doesn't make you better off than I am. We are all struggling together.

And trust me, your foul attitude taken out towards me continuously over a weight loss internet forum has no effect on how I sleep at night. I've been through a lot in my life, and dealing with someone who continues to belittle someone to nothing to make themselves feel better even when said person owns up and not only admits that they are wrong, but apologizes, shows what type of person you are. I've been through a lot in my life and there isn't anything I can't handle. Now you can stop egging on an argument to put your say so in and I'll use your own words. "Get over it."

CONTINUES? I responded to you ONE time and only once. Your use of the word "continues" is entirely incorrect. I never said a one thing to you before today. "Continues" implies more than one message or occurrence. I have absolutely no desire to waste my laptop charge on you and your ignorant opinions.
    Yet you posted...
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yet you posted...

Point made.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting how people who are low on food and freezing have the battery power and access to argue on the internet...
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    It's really interesting how people who are low on food and freezing have the battery power and access to argue on the internet...

Neighbors got a generator, mcdonalds has power plugs. Phones charge off of computers. Lucky me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLlZh9yelk
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

I am spending the night at my mother in laws house so I don't freeze to death and I can charge my phone to talk to my parents in New york. Should I have just sat at home in my dark freezing condo and not tried to find out how my entire family is? Half of my family is in the boroughs of NYC (Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn) and half is on long island (suffolk and nassau) Every single one has been hit hard - some more than others.

It should be noted that my mother in law doesn't have any food or gas either here in New Jersey. But I am extremely grateful for the lights and electrical sockets she has does have to offer us.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I am spending the night at my mother in laws house so I don't freeze to death and I can charge my phone to talk to my parents in New york. Should I have just sat at home in my dark freezing condo and not tried to find out how my entire family is? Half of my family is in the boroughs of NYC (Queens, Staten Island and Brooklyn) and half is on long island (suffolk and nassau) Every single one has been hit hard - some more than others.

It should be noted that my mother in law doesn't have any food or gas either here in New Jersey. But I am extremely grateful for the lights and electrical sockets she has does have to offer us.

We're all sorry for your situation but it does NO ONE any good to take it out on us. We're not you're enemy. No one is.
    Everyone's just trying to do their best right now ok? So please focus on your family and the things that matter and drop this pointless internet argument. If there is anything we could do to help we would.
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that your all going through this, I wish I could help you. Know that many of us are thinking about you and sending love and prayers your way. Stay safe!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    it's turning into Katrina in NYC... the city spending resources on a marathon when people are still without power, food, water, shelter, are freezing to death, eating out of dumpsters, and there's a winter snow storm on the way.

unbelievable.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    it's turning into Katrina in NYC... the city spending resources on a marathon when people are still without power, food, water, shelter, are freezing to death, eating out of dumpsters, and there's a winter snow storm on the way.

unbelievable.

they just cancelled the marathon, according to reuters, but yes this sees like it is hurricane katrina all over again.

thankfully the "nor'easter" is just going to bring some rain and 20mph winds. snow is not expected in NYC or NJ.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

unbelievable.

they just cancelled the marathon, according to reuters, but yes this sees like it is hurricane katrina all over again.

thankfully the "nor'easter" is just going to bring some rain and 20mph winds. snow is not expected in NYC or NJ.

honestly thank you for your posting yesterday - it really opened my eyes. i had bought into the medias portrayal of the recovery, but your story made me start doing the research and i'm SHOCKED at how much the media is ignoring the desperate situation people are in.

I'm going down to volunteer tomorrow. I just can't sit by idly while people 5 miles away are suffering so badly. if anyone in an unaffected part of NYC wants to come with, shoot me a message. We're meeting up at 11am @ Columbus Circle then heading down to a staging area on the lower east side. Please consider doing what you can for people whose lives have been torn apart.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

unbelievable.

honestly thank you for your posting yesterday - it really opened my eyes. i had bought into the medias portrayal of the recovery, but your story made me start doing the research and i'm SHOCKED at how much the media is ignoring the desperate situation people are in.

I'm going down to volunteer tomorrow. I just can't sit by idly while people 5 miles away are suffering so badly. if anyone in an unaffected part of NYC wants to come with, shoot me a message. We're meeting up at 11am @ Columbus Circle then heading down to a staging area on the lower east side. Please consider doing what you can for people whose lives have been torn apart.

Is there anything those of us who aren't local can do to help? I feel horribly helpless right now (in Miami with some friends who are stuck in NYC). Are there organizations that are actively working to help with the food and shelter situation?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Is there anything those of us who aren't local can do to help? I feel horribly helpless right now (in Miami with some friends who are stuck in NYC). Are there organizations that are actively working to help with the food and shelter situation?

yeah there is.

unfortunately the truth is that the Red Cross has been less than useless. the organization I've been following and I'll be working with tomorrow is actually a remnant from the Occupy movement. Regardless of your political beliefs, these folks are doing what no other group right now is - and that's ACTIVELY HELPING the people that need generators, blankets, food, water, etc. They're doing amazing work.

Check them out here: https://recovers.org/communities (scroll to the bottom. the last 4 are their sandy cleanup organizations) or you can go to nyc.gov/service

and if you want to donate, you can do that here: https://www.wepay.com/donations/occupy-sandy-cleanup-volunteers
  • VelociMama
    Options

yeah there is.

unfortunately the truth is that the Red Cross has been less than useless. the organization I've been following and I'll be working with tomorrow is actually a remnant from the Occupy movement. Regardless of your political beliefs, these folks are doing what no other group right now is - and that's ACTIVELY HELPING the people that need generators, blankets, food, water, etc. They're doing amazing work.

Check them out here: https://recovers.org/communities (scroll to the bottom. the last 4 are their sandy cleanup organizations) or you can go to nyc.gov/service

and if you want to donate, you can do that here: https://www.wepay.com/donations/occupy-sandy-cleanup-volunteers

I will pass this along. Thank you!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    As per CoachReddy's comment above, here is a brief list of on-the-ground organizations offering food and aide to people in the New York and New Jersey area.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Occupy-Sandy-Relief-NJ/364593683632382
    https://www.facebook.com/HurricaneSandyReliefDrive
    https://www.facebook.com/OccupySandyReliefNyc?ref=stream

If any of you have any more organizations that need help or donations, please list them so those of us who aren't local can pitch in and help.

If you prefer to send supplies directly, donations can be sent to:

St. Jacobi Church
    c/o Occupy Sandy Relief
    5406 4th Ave Brooklyn, NY 11220
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    All the above said about NJ and NYis true to PA also. No power till Monday earliest and its below freezing tonight and into the 20s the rest of the week. They got a gas station across the street power but everyone else is freezing and starving without any.