Deleting Friends...

Options
Fr33zefram3
Fr33zefram3 Posts: 163 Member
Just curious, as I've seen my friends list shrinking little by little.

But, why would you unfriend someone? Because they're annoying or, because they don't talk enough. They go on about how they are too skinny/fat. Maybe they haven't logged on in long enough?

Wondering what the reasons are for some people.

Replies

• Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I deleted people if they havent logged on for 14 days or more and people i think r idiots lol
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i only deactivate when they haven't logged in for two weeks. i hate getting those "so and so hasn't logged in for ___" messages.

other than that i really do not delete. unless somebody starts religious or political talk. i do not want to see that my my feed.

i am pretty easy going.
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There needs to be support both ways. If that is not happening then there seems to be little point in continuing the friendship.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    selling things...otherwise I am pretty easy going.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    selling things is the only reason I've ever deleted someone.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I, personally, don't unfriend anyone (here or facebook) unless they give me a real reason. But, I've seen people here do it if they don't think the person is helping them or motivating them like they hoped they would. To each their own I guess..
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Just as in real life, some people are just going to rub you the wrong way. I am on here for support. If I feel someone is bringing me down (whatever the reason) then I get rid of them. I will not, however, delete someone just because they haven't logged in for a while. My support may be just what they need when they come back.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I haven't personally deleted anyone,
    I was deleted by one person that I noticed after not seeing her on my news feed for about a week. I think I commented on something she posted or maybe on her diary that she didn't like or she found my posts annoying.
    Everyone has thier reasons, I don't know what mine are yet!
  • big_drake
    Options
    I only had one friend that hadn't logged on for like a month so it wasn't hard. I'm not here to make friends. I guess I wouldn't get all but hurt if someone dropped me. It's not like I've ever met anyone on here in real life. it's just the internets.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If it's not a relative, I'd only delete someone if they were inactive for a month or so. I try to send them a message first though, saying that if they come back, I'm still willing to support them.

I did delete a few who had added me after I had stated that I had recovered from anorexia/bulimia. They were still that way and it was too hard for me to keep them as friends. Before deleting them, I did suggest they get professional help though.

I guess I'm lucky. None of my friends are annoying or whiney. That's probably me. Thank God they still support me!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    People who don't support me (not logging in for weeks at a time) Never comment on my stuff even though I'm commenting on theirs. People who criticize my food choices (not everyone can afford whole grains and fresh fruit...) People who whine about working out. People who annoy me with bad grammar or spelling.

Friends I keep encourage me, answer my questions, laugh with me, understand me, and (I hope) genuinely like me!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I delete people because:

- They are inactive for an extended period of time. I don't care that you went on vacation and didn't log in, I care that you didn't take me with you.

- I look at your posts and go "Why did I add this person again?"

- Your posts seem sane but your posts on the boards reek of insanity.

All grounds for dismissal. And just overall, I get annoyed and delete people.
  • alanabeehave
    Options
    I like to be friends with people who are on the same page as me.. those who eat a healthy amount, exercise and have developed a lifestyle out of it. I find myself deleting people mostly because they under eat then whine because they can't stay on track or don't care about fitness, eat a lot of processed foods or complain a lot. I just deleted someone because of his play by play -10 posts a day for several days straight- of his detailed illness including his diarrhea.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If someone is constantly talking about how they ate so much junk and went over their calories, but they don't care cuz they had a bad day and deserved ice cream or donuts or beer, etc. After a while I can't handle seeing it and will usually hide them at least from my news feed. If it continues and they constantly whine about not losing weight, but won't do anything to change it, then they are gone. Don't need to see it. Fortunately I don't have anyone who does that on my list.

If they haven't logged in for a month, I generally go ahead and delete them cuz it makes me sad to see it.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i've only deleted one person..
    she was on the verge of a eating disorder, i tried to talk her out of the "Skinnygirl" unhealthy diet.
    and she wouldnt listen..but, basically she ate 300 calories everyday and i was worried about her.
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I delete if people haven't logged in for 20days (unless that have said they are going away for a while) also people with eating disorders, people who talk about killing themselves or who contantly eat really low cal diets
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Different people have different reasons.

I've unfriended people who I never had any contact with and can't remember how we became friends, especially if they haven't been on in forever (like months and months and months).

The only reason I make a point to unfriend, though, is if someone says something I find very offensive. I'm not easily offended, so it would have to be pretty bad.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There needs to be support both ways. If that is not happening then there seems to be little point in continuing the friendship.
    This
  • HollywoodDJ
    Options
    I have deleted very good friends and even family members on here....If they are unsupportive then I delete them. I do not have time for people who will not support me....especially here on MFP. I need support and encouragement....this train is moving forward so either STEP ON....or STEP OFF! Sorry, but that is how I have to live my life and some people are not only unsupportive and un-encouraging...but jealous. Jealousy is a plague that will kill any relationship and I will weed you out if I even suspect a hint of these qualities.

Learning to fill my life with positive people and influences is the best thing I have ever done! It isn't easy and it doesn't happen overnight but if you want it you will make the changes!

Ok...off my soapbox now.

hehehehe

:drinker:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I only deleted one person for selling things. Other than that, I'd delete if I catch somebody being mean.